November 23, 2017, 06:11:57 AM

Author Topic: Aston Villa V Everton  (Read 31349 times)

January 15, 2012, 04:03:01 AM
Reply #360

AidyEFC9

Reasonable performance but felt like a brilliant performance compared to some recent games. Refreshing line up obviously partly forced by injury and was really disappointed that Saha and Cahill started again! There's stubborn and then there's DM.

For me:

Howard 6.5 - couple of iffy moments.
Neville 7 - RB best position but distribution still sideways.
Heitinga 7 - steady game
Duffy 7 - looked the part and deserves credit for stepping up to Prem
Baines 6.5 - steady but not as involved as usual and some poor set pieces.

Donovan 7.5 - good on the break with some mixed crossing
Felli 7 - very good first half but got sloppy in second and not as effective
Gibson 7 Good debut and actually looks to pass forward!
Drenthe 5.5 - conceded possession regularly

Cahill 5.5 no impact again
Saha 6 - good effort in first half and should have had pen but not doing it overall

Anichebe 7.5 - Goal and looked a handful when he came on - wrap him in cotton wool

Bily / Denis - unfair to judge
DM 7 but would be higher if braver and earlier subs used

COYB

Don't agree with you giving Saha a better rating than Cahill. Alright, Cahill wasn't brilliant but he put more of a shift in than Saha and got more involved with the play today, i thought Cahill did well considering he's been poor of late.

And im not sure about Neville getting a 7 either. He did ok but for a player of his age and experience, he still makes silly fouls in pointless areas, and he wont give up trying to chip it down the line to no one.

Thought Duffy showed up well and didn't look out of place and Gibson looked good aswell to say he's been with us a day. Atleast he looks to play forward, penetrative passes which we've lacked for a long time, and he always shows for the ball and gets in space.

Donovan was definitely MOTM!. Never stopped running, worked hard and showed his quality on the ball and were going to miss him when he goes!. His runs beyond the striker, always looking to get in behind and stretch teams is what were going to miss most, we don't have a single player who will do that apart from him and it's what helps us out alot in getting at teams when trying to attack and it's a shame we wont ever be able to sign him permanently.

January 15, 2012, 06:22:10 AM
Reply #361

Geordie Blue

Don't agree with you giving Saha a better rating than Cahill. Alright, Cahill wasn't brilliant but he put more of a shift in than Saha and got more involved with the play today, i thought Cahill did well considering he's been poor of late.

And im not sure about Neville getting a 7 either. He did ok but for a player of his age and experience, he still makes silly fouls in pointless areas, and he wont give up trying to chip it down the line to no one.

Thought Duffy showed up well and didn't look out of place and Gibson looked good aswell to say he's been with us a day. Atleast he looks to play forward, penetrative passes which we've lacked for a long time, and he always shows for the ball and gets in space.

Donovan was definitely MOTM!. Never stopped running, worked hard and showed his quality on the ball and were going to miss him when he goes!. His runs beyond the striker, always looking to get in behind and stretch teams is what were going to miss most, we don't have a single player who will do that apart from him and it's what helps us out alot in getting at teams when trying to attack and it's a shame we wont ever be able to sign him permanently.

Just watched highlights again on MOTD and Cahill did a few good things so maybe harsh I'm probably guilty of what others are doing with Neville and rating him not on the day but based on recent form. I see Neville has been getting a load of 4's on the other thread which is totally unfair - ok 7 might be pushing it but 4 - come on! Agree with your other points - Donovan definitely creates a lot with his runs and outstanding pass today for the goal.
"I used to stick the ball in the net and bow three times to the kop. They never liked me doing that." Dixie Dean