November 22, 2019, 06:19:39 PM

Author Topic: "True Fan"  (Read 6062 times)

February 06, 2013, 03:10:51 AM
Reply #15

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
You only need to look on here, some of the most knowledgable posters don't get to the games, likewise some of the complete loons do go yet haven't a clue what they're talking about.

:(

Yeah but I don't think any of it makes you more or less of a fan. You are a fan because you care. If you care about your team (and I like the post that defines caring as feeling let down and deflated when your team loses, it's all too easy to "care" when you're winning), you are a fan, plain and simple.

If you care about other teams more then it's better if you just fuck off.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 03:11:22 AM by Major Clanger »
I didn't even remember I had a signature.

February 06, 2013, 03:21:11 AM
Reply #16

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
I know some US fans follow Aston Villa, Man Utd or Liverpool because of the American owners - so the connection isn't always totally superficial.

I think the trouble you run into overseas in general is that fans as you may expect from not really growing up amongst the club rivalry tend to be a lot less fervent when following teams (and conversely I find "exiled" suporters get even more into it as it's part of their link to England). There will be some knowledgable people but there will also be a lot of fans who when you scratch the surface don't even know the players in their own team.

The only ones that can irk me are those that are the Liverpool fans yet don't know who Everton are, or if they do they don't really consider there to be any relationship between Everton and Liverpool (as in the derby may as well be any other PL game) and they consider Liverpool v Man Utd the only thing that matters.

February 06, 2013, 03:53:33 AM
Reply #17

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
To me, a fan is someone who is interested in their team, as MC says, cares. A supporter is someone who goes to the game and gives their support vocally and financially.

“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

February 06, 2013, 04:01:55 AM
Reply #18

Gash

Global Moderator
Yeah but I don't think any of it makes you more or less of a fan. You are a fan because you care. If you care about your team (and I like the post that defines caring as feeling let down and deflated when your team loses, it's all too easy to "care" when you're winning), you are a fan, plain and simple.

If you care about other teams more then it's better if you just fuck off.

I don't think it does either, it was an example to try to highlight that just because someone goes to the game doean't make them a better fan.

February 06, 2013, 04:53:10 AM
Reply #19

Shogun

Administrator
I don't think it does either, it was an example to try to highlight that just because someone goes to the game doean't make them a better fan.
Matty disagrees :whistle:

February 06, 2013, 06:20:52 AM
Reply #20

IUToffee

American here. Sadly there are loads of L'Pool supporters/fans who go the the local bar ( in Arlington, VA). Can be quite a pain. The odd time I do come across a fellow Blue I near have a heart attack and instantly become best friends with them.

February 06, 2013, 06:30:24 AM
Reply #21

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
American here. Sadly there are loads of L'Pool supporters/fans who go the the local bar ( in Arlington, VA). Can be quite a pain. The odd time I do come across a fellow Blue I near have a heart attack and instantly become best friends with them.

Like they say: if you see someone on the street wearing a Liverpool shirt, you think "There goes someone in a Liverpool shirt", if you see someone wearing an Everton shirt, you go "Hey, that's an Evertonian!"

February 06, 2013, 06:51:30 AM
Reply #22

Shogun

Administrator
By 'they' you mean verm's sig? ;)

February 06, 2013, 06:51:54 AM
Reply #23

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Just being on the Facebook Philadelphia group page, there's plenty of blues around the area. 67 and counting.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

February 06, 2013, 07:21:47 AM
Reply #24

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
By 'they' you mean verm's sig? ;)

Could be, I have no idea what's in his sig.

February 06, 2013, 09:20:22 AM
Reply #25

Ridge

My brother had convinced me to be an Everton fan when I was young enough to not remember, because a family friend had convinced him. I don't feel any guilt or less of a fan, but I can appreciate that many others have stronger ties. Other than matchdays, I've barely met any Evertonians over the years and I think in some ways being left to my own devices gives me a different perspective to most.

I used to go to watch Brighton when they were at the Goldstone Ground, but I don't recall any Brighton fans from school despite only being down the road. Now they have the new stadium, plenty of people are now behind the team and they are in a very different situation to when I was growing up. There is certainly a wider spread of interest in Brighton, now that they have a promising future. But when someone questions my allegiances, I will happily say Everton are my team. I hope Brighton get promoted, but I would also want us to take 6 points from them as they hopefully survive.

My Nan supports Blackburn as that is where she was raised, but it was never something she mentioned or had much interest in. But other than that, there isn't an interest in football in my family, except me and my brother. My genuinely local team have attendances often countable with fingers and toes, with all being family or friends.

I think you have to understand that success brings the most fans and its often the people who choose a club based on things other than recent success, than delve a bit deeper in general. The majority of United fans I know are fair weather friends, they do support the team, but most of the people who have become big overnight Brighton fans were United fans. I also do not know a Man City fan in any of my social groups, although I remember a kid who supported Liverpool, then United, before Blackburn, back to United and then Newcastle, before returning to United, so I imagine he probably does.

But between PL teams the allegiances are not as tribal in my local area, because it's so far detached. But being part of the local area, or having family connection to the area will always be a key part, If I had it, I would be proud of it too. Although I think the vast majority realise it's not a good stick to beat people with. While money talks so heavily, being an insular institution doesn't help our resources, it doesn't really matter if several come from Scandinavia.

For me, being an Evertonian is a huge part of my life, but it will always be different for different people. I can understand that people will often have more pressing issues. Collectively we have an influence, but individually we have very little. It often feels that football and its importance are outside the bounds of most sport almost like a religion. But when family matters or something important comes along, it is only a sport at the end of the day.

I think it's also worth mentioning that I think that wools, are far more likely to feel a need to justify their support.

February 06, 2013, 03:21:08 PM
Reply #26

Gash

Global Moderator
Matty disagrees :whistle:

Haha.

I have my doubts about him. Who goes to the match just to sit and post on the NSNO matchday forum? And anytime I've tried to get the internet at Goodison it's as slow as a week in the jail, that's providing you can actually get a connection.

February 06, 2013, 03:26:43 PM
Reply #27

Toddacelli

Haha.

I have my doubts about him. Who goes to the match just to sit and post on the NSNO matchday forum? And anytime I've tried to get the internet at Goodison it's as slow as a week in the jail, that's providing you can actually get a connection.

Controversial!

:snigger:

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

February 06, 2013, 03:31:29 PM
Reply #28

Gash

Global Moderator
Controversial!

:snigger:

:D

Don't get me wrong, I know he's a fan. He may get really depressing but at least it shows he cares. But he's a prime example of how he thinks he's a better fan than us armchair fans because he allegedly goes to the games.

February 06, 2013, 04:37:26 PM
Reply #29

Bally

Administrator
Haha.

I posted in the matchday thread from goodison during the West Brom game so its possible
It's the roll I way