October 14, 2019, 11:23:31 PM

Author Topic: John Terry  (Read 12335 times)

April 13, 2010, 04:51:08 PM
Reply #45

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
But then, you always do. :)
I didn't even remember I had a signature.

April 13, 2010, 07:29:20 PM
Reply #46

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Intent is very hard to prove.

However it was a dangerous tackle. Just because the ball is in the air doesn't remove all concepts of responsibility to the other player.

Therefore it should have been a red card.

April 13, 2010, 08:39:02 PM
Reply #47

fast lane

Just seen it on here for the first time.
Another horrible tackle.
A straight red is the only outcome for me.
Milner was indeed very lucky.
Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)

April 14, 2010, 12:57:08 AM
Reply #48

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
Thing is Biziclop, is not that the ball bounced or his foot was high. It was the fact that his studs were raised AND foot high.
I agree, people shouldn't be punished because somebody got injured but also bad tackles when nobody is injured should be punished as severely as when somebody gets injured.
Look at when Chelsea played us. Donovan's tackle on Cole was fair, Cole broke his leg but no foul and no problem. Injuries do happen but bad tackles should be stopped.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Cenk Tosun, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

April 14, 2010, 01:08:36 AM
Reply #49

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
He went for the man, the ball happened to be in the way.  Cynical and vicious that.

April 14, 2010, 02:35:22 AM
Reply #50

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
Thing is Biziclop, is not that the ball bounced or his foot was high. It was the fact that his studs were raised AND foot high.

But if you ever played football you should know that there's just no other way to hit a ball. When your foot is on the ground, you have an option, when you have to raise it, you must go in studs first, unless you're a trained ballet dancer.

Average park players like me would obviously rather pull out of the tackle but you can't afford it if you're a professional.

I wholeheartedly recommend everyone to watch the highlights of the 1966 match between Hungary and Brazil. not only because they were two of the finest footballing sides of that era, not only because it takes place in a wonderful stadium, and not even for the coppers pacing on the touchline or the sentence "The movement off the ball is magnificient in this match.".

Look at the tackles, they're no better than today, however the tackled player always concentrates on just two things: first, to protect yourself, and second, to get on with it as quickly as possible. But football and defending in particular has lost most of its naivety still present in 1966, and nobody complained about the players getting bigger, stronger, more focused and pushing themselves to the limit more and more with every decade.

And now suddenly people start moaning that it's dangerous and we can't have this and we can't have that. But all we can see is the logical result of the progression football has made: players are more dedicated and believe they're invincible, the stakes are ever higher. We only get what we should expect. If you want to change it, you should change it from the very beginning, not by just adding more and more complicated and unrealistic clauses to the laws of the game.

April 14, 2010, 02:44:36 AM
Reply #51

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber

April 14, 2010, 02:53:35 AM
Reply #52

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
Fair enough and I agree that players today are not as tough as 10-15 years ago but the money involved today is far bigger. Back then, the average players used to run 6km in a match. Now they averaging about 11km a match. Players are faster and stronger. A bad tackle could end your career robbing you of millions of pounds.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Cenk Tosun, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

April 14, 2010, 02:53:37 AM
Reply #53

cantoffee

Isn't this the world cup where they kicked Pele off the pitch and he refused to play in another world cup because of it? Yeah great tackles, injuring the skilled players on purpose. Was it the Hungary or Bulgaria team that injured him?

April 14, 2010, 03:15:52 AM
Reply #54

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
Isn't this the world cup where they kicked Pele off the pitch and he refused to play in another world cup because of it? Yeah great tackles, injuring the skilled players on purpose. Was it the Hungary or Bulgaria team that injured him?

Did you see him in these clips? It can't have been Hungary then, can it. But you're also completely missing the point. If someone wants to deliberately kick someone, he will. That's an entirely different matter.

But we all love the speed at which today's game is played, don't we? But the speed and the extra muscles also mean that the margin for error has become much smaller and defenders are taught to get tight on attackers, attackers are taught to be reckless and keep concentrating on the ball when they are tackled.

It's sheer hypocrisy to whinge about it or trying to clamp down on it while we're all too happy to enjoy the benefits of a faster game.

April 14, 2010, 03:29:49 AM
Reply #55

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
Fair enough and I agree that players today are not as tough as 10-15 years ago but the money involved today is far bigger. Back then, the average players used to run 6km in a match. Now they averaging about 11km a match. Players are faster and stronger. A bad tackle could end your career robbing you of millions of pounds.

That's exactly my point. Players are faster and stronger and we like it that way. It also means, mistimed tackles will cause more damage. You can't have one without the other. (I don't understand the money argument though: if a tackle ends your career at 28 now, you'll still have more than enough money for the rest of your life. If it happened to you back then, you were in big financial trouble.)

April 14, 2010, 03:46:26 AM
Reply #56

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
What if Eduardo never played again, did he have enough money?

Margin for error is smaller in a faster game, agreed. But these guys train twice a day and play alot more football than back then. they video analyse everything so yes, they should be punished for dangerous tackles properly. Now I am not saying Terry should go to jail or something stupid like that. I just think that tackles like those are red card offences. If people are sent off for them than they will happen less and less.

April 14, 2010, 03:55:26 AM
Reply #57

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
It is not fair to judge somebody if they have made more than the average person by 25. What about 8-9 years of lost earnings?

April 14, 2010, 03:55:50 AM
Reply #58

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
What if Eduardo never played again, did he have enough money?

Margin for error is smaller in a faster game, agreed. But these guys train twice a day and play alot more football than back then. they video analyse everything so yes, they should be punished for dangerous tackles properly. Now I am not saying Terry should go to jail or something stupid like that. I just think that tackles like those are red card offences. If people are sent off for them than they will happen less and less.

Of course he would've had. Don't forget the insurance.

Of course you can punish mistimed or misjudged tackles but it won't make them happen less and less, that's what I'm saying. If you allowed, nay, obliged people to drive at 80mph in residential areas, would punishing them more for hitting a pedestrian reduce the number of accidents?

Harsher punishments might stop tackling altogether though. I'm sure ILB would be over the moon with that, but most of us would't.

I don't like the current situation any more than you, the only difference is that I don't think punishments would work. Only slowing the game down would, but then how could you slow the game down?

April 14, 2010, 04:01:03 AM
Reply #59

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
I don't think slowing it down is the answer. I guess consistency from the referees has more to do with it. Examples need to be made of the Gerrards and Terry's of this world. They should not be immune and the officials should start punishing them for bad errors, of which the tackle on Milner was one of them.