September 18, 2019, 02:04:20 PM

Author Topic: Should Gerrard Miss the WC?  (Read 4766 times)

March 21, 2010, 08:17:57 PM
Read 4766 times

Derek

He's been utterly pants this season, no kidding. If he is on the plane it's purely on past achievements, and almost certainly the rather flimsy belief that his "World Class Ability" could return at any moment.

Leaving aside our partisan distaste for the cheating, diving git, but what do you lot think?
Clarion Call.

On Twitter: @derekveskotsku

March 21, 2010, 08:23:27 PM
Reply #1

Gash

Global Moderator
I was thinking about this earlier actually.

You could say that about a few English players. Gerrard has been poor this season, Lampard isn't having the best of seasons by his standards, Ferdinand has struggled with injury and Terry has been all over the place recently.

Left back could be a problem, no offence to Baines. And apart from Rooney, there strikers won't send the fear of death in to many defenders. And none of the keepers are what you'd call World class.

I think alot of the media have been disrespectfull to other teams in their group, and England might well struggle a bit more than some people think they will.

March 21, 2010, 08:30:33 PM
Reply #2

Derek

Yep, it's been a bad season for many of their key players.

I think they'll flop. No chance of winning it in my eyes. A Semi should be considered a successful run, because I can't see them having the measure of the likes of Spain or Brazil.
Clarion Call.

March 21, 2010, 08:41:59 PM
Reply #3

fast lane

Let's put it like this: Who would you take instead of Gerrard? Does somebody else deserve to?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 08:46:41 PM by fast lane »
Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)

March 21, 2010, 08:43:56 PM
Reply #4

Derek

Well, that's the problem isn't it? Gerrard if playing well is perhaps amongst the best English midfielders, but if he's not playing well the surely Milner, Downing, Johnson and other players deserve it more? Milner especially this season, I'd say.
Clarion Call.

March 21, 2010, 08:57:39 PM
Reply #5

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
England have no chance with any players they pick
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

March 21, 2010, 09:01:28 PM
Reply #6

Thom

Administrator
Milner definitely deserves his chance. He's been outstanding this season and has shown Ashley Young up for the one trick pony he is.

Let's face it though, Capello hasn't stuck to his word. If he had, then Joe Hart and Milner would definitely be starting. Hell, Zamora would be Rooney's partner since his form dramatically improved from October!

March 21, 2010, 09:04:51 PM
Reply #7

evertonjoe

Gerrard should definitiley go but he shouldn't start on the left ahead of Milner or Johnson.

R.A.P Music

March 21, 2010, 09:58:53 PM
Reply #8

Endless, Nameless

Yep. He's a pile of shit.

Milner should take his place. That said, Lampard looks shit too... England's big boys are almost all injured or playing poorly.
Oh well, at least Baines is still ace.

March 21, 2010, 10:07:28 PM
Reply #9

Derek

Clarion Call.

March 21, 2010, 11:04:49 PM
Reply #10

bluestevie

gerrard should be playing in the middle for england, along side barry as lampard turns to shit everytime he wears the shirt. milner on the left and either wright-philips or walcott on the right.

i genuinely believe that we can do it this year as capello seems to have given the players the belief back that was missing under mclaren and eriksson
'Diamonds are forever and so are the Horseman' - Arn Anderson

March 21, 2010, 11:08:57 PM
Reply #11

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
I think Gerrard should be in the squad but it is the insistence on an automatic starting place that is wrong.  Milner has been excellent and people keep laughing but Zamora is playing far better than any other attacker bar Rooney right now.  Capello's "picking and playing on form" reputation is bollocks or Terry wouldn't play and Joe Hart would at least be number 2.

March 21, 2010, 11:09:32 PM
Reply #12

Endless, Nameless

I think Gerrard should be in the squad but it is the insistence on an automatic starting place that is wrong.  Milner has been excellent and people keep laughing but Zamora is playing far better than any other attacker bar Rooney right now.  Capello's "picking and playing on form" reputation is bollocks or Terry wouldn't play and Joe Hart would at least be number 2.

Yep.

What about Darren bent as well? He's on 20 for the season.
Oh well, at least Baines is still ace.

March 21, 2010, 11:16:05 PM
Reply #13

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Yep.

What about Darren bent as well? He's on 20 for the season.

Yeah good shout for Bent, what the poor fucker has to do I don't know.

March 21, 2010, 11:17:40 PM
Reply #14

evertonjoe

Yeah good shout for Bent, what the poor fucker has to do I don't know.

Play for a London club or one of the big 4 that seems the best way to get noticed.

R.A.P Music