2 (5.6%)
Lukaku
0 (0%)
Deulofeu (Sub)
1 (2.8%)
Barkley (Sub)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Crystal Palace v Everton  (Read 45202 times)

November 09, 2013, 11:27:47 PM
Reply #465

Simon Paul

Administrator
Everton's updates on Facebook say it all.

Both of them.

Fifteen minutes gone and both keeper's gloves are still spotless. Not the best game so far. 0-0

Nothing to report from Selhurst Park. 0-0 after half an hour. Not the best game in fairness.

that was it.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 11:29:28 PM by Simon Paul »

November 09, 2013, 11:27:49 PM
Reply #466

Ridge

I thought Barry was quite poor distribution wise, often plays a clever forward ball that can be read, but he gave away a fair few easy ones as well today.

November 09, 2013, 11:29:35 PM
Reply #467

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
To be honest...I'm more annoyed at the players for that, than RM. We had enough dangerous situations and space in which to play to open them up.

It's not always the managers fault...sometime players have to take responsibility for that sort of dire mediocrity.

Agree to a certain extent. Could've changed formation perhaps considering we were butting our heads against a wall for a 90 mins. Also despite the subs not making much of a difference, I still maintain that starting with Osman and Mirallas was a mistake.

There were too many poor performances today though. Baines and Coleman were (attacking wise) abject, Barkley/Osman/Mirallas/Deulofeu/Lukaku all off their games. Need a few of them at least to step up.

November 09, 2013, 11:30:38 PM
Reply #468

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Naismith should be getting more game time than he has been lately for me.  Osman, Barkley and Mirallas have all been quite poor and he offers a goal threat.

November 09, 2013, 11:31:44 PM
Reply #469

Simon Paul

Administrator
Naismith should be getting more game time than he has been lately for me.  Osman, Barkley and Mirallas have all been quite poor and he offers a goal threat.

not his biggest fan but after the pre-season he had I agree

he needs to start ahead of Mirallas against the shite - unless Mirallas scores 15 for Belgium during the break and has his confidence back

November 09, 2013, 11:32:04 PM
Reply #470

blob

I thought Barry was quite poor distribution wise, often plays a clever forward ball that can be read, but he gave away a fair few easy ones as well today.

agreed. but it was hard to find anyone who played much better today, and when the majority give the keeper mom you know it's all been a bit shit.

November 09, 2013, 11:32:29 PM
Reply #471

Bluedylan

Need a few of them at least to step up.

I think this is my point summed up really well. Players not quite taking responsibility in the game at the moment. Too often when confronted by some space in the box or near the box, they're all looking to play a little dink or a flick, rather than getting hold of it, driving into space and either shooting or committing a defender and being the one that makes the difference.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

November 09, 2013, 11:35:16 PM
Reply #472

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
I think this is my point summed up really well. Players not quite taking responsibility in the game at the moment. Too often when confronted by some space in the box or near the box, they're all looking to play a little dink or a flick, rather than getting hold of it, driving into space and either shooting or committing a defender and being the one that makes the difference.

It's why Osman and Barkley playing poorly really makes us look poor. They both at least take a shot on. Pienaar, Mc Carthy and Barry will generally do anything other than shoot.

November 09, 2013, 11:37:07 PM
Reply #473

hill135

Mirallas was abject today. Up against Moxey - a championship player if there ever was one - he offered nothing. This guy's played in the CL and has numerous caps for a strong Belgium side. He should be tormenting players like Moxey.

November 09, 2013, 11:39:00 PM
Reply #474

Ridge

agreed. but it was hard to find anyone who played much better today, and when the majority give the keeper mom you know it's all been a bit shit.

Yeah, difficult to find many to praise. Thought Howard was solid when required, but hardly needed. Both centre backs did their job pretty well given that they had a large amount of space around them and I thought Pienaar was probably our best player further up the park.

November 09, 2013, 11:40:31 PM
Reply #475

toffee_scot

He has been quite unfortunate, he may not be the most talented player we have but he has proved useful on quite a few occasions.

If he had been playing in this game I would rather he had started ahead of Mirallas and Mirallas could have come on if Naismith was not performing effectively - plus Kevin would have got the message that his place in the first team isn't secure so he would have hopefully put in a much better performance.

Otherwise after Barkley and Deulofeu came on, I don't think Naismith or Jelavic would have made a big impact if they had come on later in the game for either Pienaar or Lukaku.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 11:40:58 PM by toffee_scot »

November 09, 2013, 11:42:31 PM
Reply #476

sam of the south

Been out with the special one today (my daughter, not Mourinho) so I missed it all.

Any positives?

Did McCarthy at least avoid the inevitable booking and did we avoid further injuries?
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
Henry David Thoreau

November 09, 2013, 11:45:35 PM
Reply #477

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
He has been quite unfortunate, he may not be the most talented player we have but he has proved useful on quite a few occasions.

If he had been playing in this game I would rather he had started ahead of Mirallas and Mirallas could have come on if Naismith was not performing effectively - plus Kevin would have got the message that his place in the first team isn't secure so he would have hopefully put in a much better performance.

Otherwise after Barkley and Deulofeu came on, I don't think Naismith or Jelavic would have made a big impact if they had come on later in the game for either Pienaar or Lukaku.

Agree, I would like to see him start the Derby for Mirallas now. We won't have much space and he's more of a grafter and more capable of a goal in the box than Mirallas. That's going to be important.

November 09, 2013, 11:48:28 PM
Reply #478

toffee_scot

Been out with the special one today (my daughter, not Mourinho) so I missed it all.

Any positives?

Did McCarthy at least avoid the inevitable booking and did we avoid further injuries?

Yes McCarthy avoided a booking.

As for positives...erm....
- We are now 5th in the league for one day
- We kept a clean sheet albeit we were extremely lucky Palace wasted 3 great opportunities.
- Howard did very well.
- And erm...yeah, McCarthy is available for the Merseyside Derby unless he is injured on international duty

November 09, 2013, 11:48:42 PM
Reply #479

Thornton_19

Everton played that game as if it was a friendly. It wasn't poor it was just lethargic really.