November 25, 2017, 11:52:59 AM

Author Topic: Everton v Stoke City  (Read 32847 times)

November 29, 2011, 08:21:27 PM
Reply #15

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
I think the atmosphere will be intense and we will up our game.  A comfortable 2-0 win.

November 29, 2011, 10:08:17 PM
Reply #16

howard1334

Howard

Coleman Jags Heitinga Baines

Bily Rodwell Fellaini Drenthe

Vellios Saha

Please.

I love this lineup, but would swap Drenthe and Bily. Drenthe is more dangerous on the left and Bily is better suited to playing with Baines because he drifts inside allowing Baines to overlap. Same thing with Drenthe and Coleman. Drenthe cutting in allows coleman to overlap. This runs the risk of over congesting the middle of the park, however we seem to be not getting enough people into the box on crosses anyways, so filling the middle may not be a bad thing after all. In the end though, we have no chance of seeing this lineup. O well.

November 30, 2011, 03:17:54 AM
Reply #17

RICH

November 30, 2011, 07:44:22 AM
Reply #18

the doc

I think the atmosphere will be intense and we will up our game.  A comfortable 2-0 win.
I really hope the fans and the team are up for this one! Gary Speed played for a few teams, but at the end of the day he was an Evertonion as a fan and was proud to be our captain! We have been flat all season, If we can't raise our game this week I give up, 3-1 to us and Cahill to get 2!

November 30, 2011, 09:16:17 PM
Reply #19

Straq attack

3-1 to the blue boys.Stoke are terrible away from home their only real threat is ariel and we have the Cbs to deal with that!

Would love to see Gueye and or Strac(if any game is gonna suit him it's gotta be this one)get some minutes at the end.

I agree completely - looking at this cold, the stoke game would be one where both Straq and Vellios up front together could work really well - looked dangerous when they were both on towards the end of the wigan game.  Given we seem to only play long balls anyway, why fight it - would rather these two fighting for it than Saha and Cahill (despite both still being great in the air).

However, wanting to see 2 out-and-out strikers start a game this season for us is a dream I have long since given up on...

November 30, 2011, 09:28:19 PM
Reply #20

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
I would love to see us start with 2 up front against these, Bolton beat them at home 5-0, with the 2 big fellas Straq and Vellios up there we would tear these apart! I would well be up for seeing your user name 'Straq Attack' given a go!
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

November 30, 2011, 09:47:01 PM
Reply #21

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I love this lineup, but would swap Drenthe and Bily. Drenthe is more dangerous on the left and Bily is better suited to playing with Baines because he drifts inside allowing Baines to overlap. Same thing with Drenthe and Coleman. Drenthe cutting in allows coleman to overlap. This runs the risk of over congesting the middle of the park, however we seem to be not getting enough people into the box on crosses anyways, so filling the middle may not be a bad thing after all. In the end though, we have no chance of seeing this lineup. O well.

The only issue with that is it leaves our right hand side weak defensively as neither Coleman or Drenthe are great at the back.

Having said that, we're Everton and we dictate what we play, not the opposition. Or have I gone back 25 years?
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin

November 30, 2011, 09:52:21 PM
Reply #22

cantoffee

I have no idea why people want to play Vellios and Strac against Stoke. Are we trying to play the game they want to play? I'm fine with one of Vellios or Cahill to batter and battle their CBs but even though I think Saha is dangerously out of form he'd do well turning and running at them.

November 30, 2011, 11:39:36 PM
Reply #23

plumber

I have no idea why people want to play Vellios and Strac against Stoke. Are we trying to play the game they want to play? I'm fine with one of Vellios or Cahill to batter and battle their CBs but even though I think Saha is dangerously out of form he'd do well turning and running at them.
Agree.
We don't need to emulate Stoke to beat them. We are still better than those lumberjacks.

November 30, 2011, 11:45:12 PM
Reply #24

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
Agree.
We don't need to emulate Stoke to beat them. We are still better than those lumberjacks.

Still do you think we are going to play a free flowing passing game against them or do you expect to see Jags hoofing a lot of long balls? I hope I'm wrong but I can see us playing long ball, and if we do that I would rather have someone up their with a fighting chance of winning one of those long balls.
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

November 30, 2011, 11:55:03 PM
Reply #25

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Stoke are shit

December 01, 2011, 12:54:53 AM
Reply #26

plumber

Still do you think we are going to play a free flowing passing game against them or do you expect to see Jags hoofing a lot of long balls? I hope I'm wrong but I can see us playing long ball, and if we do that I would rather have someone up their with a fighting chance of winning one of those long balls.

We are not the same since Arteta and Pienaar left, but with Baines, Drenthe, Osman  we are still capable of playing something similar to football betweentimes.
I think we have no chance if we play long balls against Stoke anyway and Stracq is not the answer.

December 01, 2011, 01:43:52 AM
Reply #27

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
We are not the same since Arteta and Pienaar left, but with Baines, Drenthe, Osman  we are still capable of playing something similar to football betweentimes.
I think we have no chance if we play long balls against Stoke anyway and Stracq is not the answer.

I agree that I wouldn't wanna see us play that way, just saying if we did resort to long balls like we seem to have done quite a bit this season, I'd fancy our chances more if we had 2 big fellas with aerial ability rather than a low on confidence Saha. Hopefully we do try and play some proper football against them cos they are a bunch of yard dogs.

December 01, 2011, 10:14:02 AM
Reply #28

American Evertonian

Howard

Coleman Jags Heitinga Baines

Bily Rodwell Fellaini Drenthe

Vellios Saha

Please.

You read my mind Blargs. I would love to see this although I'd be amazed if Moyes actually did it. I think Moyes should give the 4-4-2 a go at least once. Our 4-2-3-1 doesn't suit our players too much.
A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are for.

December 01, 2011, 06:33:44 PM
Reply #29

blueski

Lets hope we get Rodwell and Drenthe back for this one, if we do it theoretically should be easy goings against this lot
Nil Satis