October 17, 2019, 10:12:57 AM

Author Topic: The David Beckham appreciation thread  (Read 13618 times)

October 21, 2012, 02:19:48 AM
Reply #15

sharpattack

Him and Owen pretty much carried England throughout the 00s
Really?how did that work out?
NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
The Board might forget, we don't

October 21, 2012, 02:21:04 AM
Reply #16

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah, a very good player, but was never one of the greats. Not even close, really. Seems like a good bloke, and he's had a good career, but as many have said, his celebrity outshines his ability.

The thing is that he's got the best right foot in history. And I love flawed geniuses.
I didn't even remember I had a signature.

October 21, 2012, 02:59:35 AM
Reply #17

Optimistic Blue

Really?how did that work out?

Love you sharpy, i just think that ever since Beckham got the shaft from Mclaren and Owen got  his injury weve not reached the level anywhere near we did when we had them 2, 2002-2005 was when we had our best team i think and baring in mind this was when we had players like Trevor Sinclair playing on the wing, them 2 also seemed to really give a shit for england whilst the likes of Fat Frank and Gerrard played every game like they couldnt wait for it to be over so they could go back to their club.

Not that we were particuarly great with them 2 but they were certainly a hell of a lot better than the bunch of mongs weve got playing now
you cant take the right out of Kenwright

October 21, 2012, 03:51:22 AM
Reply #18

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
He did one thing incredibly well and it pushed him from being an average player to a very good one.  He put a shift in as well which I respect.  He could have just stood around waiting for free kicks and corners.

October 21, 2012, 04:30:37 AM
Reply #19

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
Let's be honest, the main thing that worked for him was his PR.  Marrying a spice girl, stage managing so many things.

He was a very good player too, but one who was elevated to a level far, far above his actual ability.  I like the fella though seems a decent bloke, and the way he turned his reputation round post the '98 world cup was great.

October 21, 2012, 04:43:36 AM
Reply #20

Gash

Global Moderator
I've always liked Beckham. I never thought he was quite as good as the hype that went with him at times, but a very good player none the less.

He always seemed to have a great ability and self belief to come back when knocked down. The likes of when he was at Real and Capello wasn't playing him and McLaren tried to make a name for himself by dropping him as well. I wish he'd stayed in Europe a year or two longer rather than go to LA when he was still fairly young.

A decent bloke as well by all accounts, it's just a shame about the cunt he's married to.

October 21, 2012, 04:51:25 AM
Reply #21

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

October 21, 2012, 06:27:28 AM
Reply #22

NomadskiEFC

NSNO Subscriber
He was a pretty face above a pair of legs that produced the most consistently brilliant crosses of his era. Nothing more, or less.
Once A Blue NEVER a Red

October 21, 2012, 09:01:54 AM
Reply #23

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
He has one thing that most English players don't have. BMT. He delivered when he desperately needed to. It's that swagger and confidence he has that propelled him to a level far above his ability.

He really Should have better taste in women though.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Cenk Tosun, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

October 21, 2012, 03:44:17 PM
Reply #24

nomorechang

RIP
We've all got skeletons in the closet .... Beckham just married his ;)
Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same"
Alan Ball

" Notoriously shy and laconic off the field, Dean's quotes are sparse. He is reputed to have said to an over-enthusiastic marker 'I'm going for a pee. You coming?' "

October 21, 2012, 05:52:09 PM
Reply #25

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
He has one thing that most English players don't have. BMT. He delivered when he desperately needed to. It's that swagger and confidence he has that propelled him to a level far above his ability.

He really Should have better taste in women though.

He been to your surgery?
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

October 21, 2012, 06:23:33 PM
Reply #26

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I don't think he was as good as was sometimes made out but then he was better than the level some people claimed he was in response to the over hyping.

He did have a fantastic right foot. In addition to his crossing he also scored some great goals, especially in the early years.

He was probably the "worst" player in Utd's midfield 4 of that time but that's no disgrace. You didn't get to play that regularly for Utd at that time without being a top player.

He was also a great example with his work rate and willingness to help out his fullback.

I think Derek summed it up; he was a very good player but not a great one (in the grand scheme of footballing history).

October 21, 2012, 07:33:18 PM
Reply #27

Craig_1878

I remember being at Goodison for this beauty. 

David Beckham Free kick vs Everton
"Sunday Bloody Sunday. What a great song. It really encapsulates the frustration of a Sunday, doesn't it? You wake up in the morning, you've got to read all the Sunday papers, the kids are running round, you've got to mow the lawn, wash the car, and you think "Sunday, bloody Sunday!"- Alan Partridge

October 22, 2012, 04:38:28 AM
Reply #28

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
I enjoyed the way he could put the ball on someones big toe from 60 yards.

October 22, 2012, 04:43:09 AM
Reply #29

Big Doug

there will never be a player with the same celeb status as him truly unique only ronaldo in his utd days looked close but even then far off oh yes babey