December 14, 2018, 09:01:29 PM

Author Topic: Fulham v Everton  (Read 46161 times)

September 23, 2013, 10:19:51 PM
Read 46161 times

hill135

Martinez has said Gibson and Lukaku fit for tomorrow. Pienaar, Alcaraz definitely out and Kone likely to be out

September 25, 2013, 05:21:44 AM
Reply #1

hill135

It's a shame we dropped out though as we've lost valuable match time for some of our youngsters and fringe players.

This. These games have to be used for rotation and trying out new tactical concepts. How else are our young players like Stones expected to retain fitness, get used to the system, and ultimately to improve as players?

Rotating your squad while retaining a team strong enough to win is a difficult balancing act, and it's one I think Martinez got more or less right today. The players simply didn't play well enough.

Martinez saw the game was getting away from us and made a change to 3-5-2 which gave us more control and more in attack. It was the right change to make, it's just bad luck that they scored as they change was pending.

Last observation. What struck me was Deulofeu's one-footedness which I thought hindered us in the attacking phase. Not his fault of course, but a bit surprising from a kid from Barca's academy where technique is fetishised.