October 20, 2019, 10:01:27 AM

Author Topic: Should Gerrard Miss the WC?  (Read 4824 times)

March 21, 2010, 11:17:46 PM
Reply #15

Endless, Nameless

Yeah good shout for Bent, what the poor fucker has to do I don't know.

I think the problem for England's strikers, is that it's no longer about being the best, it's about working well with Rooney. Must be disheartening for them.
Oh well, at least Baines is still ace.

March 21, 2010, 11:27:36 PM
Reply #16

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
I think the problem for England's strikers, is that it's no longer about being the best, it's about working well with Rooney. Must be disheartening for them.

And I can see the logic in it but Rooney is not a goal machine he is a creator who brings people into play himself, I don't see the need for this "flick on, hold up player" Capello seems to be obsessed with.

March 21, 2010, 11:33:08 PM
Reply #17

Endless, Nameless

And I can see the logic in it but Rooney is not a goal machine he is a creator who brings people into play himself, I don't see the need for this "flick on, hold up player" Capello seems to be obsessed with.

Rooney is both imo. That's why he's the best player this country has produced for many years.

But if I was Capello I'd take these 4 to SA:

Rooney
Crouch
Bent
Zamora

It would be a bold move, but I think Defoe is incredibly overrated and Heskey is just shit. If he supposedly goes on form then surely Heskey, who must have played 1 game in the last fucking 30, can't be in contention? Erm, besides that I think Bent is better than Carlton Cole and I don't think Agbonlahor is that great.

March 21, 2010, 11:44:51 PM
Reply #18

evertonjoe

Rooney is both imo. That's why he's the best player this country has produced for many years.

But if I was Capello I'd take these 4 to SA:

Rooney
Crouch
Bent
Zamora

It would be a bold move, but I think Defoe is incredibly overrated and Heskey is just shit. If he supposedly goes on form then surely Heskey, who must have played 1 game in the last fucking 30, can't be in contention? Erm, besides that I think Bent is better than Carlton Cole and I don't think Agbonlahor is that great.

I don't think you can leave out Defoe as he's scored 17 this season and has more international experience than Bent. I'd probably take Defoe in place of Zamora and keep Bent in the squad.

R.A.P Music

March 21, 2010, 11:45:04 PM
Reply #19

Derek

For me only Rooney and Crouch would be 100% from that list. If you go with blokes who score goals - it has to be Zamora and Bent.
Clarion Call.

On Twitter: @derekveskotsku

March 21, 2010, 11:48:57 PM
Reply #20

Endless, Nameless

I don't think you can leave out Defoe as he's scored 17 this season and has more international experience than Bent. I'd probably take Defoe in place of Zamora and keep Bent in the squad.

5 of Defoe's 17 came in 1 game... against Wigan. His form has actually been pretty poor.

March 21, 2010, 11:50:51 PM
Reply #21

evertonjoe

5 of Defoe's 17 came in 1 game... against Wigan. His form has actually been pretty poor.

A good point but he has actually performed at international level unlike Bent who has only ever been a dissapointment when called up

R.A.P Music

March 21, 2010, 11:52:20 PM
Reply #22

Endless, Nameless

A good point but he has actually performed at international level unlike Bent who has only ever been a dissapointment when called up

Maybe, but Defoe hasn't impressed internationally for a long time. He was awful in the last game. I'd take Agbonlahor over him, as at least he brings something extra; pace. Although I don't really rate him either.

March 22, 2010, 12:13:16 AM
Reply #23

.Rimbo.

Form is temporary, class is permanent.

March 22, 2010, 12:16:17 AM
Reply #24

Endless, Nameless

Form is temporary, class is permanent.

It is, until you're past your best. I think he might be past his best.

March 22, 2010, 12:19:11 AM
Reply #25

.Rimbo.

It is, until you're past your best. I think he might be past his best.

He may not be at his peak anymore but he's still one of the best midfielders in the world and probably England's best midfielder. Granted, he strikes me as a mazzy cunt, but the thought of taking Downing to the World Cup instead of him is just simply preposterous.

He's a match-winner. One of about three or four in the England team. He just has to be on that plane.

March 22, 2010, 01:12:26 AM
Reply #26

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
He may not be at his peak anymore but he's still one of the best midfielders in the world and probably England's best midfielder. Granted, he strikes me as a mazzy cunt, but the thought of taking Downing to the World Cup instead of him is just simply preposterous.

He's a match-winner. One of about three or four in the England team. He just has to be on that plane.

I wouldn't argue but I would debate whether his form should give him an unsubstitutable starting place.!

March 22, 2010, 01:23:10 AM
Reply #27

Optimistic Blue

maybe if he had the balls to drop Lampard and Gerrard they would actually start trying to earn their place rather than simply turn up with the knowing fact theyre gonna start
you cant take the right out of Kenwright

March 22, 2010, 01:27:19 AM
Reply #28

.Rimbo.

I wouldn't argue but I would debate whether his form should give him an unsubstitutable starting place.!

It depends on what system you want to play with really. He should clearly be in the squad. To suggest otherwise, to me, strikes me as a bit of Evertonian bias or something. There have been threads on this before, but personally, I would go for something like:
James

Johnson Someone Ferdinand Cole

Barry
Lampard.........Gerrard

Lennon....................... .........Walcott

Rooney

Play a similar system to Barcelona. Expansive full-backs, three ball-retaining central midfielders and the pace and purpose of Walcott and Lennon to provide Rooney with some support. It seems to be the most efficient system England could possibly play as it would probably be one of the few formations that can get the best out of both Lampard and Gerrard, and it would give us some much needed pace, energy and width.

Then, you have three central midfielders to play with. I suppose you could have Barry, Carrick and Lampard with Gerrard on the bench but I'd much prefer Gerrard over Carrick. Let's be honest, Carrick hasn't had a good season either. So if you're dropping Gerrard from the first team, who plays instead?

March 22, 2010, 03:41:15 AM
Reply #29

Amata

None of Englands supposed 'top players' have had a good season bar Rooney.

Ferdinand - only just played 4 games in a row and has been out for most of the season
Terry - lost captaincy and looks like its badly affected him-his form has dropped badly and not scoring goals this year like he normally does
Lampard - had a good season but not great by his usual standards
Gerrard - Had an awful season, looks fed up, half fit and not interested

Add that to Cole maybe not making it then I think we could really struggle.
All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind