November 22, 2017, 03:28:25 AM

Author Topic: Everton v Sunderland 2-1  (Read 30390 times)

November 04, 2012, 10:58:09 AM
Read 30390 times

Shogun

Administrator

Everton v Sunderland
Goodison Park (Capacity: 40,157)
Saturday 10th November
15:00 UK time

Everton's last five games:

Everton 3-1 Southampton (Osman, Jelavic x2)
Wigan 2-2 Everton (Jelavic, Baines Pen)
QPR 1-1 Everton (Cesar OG)
Everton 2-2 Liverpool (Osman, Naismith)
Fulham 2-2 Everton (Fellaini x2)
Position: 4th - 17 points

Sunderland's last five games:

Manchester City 3-0 Sunderland
Sunderland 1-1 Newcastle (Ba OG)
Stoke 0-0 Sunderland
Sunderland 0-1 Middlesbrough - Capital One Cup
Sunderland 0-1 Aston Villa
Position: 16th - 9 points

Preview

The visit of Sunderland to Goodison Park on Saturday marks the 174th meeting between the two sides and the history book doesn't make good reading for the away side.

The last time Sunderland beat Everton was the 22nd December 2001 with Claudio Reyna netting the only goal that day. The last time Sunderland beat Everton at Goodison Park came on the 30th November 1996 when they ran out 3-1 winners as Duncan Ferguson cancelled out Craig Russell's second half opener before Michael Bridges scored a late brace for the away side.

This will be the 15th meeting between David Moyes and Martin O'Neill. Moyes has a poor record against the current Sunderland manager with just one win in the 11 league meetings between the two coming in the last fixture at Goodison Park which ended 4-0, the other matches resulted in 6 draws and 4 defeats. However, he has got the better over O'Neill in the Fa Cup with a 3-1 victory over Aston Villa in 2009 and victory in the quarter final replay last year at the Stadium of Light after a 1-1 draw in the original game.

Sunderland

Sunderland fans went into the season full of optimism as Martin O'Neill steered them in the right direction taking over from Steve Bruce in December 2011 taking them from relegation candidates to pushing for top ten, though they narrowly missed out by 2 points at the end of the season.

Over the summer the signings of Steven Fletcher for a fee of £14m and highly rated Adam Johnson for £10m only increased optimism going into the new campaign. Fletcher scored 5 goals in his first four games for Sunderland earning him player of the month for September, however no Sunderland player scored a single goal in October as Adam Johnson has struggled to impose himself in the North-East.

This season, Sunderland have managed just 13 shots on target in the league which is less than half of the next team up. Along with this they have scored just 9 goals in their last 16 matches leading to just one victory (1-0 Wigan H) in their last 16 games. On the defensive side of their game they have conceded 9 goals in 9 games, only Arsenal have conceded less goals in the league.

Their last outing ended in an 1-0 defeat at home to another struggling  outfit in Aston Villa. Sunderland managed just one shot on target as Agbonlahor scored the only goal in a rather dull affair.

Everton

"Judge us after ten games" is what David Moyes said when asked whether Everton had made a good start to the season. Ten games gone and Everton have won four, drawn five and lost one after ten games and are currently sitting 4th in the table. A series of successive draws against Wigan, QPR, Liverpool and Fulham has slightly dampened spirits on the blue half of Merseyside but having gone behind in all of those games, Everton have shown character to gather 4 points with 3 of the games away from home. However if optimism is to continue, getting back to winning ways against Sunderland is vital.

Everton suffered a disappointing blow on Saturday as Sidwell grabbed a 90th minute equaliser in a match dominated by the away side. Stats show that Everton had 61% of possession compared to Fulham's 39%. Everton created 15 shots on target from 26 shots compared to Fulham who gathered 5 shots on target from a total of 8 shots. There were a lot of positives to take from the game as there won't be many teams who dominate as much at Craven Cottage this season which reflects the quality of the team. Still, a disappointing draw felt like a defeat after such a display and a sensational second half display from Marouane Fellaini who took his tally to 5 goals with two goals.

Everton have scored the fourth most goals this season with 19 in 10 games. However defensively Everton have been poor conceding 13 goals and conceding 2 goals a match 5 times already this season.

There have been 173 meetings between the two in the past. Below is a table of the match history:

Injury concerns
http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php

Everton

V Anichebe - Illness - no return date   
D Gibson - Thigh Muscle Strain - no return date

Sunderland

W Brown - Knee Injury - no return date   
T Bramble - Hip/Thigh Injury - no return date

« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 09:00:50 PM by Shogun »
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

November 04, 2012, 12:31:08 PM
Reply #1

Mahoney

Must win? (Too much of Cliche?)

Honestly though, got to score more than they do. Simples.
It's getting pretty serious.

November 04, 2012, 01:56:26 PM
Reply #2

Gary Iceman

Alan Harper: "I made my debut at Goodison against Stoke and was standing in the tunnel waiting to go onto the pitch. Z cars started playing on the PA and I heard the crowd roar. If I could bottle a moment and save it forever, then that would be it.

November 04, 2012, 02:15:17 PM
Reply #3

School of Science

After four draws reckon now this is a must win if we have any top 4 asperations and score first for a change.Fulham had 3 shots on target and scored 2 an all too familiar stat for us this year,no wonder Jol was happy,our luck has got to change soon.
Everton premier league champions 2014 / 15

November 04, 2012, 02:34:09 PM
Reply #4

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
I think we will win but it won't be a drubbing that no doubt many will predict

Sent via carrier pigeon

Simply simply lovely

November 04, 2012, 02:45:16 PM
Reply #5

sharpattack

If we fail to beat this lot well, then the season will have truly fizzled out
NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
The Board might forget, we don't

November 04, 2012, 05:06:55 PM
Reply #6

indiantoffee1975

2-0 Everton.

November 04, 2012, 05:14:12 PM
Reply #7

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
If we fail to beat this lot well, then the season will have truly fizzled out

Agreed,  Not sure its worth us continuing if we only draw this and slump to about 6th. theres no way we can claw back a 2 point defecit with the top 4 in the following 27 games
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

November 04, 2012, 05:42:25 PM
Reply #8

blob

Agreed,  Not sure its worth us continuing if we only draw this and slump to about 6th. theres no way we can claw back a 2 point defecit with the top 4 in the following 27 games

:snigger:

November 04, 2012, 06:49:40 PM
Reply #9

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Basically, keep Fletcher quiet all game and we'll at least come away with a 0-0 :)
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

November 04, 2012, 07:09:15 PM
Reply #10

Cozzie

We had more shots on target apparently in the game against Fulham than sunderland have had all season.

They have only had one goalscorer this season, fletcher, their second highest scorer is Demba Ba with the OG

We have a superb record against them at home, if we draw this I will fucking kill myself.

6-0 to us, lets put a team to the sword for once, just go out and absolutely fucking murder them.

November 04, 2012, 07:44:08 PM
Reply #11

Stumpy

It's a good time to be playing Sunderland,they look shot to pieces at the moment.Someone's due for a hammering of us,and it could be them.

November 04, 2012, 07:53:23 PM
Reply #12

cantoffee

We always batter Sunderland.

Put the kids out and let them run riot. It's about time George Green got some time in the prem.

November 04, 2012, 08:11:15 PM
Reply #13

sharpattack

You obviously have no understanding of the concept of a "trend". Any team that fails to win in 5 games against the likes of Wigan, Qpr, Fulham and Sunderland cannot be considered as a potential Champions league team.
NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
The Board might forget, we don't

November 04, 2012, 08:16:50 PM
Reply #14

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Howard

Hibbert  Jags  Heitinga   Baines

Mirallas   Osman  Neville  Pienaar

Fellaini

Jelavic

Obviously Gibson comes in for Neville if he's fit but don't think he will be and wouldn't be distraught if Coleman started but think we need more options from the bench and Coleman with Naismith gives us that.

Expect us to win but then I have done last four games so...