October 15, 2019, 06:38:39 PM

Author Topic: the fa want roy hodgson  (Read 14496 times)

May 01, 2012, 06:24:24 AM
Reply #60

Thornton_19

You pick your best team regardless of age.

We can't be going to Brazil in 2014 with a bunch of 30+ year olds, just like we can't go to it with a bunch of untested new generation of players. This tournament should be used for sacking off the dead wood of the squad and seeing what we have left with keeping a few key players in place to help the new lads along.

May 01, 2012, 05:35:46 PM
Reply #61

Batley

Joe Hart picks himself and judging by what I've seen lately, I think Foster should go as his understudy (also Woy will know his capabilities from working with him at West Brom). I think third choice keeper position is up for grabs - could well end up being either Ruddy or Fraser Forster (currently on loan at Celtic).

Defence - I would leave John Terry and Rio Ferdinand at home...but too controversial for any new England manager and won't happen. First choice for me would probably be: Walker - Cahill/Jags (depending on Cahill's injury) - Lescott - Baines/Cole (depending on Baines's injury). The likes of Chris Smalling, Phil Jones, Kieran Gibbs, Carl Jenkinson should also make the preliminary squad.

Midfield - Get rid of Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham, etc. Scholes should be asked to come out of retirement though. Oxlade-Chamberlain should feature in the squad (although Arsene hasn't used him much) for the experience. I do think that Gareth Barry should retain his place, but only as Parker's deputy.

Forward - Wellbeck and Sturridge should be in and around the sqaud. Rooney obviously. The big decision is probably either taking Crouch or Holt.

May 01, 2012, 05:36:11 PM
Reply #62

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
I dont think the media have realized a lot of the problems we have with the England team are to do with them.

I believe they know full well that they're part of the problem and not the solution but those juicy profits are just too hard to turn down.
I didn't even remember I had a signature.

May 01, 2012, 06:28:39 PM
Reply #63

Batley

Looks like it's a done deal. Press conference called for 4pm.

May 01, 2012, 06:30:50 PM
Reply #64

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I believe they know full well that they're part of the problem and not the solution but those juicy profits are just too hard to turn down.

"England perform to a level about commensurate with their ability" isn't going to get anyone reading or buying the article/paper!

Therefore, as you say, it has to be extremes.

May 01, 2012, 07:11:26 PM
Reply #65

Evertonexile

Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

May 01, 2012, 09:33:40 PM
Reply #66

Thom

Administrator
He's signed a four year contract. He will take charge of Albion's last two matches of the season and then leave to head up the squad ahead of the Euros.

May 01, 2012, 09:53:48 PM
Reply #67

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
Good luck to him. I don't expect him to be very successful, but the FA fucked themselves over already with this stupid idea that they want an English manager at a time when there simply aren't any quality English managers around.
I didn't even remember I had a signature.

May 01, 2012, 11:13:49 PM
Reply #68

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Good luck to him. I don't expect him to be very successful, but the FA fucked themselves over already with this stupid idea that they want an English manager at a time when there simply aren't any quality English managers around.

Pretty much this. Good luck to him, but I'll surprised if at the earliest opportunity the media who clearly had picked their man aren't on his back. Graham Taylor mk2 I think unfortunately.

May 02, 2012, 12:07:26 AM
Reply #69

Thornton_19

I think he'll surprise a lot of people, think he could be a good if not great appointment by the FA. That being said i do feel if he does fail, the FA have a nice little media scapegoat already there because of the controversial decision.

May 02, 2012, 12:08:12 AM
Reply #70

whirlwind82

Worryingly he has said he plans talks with Rio Ferdinand. I hope its to tell him that he is fucking him off otherwise we are in a heap of shit! :tit:

May 02, 2012, 12:18:20 AM
Reply #71

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
I think he'll surprise a lot of people, think he could be a good if not great appointment by the FA. That being said i do feel if he does fail, the FA have a nice little media scapegoat already there because of the controversial decision.

I think we will be playing for 0-0 and to avoid relegation from the group.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Cenk Tosun, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

May 02, 2012, 12:47:54 AM
Reply #72

Ridge

Interestingly, the only England manager to have experience of International management prior to appointment. When he took over the Swiss team, they hadn't qualified for a World Cup for 28 years, or European Championships at all.

As far as I'm concerned, the guy has done nothing but good things in football, especially in this country.

May 02, 2012, 12:57:37 AM
Reply #73

nebs

It\s a pretty spineless appointment in my view.

His record is average at best. I think I read somewhere that he wins a third, draws a third and loses a third of all games. He also averages something pathetic like a goal a game.

I can't understand why some people seem to think he's this great guy that commands respect wherever he goes. He comes across as desperate to please.

Although I'm not defending the RS treatment of him, I can understand why he didn't gel with them. He's boring, his football is boring and doesn't get results.

I'm pretty sure this will end in tears.

But who cares? It's just England.  :)

May 02, 2012, 01:02:14 AM
Reply #74

Derek

I think it's a good appointment. He's a likeable bloke and he's definitely capable of managing a team in a knock out competition.

The only thing I would say is that the England team is a fucking circus and I don't know how he'll handle that. That said, I prefer his form of polite yet firm management as opposed to the ridiculously melodramatic, barely emotional brand of Capello. It was condescending and, frankly, boring.

Anyway. Fuck international football. It's for tools.

:)
Clarion Call.

On Twitter: @derekveskotsku