November 20, 2018, 12:19:29 AM

Author Topic: Barkley  (Read 4506 times)

December 22, 2012, 03:27:46 AM
Reply #30

marky v

Our league position & ambition has a big impact on this. If we were a mid table side and comfortable to be one, it would be much easier to play younger players & develop them. Alternatively if we were bustling with quality and depth & were in Europe there would be more games available and more opportunities for young players to get on the pitch.

Unfortunately we're not in Europe which means many less games, but also on the verge of qualifying each year which means each point is critical.

I think if we do manage to qualify next term it will mean many more games for these types of players, but until we either have a solid foothold in the top 6 we're unlikely to develop young players via PL games.

Agreed

December 22, 2012, 05:31:47 AM
Reply #31

nomorechang

RIP
Rodwell made his PL debut against Blackburn in centre mid, amidst an injury crisis, at the start of the 2008-09 season (I think) and remained there throughout the start of that season.

I think Jack would have benefitted from a spell on loan to one of the better Championship teams so he could gain the confidence from a sustained run in a team that was getting decent results. I honestly think he's a very capable player and we did great business getting that fee off City but I also think it will be a disaster of a move for him as far as his career is concerned. Financially it's great but in a couple of years time when he won't even be warming the bench at the Etihad it's going to take a great stroke of luck for him to get close to another England cap , where incidentally he's performed pretty well
Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same"
Alan Ball

" Notoriously shy and laconic off the field, Dean's quotes are sparse. He is reputed to have said to an over-enthusiastic marker 'I'm going for a pee. You coming?' "

December 22, 2012, 06:09:40 AM
Reply #32

pommy

Rodwell was shite for us...you can count on one hand how many good games he had for us. We robbed City blind getting 15 mil for him...got to be one of the best deals Moyes has pulled off for us, getting 10 mill more than he was worth and freeing him up to sign Mirralas who is confident, good on the ball, attacks , creates and will score a few. How Rodwell was held in such high regard is beyond me, he is a truly average player.

December 22, 2012, 06:18:20 AM
Reply #33

123_efc

Rodwell was shite for us...you can count on one hand how many good games he had for us. We robbed City blind getting 15 mil for him...got to be one of the best deals Moyes has pulled off for us, getting 10 mill more than he was worth and freeing him up to sign Mirralas who is confident, good on the ball, attacks , creates and will score a few. How Rodwell was held in such high regard is beyond me, he is a truly average player.

Harsh on Rodwell. Has all the tools to be a good player.
I miss Denis Stracqualursi

December 22, 2012, 06:31:03 AM
Reply #34

MmmblueBernard

Harsh on Rodwell. Has all the tools to be a good player.

And with a good injury free run in a first team he will demonstrate the qualities he has in abundance.

Sent from Überwald via the clacks
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

December 22, 2012, 07:40:21 AM
Reply #35

blueski

Rodwell is a talent. But sometimes its not always "when" they get an injury free run, its "if" they get an injury free run

some might not think it on here but Anichebe is talented too, but that run of fitness has never come
Nil Satis

December 22, 2012, 09:29:32 AM
Reply #36

pommy

If he was good enough he wouldnt of been sold..well not without a fight at least. i bet Moyes would bitten off mancinis hands and driven Rodwell down their himself. Sorry, Rodders was shite boys and injury prone......where is he now, thats right...on the treatment table

December 22, 2012, 10:23:02 AM
Reply #37

NomadskiEFC

NSNO Subscriber
Think Rodwell was more ineffectual than shite, he had a few good games, but went AWOL in most.
Once A Blue NEVER a Red

December 22, 2012, 01:34:18 PM
Reply #38

christiffa25

I wouldn't say rodwell was shite but severely lacking in confidence and the mentality to be more than just another player in the team.
Add to that his injury record. He was just not worth keeping vs the money we could get for him.

If he sorts his injuries out I think he'll go on to be a very good player and England international. But it was the best deal for all concerned.

Barkley will end up better than rodwell by a country mile.
Hope he starts today in fellaini's posistion. Don't see the point of playing ossie there, goal scoring threat of 0. Barkley has a goal in him and is creative. Deserves a chance IMO.

December 22, 2012, 06:43:13 PM
Reply #39

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Rodwell= the next Jermaine Jenas

December 22, 2012, 06:50:09 PM
Reply #40

NomadskiEFC

NSNO Subscriber
Ouch
Once A Blue NEVER a Red

December 22, 2012, 06:52:01 PM
Reply #41

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

Could well turn out that way. Should be capable of most roles; yet never quite getting the level required.

December 22, 2012, 06:56:52 PM
Reply #42

Thornton_19

More like Keiron Dyer