October 24, 2019, 04:56:35 AM

Author Topic: Ivory Coast  (Read 1480 times)

March 29, 2010, 06:29:24 PM
Read 1480 times

fast lane

Guus was a no go.

So they turn to Sven.

Can he get them past the mighty North Korea?
Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)

March 29, 2010, 07:13:54 PM
Reply #1

Optimistic Blue

hahahahaha, North Korea might get a win this world cup then
you cant take the right out of Kenwright

March 29, 2010, 10:07:22 PM
Reply #2

cantoffee

I have no confidence in any African team doing well at this world cup. They've been overhyped and made people think that this is their year but they are still way too far behind the top European and South American countries. There also seems to be a lack of team mentality, and although many of the teams of the physical abilities, and technical abilities they really same to lack a grasp on the mental side of the game. That includes tactics, teamwork,  a real footballing brain, they just don't have players like Fabregas, Xavi, Iniesta (I know they're all spanish but they're the best examples) who can unlock teams with their creativity and movement. I can see Ghana having a decent world cup and I actually think South Africa could get out of their group but that's about it, the teams are just groups of individuals lumped together, or at least it seems that way.

March 29, 2010, 10:46:34 PM
Reply #3

fast lane

I can't agree with that.
Four years ago we were in the group of death with Argentina an Ivory Coast.
We managed to beat the Africans 2-1, but we were extremely lucky, they were playing us off the part and overran our midfield.
There is potential there, and don't underestimate the home advantage for South Africa.
Everybody thought they have a very weak team, but they did manage to reach the semi's of the Confederations Cup.

March 30, 2010, 01:22:56 AM
Reply #4

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
I think the likes of Ivory Coast, Cameroon and Nigeria may have actually done themselves a favour with their underwhelming AFCON campaigns.  The hype was building and the pressure is probably off them to an extent now which will help.

It would only take one good result in the group stage for one of the African teams to get some confidence and have a decent run.  Ghana in particular look strong and well-organised and might perhaps be the best equipped team to go furthest.  That said, I'd be surprised to see an African team get as far as the quarter finals this year, although to be fair that's without looking at the draw and who they'd have to face to get there.

March 30, 2010, 06:43:16 AM
Reply #5

cantoffee

I think the likes of Ivory Coast, Cameroon and Nigeria may have actually done themselves a favour with their underwhelming AFCON campaigns.  The hype was building and the pressure is probably off them to an extent now which will help.

It would only take one good result in the group stage for one of the African teams to get some confidence and have a decent run.  Ghana in particular look strong and well-organised and might perhaps be the best equipped team to go furthest.  That said, I'd be surprised to see an African team get as far as the quarter finals this year, although to be fair that's without looking at the draw and who they'd have to face to get there.

I tend to agree with you here, because they were very hyped this year and I really only see Ghana doing well. I do think that SA will get out of their group because they're better than people give them credit for and have home field advantage.

All that being said they have the abilities to beat most teams or at least cause some problems so I wouldn't want to underestimate any of the African teams.

March 30, 2010, 07:10:39 PM
Reply #6

Danny

Drogba could beat North Korea by himself. South Korea however could be a decent side at the world cup.

March 30, 2010, 07:50:02 PM
Reply #7

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I think that they'll do ok to be fair.

I'm not sure that Portugal are that strong any more so there's a window for them there.

March 31, 2010, 02:55:25 AM
Reply #8

toffee_scot

Guus was a no go.

So they turn to Sven.

Can he get them past the mighty North Korea?

It will be difficult, North Korea will no doubt have the glorious Dear Leader to guide them and take credit for any North Korean victory.

March 31, 2010, 05:04:31 AM
Reply #9

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
I tend to agree with you here, because they were very hyped this year and I really only see Ghana doing well. I do think that SA will get out of their group because they're better than people give them credit for and have home field advantage.

All that being said they have the abilities to beat most teams or at least cause some problems so I wouldn't want to underestimate any of the African teams.

Ghana will do well if Essien plays. South Africa might sneak out of their group because it is not a great group and home field advantage is important. They are sadly as bad as people say they are, drew with Namibia recently.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Cenk Tosun, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

March 31, 2010, 02:04:25 PM
Reply #10

fast lane

I think that they'll do ok to be fair.

I'm not sure that Portugal are that strong any more so there's a window for them there.

That's what I was thinking.

April 01, 2010, 01:09:08 AM
Reply #11

.Rimbo.

I can see the 'Coast getting to the quarters.