October 23, 2019, 07:45:18 AM

Author Topic: John Terry  (Read 12357 times)

April 13, 2010, 03:16:56 AM
Reply #30

ilikebrunettes

But then in your eyes every tackle is.

every tackle that has a very good chance of snapping someones leg? reckless lunges that have no purpose?

yes i do
Murray won't ever win a slam. Mentally not good enough

April 13, 2010, 03:43:54 AM
Reply #31

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
every tackle that has a very good chance of snapping someones leg? reckless lunges that have no purpose?

yes i do

Every tackle has a chance of snapping someone's leg, you better get used to it. You can even pick up serious injuries with nobody around.

As long as a move isn't meant to injure the opponent (as this one clearly wasn't), it's part of the game. I'm gutted when I see an amateur or semi-pro breaks a leg, but allow me not to give a shit about a highly paid pro's almost broken leg.

And in this case Terry was more in danger of seriously injuring himself, than breaking Milner's leg.
I didn't even remember I had a signature.

April 13, 2010, 03:46:15 AM
Reply #32

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
Every tackle has a chance of snapping someone's leg, you better get used to it. You can even pick up serious injuries with nobody around.

As long as a move isn't meant to injure the opponent (as this one clearly wasn't), it's part of the game. I'm gutted when I see an amateur or semi-pro breaks a leg, but allow me not to give a shit about a highly paid pro's almost broken leg.

And in this case Terry was more in danger of seriously injuring himself, than breaking Milner's leg.

Whether it was intentional or not, I don't know. Nobody can really. But a studs up challenge above ankle height is a red card everytime. Or it should be because it is a dangerous tackle
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Cenk Tosun, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

April 13, 2010, 03:58:08 AM
Reply #33

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber

Whether it was intentional or not, I don't know. Nobody can really. But a studs up challenge above ankle height is a red card everytime. Or it should be because it is a dangerous tackle

If he wanted to break Milner's leg, he'd have kept his leg outstretched. As it was, he could've ruptured his own knee ligaments by letting his knee bend. (But you're a doctor as far as I can remember, I shouldn't be explaining this to you really. :))

Yes, I know the mantra, foot up the ground, studs showing is a dangerous tackle. But is it really? Well, actually it depends on the circumstances. Tackles from behind are always very dangerous, as they can't be anticipated. (Yet they go unpunished most of the time.) Tackles from the front aren't nearly as dangerous.

Throwing yourself from several yards seems like making matters worse too, but it actually makes it easier to avoid it or ride it.

The most dangerous tackles are the ones where you don't give your opponent a chance of getting his feet off the ground. (Something our very own Stevie P is often guilty of.)

April 13, 2010, 04:40:49 AM
Reply #34

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
If he wanted to break Milner's leg, he'd have kept his leg outstretched. As it was, he could've ruptured his own knee ligaments by letting his knee bend. (But you're a doctor as far as I can remember, I shouldn't be explaining this to you really. :))

Yes, I know the mantra, foot up the ground, studs showing is a dangerous tackle. But is it really? Well, actually it depends on the circumstances. Tackles from behind are always very dangerous, as they can't be anticipated. (Yet they go unpunished most of the time.) Tackles from the front aren't nearly as dangerous.

Throwing yourself from several yards seems like making matters worse too, but it actually makes it easier to avoid it or ride it.

The most dangerous tackles are the ones where you don't give your opponent a chance of getting his feet off the ground. (Something our very own Stevie P is often guilty of.)

At the force that Terry goes into Milner, Knee bent or not his leg could break. You can see his leg bend and Milner is extremely lucky to not be worse off.

As far as I remember, tackles from behind are bookable offences. Studs up high tackles are red card offences as far as the letter of the law is applied. Many players do get away with far too many I agree and yes, Mr Pienaar is guilty of that sort of challenge. Should he be punished, yes. Is he malicious? No.

The only way, tackles like that stop is if referees start penalising them properly.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Cenk Tosun, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

April 13, 2010, 05:07:44 AM
Reply #35

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
Leg breaks are extremely rare unless the foot is planted. Fractured tibia caused by the force of impact is almost unheard of, fibulas are known to be fractured in extremely unlucky cases.

A much frequent injury is knee ligament damage when the same tackle is made against the side of your knee. (And this was bordering that, so I can see why you'd call it dangerous, but in general it isn't the raised foot that is the problem. If the ball bounces high, there's no other way to get there after all.)

The letter of the law isn't often applied though, which is quite frustrating but has very little to do with danger, more with referees not understanding the game. Blocking a kicking foot during the follow through is one of the most dangerous tackles and is supposed to be a booking, which is laughable in itself but more often than not players escape without even a booking.

April 13, 2010, 05:11:37 AM
Reply #36

Gash

Global Moderator
ILB being quite clever with the video there, I wouldn't mind seeing it at normal speed. Slow motion always makes it look worse.

For the record, I think Terry's a twat, but I don't believe for a minute he would go in to injury Milner on purpose. It's a poor challenge, and if it got a red, I doubt many people would complain.

But jail sentence? Calm down.

April 13, 2010, 05:59:57 AM
Reply #37

.Rimbo.

At the force that Terry goes into Milner, Knee bent or not his leg could break. You can see his leg bend and Milner is extremely lucky to not be worse off.

As far as I remember, tackles from behind are bookable offences. Studs up high tackles are red card offences as far as the letter of the law is applied. Many players do get away with far too many I agree and yes, Mr Pienaar is guilty of that sort of challenge. Should he be punished, yes. Is he malicious? No.

The only way, tackles like that stop is if referees start penalising them properly.

Before the France World Cup in 1998, tackles from behind became red card offences. I don't know if that's still the case.

April 13, 2010, 06:03:44 AM
Reply #38

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
ILB being quite clever with the video there, I wouldn't mind seeing it at normal speed. Slow motion always makes it look worse.

For the record, I think Terry's a twat, but I don't believe for a minute he would go in to injury Milner on purpose. It's a poor challenge, and if it got a red, I doubt many people would complain.

What pisses me off is the sheer hyopcrisy of some people. Wenger is a prime example, but many journalists and sadly even fans subscribe to this agenda, which is basically: if you do something and I get injured, you should be penalised, regardless of the fact that I did nothing to avoid or mitigate the danger. From a very early age, players are taught not to pull out of a tackle, draw in fouls, to dive headfirst at the feet of strikers (if you're a goalkeeper),  so basically to blatantly disregard danger.

And people accept this, at least I haven't head anyone preaching against it the way they do against tackling just after an accident had happened. Not only do they accept it, they expect it, coaches still coach players this way, yes, Wenger included, nobody asks if it really is sensible to train kids not to listen to their instincts. (Or just stop them from developing it in the first place.)

And then when we see an unfortunate accident that is the direct result of this approach: two players playing chicken but neither of them yielding, people are up in arms that something should be done about these terrible tackles. (They very rarely do this when only one side is clearly at fault and malicious, like Nolan's tackle on Anichebe, which slipped under the radar of everyone but Evertonians.)

The icing of the cake is that more often than not the people who shout for regulation are the very same people who moan in the pub about the nanny state and political correctness gone mad.

April 13, 2010, 06:13:54 AM
Reply #39

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Maybe my judgement is clouded because it was John Terry, it was a pretty fair challenge.

April 13, 2010, 01:11:38 PM
Reply #40

Derek

Can't see it properly to be honest. Could've been off, I wouldn't have cared.
Clarion Call.

On Twitter: @derekveskotsku

April 13, 2010, 01:16:47 PM
Reply #41

ilikebrunettes

of course it does..... i mean slowing it down changes the tackle!!

one of the worst cliches in football "always looks worse in slow motion"

Does it fuck. It just allows you to see how bad it is, instead of full pace where you cant appreciate it

April 13, 2010, 01:34:04 PM
Reply #42

huck

of course it does..... i mean slowing it down changes the tackle!!

one of the worst cliches in football "always looks worse in slow motion"

Does it fuck. It just allows you to see how bad it is, instead of full pace where you cant appreciate it

The game isn't played in slow motion. You have to judge the tackle at full pace to realise if there was intent or not. Unless of course you think players have super fast reactions and thought processors?

I watched the game it was a reckless tackle. He did go for the ball.
Le Berry

April 13, 2010, 04:04:07 PM
Reply #43

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
Maybe my judgement is clouded because it was John Terry, it was a pretty fair challenge.

I wouldn't say it was a fair challenge, it was quite a poor tackle, he committed himself way too early, but nowhere near as outrageous as some make it out to be. Terry's still a twat though but I don't need to analyse his tackling to know that. :)

April 13, 2010, 04:14:24 PM
Reply #44

ilikebrunettes

The game isn't played in slow motion. You have to judge the tackle at full pace to realise if there was intent or not. Unless of course you think players have super fast reactions and thought processors?

I watched the game it was a reckless tackle. He did go for the ball.

I did think there was intent.... at normal speed