September 20, 2019, 03:50:03 AM

Author Topic: When I was a lad  (Read 894 times)

April 02, 2010, 06:02:00 PM
Read 894 times

Everton1878

Talking about supporting other teams in another topic...

When I was a lad over 35+ years ago, First and formost I was a Blue (and still am, and have the tats to prove it), just like my dad and all my family, but I did watch and cheer other teams. I suppose at the age of 10+ back in the 60's - 70's there were a lot of great names and players. There were also a lot who didn't get the headlines as much as others but were hard as nails such as Bremner, Hunter, Charlton, Madeley, Clarke & Lorimer to name a few.

Yes, I liked Leeds style of play, they were real tough and played every game as if their life depended on it. There's been many a debate whether the players from the 60s & 70s would get into a prem team now, but I look at it the other way, I doubt todays prem players would last 5 minutes with a 60s - 70s team.

So I was wondering if any "Old boys" or  Old Girls" used to follow any other teams as a youngster

April 03, 2010, 06:01:29 PM
Reply #1

Derek

Well, I'm not quite as old as you ;), but being Scottish I was pretty much forced into being a Rangers fan (my family are Protestant and it's still not all that common to cross that divide, so to speak).

Most of my mates were Rangers fans - I had some shirts and that, but I never liked them. Once I got to my early teens I was old enough to tell everyone I don't feckin' like Rangers and I've been an Everton supporter since I was wee!

They were pleased enough because at least the Everton shirts they got me were blue too!
Clarion Call.

On Twitter: @derekveskotsku

April 03, 2010, 08:47:27 PM
Reply #2

evertonjoe

Having been to college in Huddersfield the last few years i've developed quite an affinity for Huddersfield Town and there are quite a few lower league teams whose results I look out for.

That said I can't abide Leeds they are scum.

R.A.P Music

April 03, 2010, 11:05:20 PM
Reply #3

Polledreng

NSNO Subscriber
No I didn't but my father supported Leeds  with Bremner as his big favourite

April 04, 2010, 12:55:33 AM
Reply #4

Craig_1878

I hope to god that picture in your sig is your arm   :eh:  :batty:

"Sunday Bloody Sunday. What a great song. It really encapsulates the frustration of a Sunday, doesn't it? You wake up in the morning, you've got to read all the Sunday papers, the kids are running round, you've got to mow the lawn, wash the car, and you think "Sunday, bloody Sunday!"- Alan Partridge