September 22, 2019, 03:27:06 PM

Author Topic: Good submission on 606...for once  (Read 1208 times)

March 30, 2010, 12:01:37 PM
Read 1208 times

HungryHungryHibbo

written by a red re: an article about the different football financial systems of Germany and England

Something we have lost sight of altogether is that not only were many of the great European clubs founded by British ex-pats, but that they began as general sports' clubs, in which soccer was but one of the options.

Like another writer to this forum, I have worked in Germany, where a club membership gave me access to a gym, to swimming baths and to health-care, like osteopathy.I also had a choice of other participant sports, like handball.

In France, villages of only 1000 inhabitants have sport-halls and all-weather, multi-purpose, outdoors areas, floodlit for winter and night-time uses.

Britain will not get anywhere near to continental standards until she re-acquires the habit of purposeful public spending by central government.

A fitter nation is a healthier one and the expenditure on sports is more than recovered by the diminished outgoings on treatments for 'lifestyle'-related diseases.

It is not unreasonable to consider watching professional football to be an addiction paralleling other forms of unhealthy consumption. Those, at least, carry HMG Health Warnings.

But, seriously, soccer fans' loyalties have been hideously abused throughout the 90s and 00s, largely in support of a grossly distorted product.

Why are England's PL teams filled with Spanish, Dutch and French players ?

Why does the national side perennially flounder in competition ?

It is nothing to do with imported players, who arrive as the finished article.

It is everything to do with asking why, for example, do Dutch youngsters demonstrate skills their UK counterparts simply do not consider to be essential, standard equipment for a professional footballer ?

Survival-first tactics blight most divisions of the pyramid, because the wealth within soccer is distributed so inequitably. This makes professionals of players who would, in earlier times, have taken their basically athletic talents into track and field, or team sports based predominantly on strength, speed and stamina.

The home-grown, natural talents are still out there, but are out-muscled in their key developmental years by kids equipped with low footballing skills, high athletic capacity and ruthless, money-mad parents.

The hard truth about the over-priced Premier League is that matches played between teams outside the more or less permanent Top Ten have come to resemble the hacking game of the 1880s, with outbreaks of paint-drying and dental-surgery thrown-in for bad measure - and only the radio pundits ever admit to the fact that flat, warm beer is being served up at champagne prices.

Just wanted to know what people think; some interesting points there
coyb

March 30, 2010, 01:11:36 PM
Reply #1

Derek

Last point is spot on. You won't hear the pundits on Sky ever saying a Wigan/Bolton game is SHIT and not worth watching.
Clarion Call.

On Twitter: @derekveskotsku

March 30, 2010, 02:03:46 PM
Reply #2

fast lane

Why are England's PL teams filled with Spanish, Dutch and French players ?

It is everything to do with asking why, for example, do Dutch youngsters demonstrate skills their UK counterparts simply do not consider to be essential, standard equipment for a professional footballer ?

The first question is simple; money.
It's no wonder players like George Boateng and Mario Melchiot have played so long in the EPL, they could never earn that kind of money over here.

As for the second statement, the Wiel Coerver training methods have something to do wit it.
Something which I have posted on in the past.
Nobody was interested, which gives to think...
Man Uted now have a coach, Rene Meulenstein (I think his name is) who's job it is to bring these methods across, and they are purely on a technical level.
Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)

March 30, 2010, 04:00:27 PM
Reply #3

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
Last point is spot on. You won't hear the pundits on Sky ever saying a Wigan/Bolton game is SHIT and not worth watching.

You haven't been watching GSS lately then.

But it's a matter of different traditions. You never see kids playing handball or volleyball at school unless they're forced to and you very rarely see white kids playing basketball either. It's no good bringing these methods across for one or two clubs either, the difference is in the general attitude and culture of the people, no football club coach is going to change that.
I didn't even remember I had a signature.

March 30, 2010, 07:53:49 PM
Reply #4

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
You haven't been watching GSS lately then.

But it's a matter of different traditions. You never see kids playing handball or volleyball at school unless they're forced to and you very rarely see white kids playing basketball either. It's no good bringing these methods across for one or two clubs either, the difference is in the general attitude and culture of the people, no football club coach is going to change that.

True.

There's a popular misconception that everyone in England loves sport.

They don't. They like football, or rugby and maybe cricket.

Everyone else is classed in a minority category if they like something else.

There is a much wider spectrum of popular sports in continental Europe, that's why their clubs can functon in that way.

March 30, 2010, 08:06:20 PM
Reply #5

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
In fact, many of the continental football clubs started out as generic sport/athletic clubs and only added football to their portfolio several years later.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with cricket or rugby, you just shouldn't expect the same type of skills or abilities and I don't think you should really force the continental way either.
I didn't even remember I had a signature.

March 31, 2010, 06:55:28 PM
Reply #6

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
In fact, many of the continental football clubs started out as generic sport/athletic clubs and only added football to their portfolio several years later.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with cricket or rugby, you just shouldn't expect the same type of skills or abilities and I don't think you should really force the continental way either.

No it shouldn't be forced, as if it's not natural it won't work.

I do like our link up with the Toxteth Tigers though. The more Everton is seen as a name the better it is for us.