September 23, 2019, 06:06:34 AM

Author Topic: Premier League VS La Liga  (Read 6280 times)

March 26, 2010, 03:08:45 AM
Reply #15

Ridge

Well you know what they say...
I wouldn't trust you with a barge pole.

March 26, 2010, 03:08:55 AM
Reply #16

Ridge

Well you know what they say...
You can't jump a chasm in two leaps?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 03:14:20 AM by Ridge »

March 26, 2010, 03:12:02 AM
Reply #17

cad

On a more serious note, I'd rather watch La liga  for the technical skills, but for raw passion, the Prem gets my vote every time.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
veni veni veni

Don't worry yourself into an early grave...it will happen soon enough.

March 26, 2010, 03:15:57 AM
Reply #18

Endless, Nameless

On a more serious note, I'd rather watch La liga  for the technical skills, but for raw passion, the Prem gets my vote every time.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Nah mate. This is my stance. That said, I usually get my technical fix by watching the European competitions. Don't watch that much La Liga anymore. Don't watch any of Serie A. Fucking boring league that is.
Oh well, at least Baines is still ace.

March 26, 2010, 03:16:13 AM
Reply #19

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
So 2 English teams in Europa league and 2 Spanish teams, so how is La Liga stronger based on Europa. English teams have been better in the Champs league so therefore EPL better than La Liga.
No you say. Of course you would. I think EPL is better and more exciting, also less predictable especially this season. I think the difference is they type of football.
Almost every Spanish team tries to pass the ball, not so English teams. Thats just style but for me, an avergae premier league game is more entertaining than a La liga game.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Cenk Tosun, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

March 26, 2010, 03:17:23 AM
Reply #20

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
I wouldn't trust you with a barge pole.

Thats a Blarge pole
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Cenk Tosun, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

March 26, 2010, 03:38:37 AM
Reply #21

Ridge

With regards to the league I'd go for EPL, I think its direct nature makes it easier to score. Often Lampard is one of the better examples of goal by proxy, this is what I think a lot of people take a slight exception to. In La Liga you have to have better close control as well as pace when running at players, but I think our a lot of our defensive players would excel in La Liga, especially defensive midfielders. They seem slightly contradicting, but I think EPL players are more likely to commit for the ball and give an opponent space to run in to, La Liga players would stand off and track.

Should have quit when I was ahead.

March 26, 2010, 03:40:58 AM
Reply #22

bloody scally

Define a metric first.

Personal general opinion. Discuss your own factors.

March 26, 2010, 04:20:45 AM
Reply #23

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
Nah mate. This is my stance. That said, I usually get my technical fix by watching the European competitions. Don't watch that much La Liga anymore. Don't watch any of Serie A. Fucking boring league that is.

I know we've been hammering the cliches, but that's a bad one!

Serie A is not boring, that is yet another myth based on an old stereotype of the league.  There are plenty of goals and open games in Serie A, if people would actually take the time to watch a bit then they'd see that themselves.  That said, if people are happy to base their viewing decisions on outdated stereotypes then I suppose that's their own business.

March 26, 2010, 04:32:39 AM
Reply #24

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
So 2 English teams in Europa league and 2 Spanish teams, so how is La Liga stronger based on Europa. English teams have been better in the Champs league so therefore EPL better than La Liga.
No you say. Of course you would. I think EPL is better and more exciting, also less predictable especially this season. I think the difference is they type of football.
Almost every Spanish team tries to pass the ball, not so English teams. Thats just style but for me, an avergae premier league game is more entertaining than a La liga game.

Well regarding the Europa League / UEFA Cup I was certainly talking about more than just right now this season, and I presume whoever else mentioned it was too.  If we went by that kind of logic then the English and French leagues are the best because they both have 2 teams left in the CL at the moment.

It was more a comment regarding the relative poor performances of English teams in general over the past few years really - we're generally seen as best of the rest in England yet the best we've managed is the last 16.  Villa who are fairly similar to us in terms of position in the PL have struggled even more than we have in Europe.  For all Sky's bluster about English domination of the CL, you'd assume that the relative strength in depth of the league would see English clubs similarly dominate the UEFA cup, but that certainly hasn't been the case.

I suppose "which league do you prefer?" and "which league is best?" are two entirely different questions.  I find it hard to answer the question of which do I prefer to watch because I have a bias towards Spain as a reaction to the bollocks that we are force fed about how great English football is by our media.  So I'd probably in general rather watch a random Spanish game than an English one, but that wouldn't necessarily be anything to do with preferring the football - more about preferring to see those teams and players.

I think the Spanish league is better in terms of the technical abilities of the players, however there are undoubtedly many very good players in the English game too.  I'd like to see some of the top English players play in Spain and Italy to see how they'd cope with the different style of football, and it would also benefit England at international level too I think.

March 26, 2010, 04:35:33 AM
Reply #25

Endless, Nameless

I know we've been hammering the cliches, but that's a bad one!

Serie A is not boring, that is yet another myth based on an old stereotype of the league.  There are plenty of goals and open games in Serie A, if people would actually take the time to watch a bit then they'd see that themselves.  That said, if people are happy to base their viewing decisions on outdated stereotypes then I suppose that's their own business.

Not a cliche mate, I used to enjoy the league. Quite recently though Inter and AC, Juve and Roma (and so on) just aren't what they used to be. Their teams are comprised of has-beens and they are all inconsistent. Almost all of the top players are in La Liga and the EPL.

March 26, 2010, 04:42:03 AM
Reply #26

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
Not a cliche mate, I used to enjoy the league. Quite recently though Inter and AC, Juve and Roma (and so on) just aren't what they used to be. Their teams are comprised of has-beens and they are all inconsistent. Almost all of the top players are in La Liga and the EPL.

Right, I wouldn't question that the standard of Serie A has dropped at all (except for maybe it's not as poor as some would make out). 

The point is though, it's not a boring league.  People have a misconception that it's all 0-0 draws and 1-0 wins with defensive tactics being the overriding aspect of the league, but it's actually not the case.  I'd recommend anyone with an interest in football to catch a Serie A game every now and then - it might not be quite at it's early 90s Football Italia heyday, but it's an entertaining watch and there's still plenty of good players to see.

March 26, 2010, 04:44:51 AM
Reply #27

Endless, Nameless

Right, I wouldn't question that the standard of Serie A has dropped at all (except for maybe it's not as poor as some would make out). 

The point is though, it's not a boring league.  People have a misconception that it's all 0-0 draws and 1-0 wins with defensive tactics being the overriding aspect of the league, but it's actually not the case.  I'd recommend anyone with an interest in football to catch a Serie A game every now and then - it might not be quite at it's early 90s Football Italia heyday, but it's an entertaining watch and there's still plenty of good players to see.

Oh no I wasn't referring to the sterotype of Italian defending. I don't usually watch it for the same reason I don't watch the French league, or the Scottish one. Not enough good players/teams.

Although that said, the French league must be close to the 3rd best right now.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 04:47:01 AM by Endless, Nameless »

March 26, 2010, 04:46:22 AM
Reply #28

Gash

Global Moderator
I don't know where some of you find the time to watch all these leagues in action?

March 26, 2010, 04:50:45 AM
Reply #29

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
I don't know where some of you find the time to watch all these leagues in action?

The joys of ESPN and having a foreign girlfriend who's not arsed about watching anything on tv!