15 (22.7%)
Deulofeu
1 (1.5%)
Stones
0 (0%)
Osman
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Everton 3-3 Liverpool  (Read 57399 times)

November 10, 2013, 09:33:38 AM
Read 57399 times

Shogun

Administrator

Everton FC v Liverpool FC
Goodison Park
Saturday 23rd November 12:45
Premier League Match 12

Everton's last 5 domestic matches 2013/2014:

Manchester City 3-1 Everton (Lukaku)
Everton 2-1 Hull (Mirallas, Pienaar)
Aston Villa 0-2 Everton (Lukaku, Osman)
Everton 0-0 Tottenham
Crystal Palace 0-0 Everton

Liverpool's last 5 domestic matches 2013/2014:

Liverpool 3-1 Crystal Palace (Suarez, Sturridge, Gerrard Pen)
Newcastle 2-2 Liverpool (Gerrard Pen, Sturridge)
Liverpool 4-1 West Brom (Suarez x3, Sturridge)
Arsenal 2-0 Liverpool
Liverpool 4-0 Fulham (Amorebieta OG, Skrtel, Suarez x2)

Everton

Saturday's stalemate at Crystal Palace was a disappointment to say the least, however it shouldn't take the shine of a great start to the season. Should Everton have won at the weekend, it would have equalled the club's record points tally after 11 games. As it stands, Everton have exactly the same amount of wins, draws and defeats as they did at this stage of the season last year with 20 points.

The most amount of points Everton have gained after 11 games of a season came in 2004-05, the same season they finished 4th place in the league. Last season, Everton scored a third more goals than this season whilst also conceding 4 more goals. However in the 2012-13 season, it wasn't until the 30th game of the season that Everton achieved 6 clean sheets in the league, a feat already achieved this season.

Only 4 current Everton players have a Merseyside derby goal to their name. They have come at 3 different grounds with Steven Naismith and Leon Osman scoring at Goodison last season whilst Sylvain Distin is the only player to have scored at Anfield in a memorable 2-2 draw and Nikica Jelavic scored at Wembley. Dixie Dean has the most derby goals of any player in blue with 18 league goals and 1 in the FA Cup.

Possible Line Ups

Liverpool

Liverpool continued their fine home form at the weekend as they picked up their 5th victory in 6 home games this season. Only Chelsea have amassed more points (16), though Manchester City have won 5 in 5 at home. Their away form has also been good going into this fixture with 8 points from a possible 15, only Arsenal (13), Tottenham (10), Manchester United (9) and Everton (9) have picked up more. Overall, only Arsenal (22) have scored more goals this season than Liverpool (21).

Liverpool have made a massive improvement on last season at this stage. Rodgers struggled to get Liverpool going at the beginning of his tenure but as you can see they have almost double the amount of points than last season after 11 games. Liverpool achieved their most points tally after 11 games in the 2002-03 season when they sat top of the table with 27 points. However, it meant little in the end as Liverpool managed just 5th place in the league despite that unbeaten run.

Only 2 current Liverpool players have derby goals to their name. Steven Gerrard has the most of either side with 8 goals overall whilst Luis Suarez has 3 including 2 goals at Goodison Park last season. Ian Rush was Liverpool's most prolific derby day striker with 13 goals in the league and 25 goals overall against Everton.

Match stats and Injuries

Everton have 4 injury problems going into this game. Darron Gibson is out with an ACL Knee injury which will see him for most of the season whilst Arouna Kone also has a serious knee injury and will miss out. Apostolos Vellios is nursing a knock but Antolin Alcaraz is due to be fit after 4 months of injury set backs.

Liverpool are expected to have all but 2 players available at their disposal. Sebastian Coates also has an ACL injury which will put him out for most of the season and Iago Aspas is likely to be out for a further 3 weeks with a Thigh muscle strain.

James McCarthy and Lucas Leiva both went into last weekend on 4 yellow cards and in danger of missing out. However both managed to avoid a yellow card and will be available for the match.

This is the 221st Merseyside derby. It is the most played top flight derby in England and being played for the 51st successive season.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 11:05:16 PM by Simon Paul »
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

November 10, 2013, 02:36:42 PM
Reply #1

phillyt

I can't help but feel we are going to.get embarased here, despite our clean sheets we are giving away too many chances. Suarez is on fire atm and if he gets in behind  he will punish us. I hope I'm wrong obviously but that  is just the horrible feeling I'm getting just now. Hopefully, as the cliche goes, the formbook will go out the window.
I'm fat, but it's not my fault I have a genetic condition resulting in me retaining burgers.

November 10, 2013, 02:42:18 PM
Reply #2

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
Massive test to see what Roberto Martinez is made of. If we lose this we could lose a lot of ground on the teams we are aiming to be amongst.

We are owed a big performance from a few players.

I'll be honest, Luis Suarez terrifies me. Pains me to say it but he is probably the best player in the league and he is bang in form. Keeping him quiet would go a long way to helping us get a result.

Sadly I can't see anything other than us bottling it as we have done for the majority of my adult life in these games. Please prove me wrong Everton
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

November 10, 2013, 03:45:18 PM
Reply #3

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
I think their style suits our new style and as long as we don't revert to type we have a good chance. The problem we will have is that fans won't want to see us passing it around the back in a derby but if we don't do that and show patience they will kill us off. Roberto needs to be smart for this one and as Stealth says this is a real test for him, possibly his first one.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 04:43:59 PM by Silas »

November 10, 2013, 03:53:31 PM
Reply #4

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
If you care about keeping your hands, you wouldn't offer me a derby point right now!
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

November 10, 2013, 04:03:40 PM
Reply #5

Eddie

NSNO Subscriber
As usual I'm shitting myself for this one. I don't rate their side at all, especially the midfield but as we've seen Rat face can win games own his own and from nothing. I can't even think of a way to nullify his threat. We're going to have to ride our luck to get anything out of this game I think.
I'll assume you have been drinking... I live in Monterrey Mexico numb nuts

November 10, 2013, 04:14:59 PM
Reply #6

Alanvideo

Spurs came to Goodison and battered us first half but couldn't score . It could be more of the same against the shite ,I fancy us if we score first ,otherwise 0-0. Wonder which kopite ref we'll get ?
We are special ,we are Everton.

November 10, 2013, 04:18:32 PM
Reply #7

Redartin

What is RM's record like against Liverpool, and Shark face in particular.

Yesterday one of the commentators said that RM's teams had never won a game at Palace. It's strange how these bogeys exist and continue.
He is a Moyes dressed up in Ancelotti clothes.

November 10, 2013, 04:21:47 PM
Reply #8

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Spurs came to Goodison and battered us first half but couldn't score . It could be more of the same against the shite ,I fancy us if we score first ,otherwise 0-0. Wonder which kopite ref we'll get ?

The difference to Spurs is that they've got the league's two top scorers.

I we offer the same chance to them as we have to Palace, Spurs, Villa and even Hull it'll look a long way back at half time.

The flip side is that you rarely play the same way against no hopers like Palace as you do against such an obvious threat as Suarez.

Even if it's subconsciously there's extra concentration when you come up against those kind of players.

Overall I'm hoping that the more frenetic pace of the game will enable us to be a bit more direct (in terms of speed, not length necessarily) with our passing which would clearly be an improvement.

November 10, 2013, 04:28:04 PM
Reply #9

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
What is RM's record like against Liverpool, and Shark face in particular.

Yesterday one of the commentators said that RM's teams had never won a game at Palace. It's strange how these bogeys exist and continue.

Well he won at Anfield in 11/12.

But then I remember them stuffing Wigan at the DW last season.

November 10, 2013, 04:42:32 PM
Reply #10

Gumpinio

I can't see us keeping a clean sheet, or even keeping them to a single goal.  Suarez is in great form and Sturrdige is no mug.  I just hope we can get Lukaku some service, otherwise it might be embaressing.
"There are no desperate situations, only desperate people."
"When we have lost everything, including hope, life becomes a disgrace, and death a duty"
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."

November 10, 2013, 04:43:19 PM
Reply #11

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
I think we need to have a bit of perspective here though and not build them up as if they are some sort of leviathan. If Sturridge or Suarez are poor they don't have a lot else going for them.  Our defence and midfield are better than there's and Lukaku could be the difference this time round.

If fans and players go into this with the same old defeatist attitude we will get what we deserve.  A new manager, a new approach a win is well within us.

November 10, 2013, 05:00:43 PM
Reply #12

phillyt

I think we need to have a bit of perspective here though and not build them up as if they are some sort of leviathan. If Sturridge or Suarez are poor they don't have a lot else going for them.  Our defence and midfield are better than there's and Lukaku could be the difference this time round.

If fans and players go into this with the same old defeatist attitude we will get what we deserve.  A new manager, a new approach a win is well within us.

Your asking a lot for suarez and sturridge to be poor, they are consistent as anything just now. But its not just them, they have coutinho back, Henderson seems to be performing reasonably well and then there is gerrard, if he turns up like he often does in derbies he will cause us issues. I'm sure come matchday hysteria and bravado will take over and ill be shouting about how we will smash em but just now I'm not feeling good about it, and that feeling has 2 long weeks to fester.

With a bit of luck suarez will snap his Achilles on international duty.
I'm fat, but it's not my fault I have a genetic condition resulting in me retaining burgers.

November 10, 2013, 06:08:25 PM
Reply #13

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
We just have to hope that Saurez, Sturridge and Gerrard all suffer career ending injuries within the next two weeks.
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

November 10, 2013, 06:17:41 PM
Reply #14

Thornton_19

Think everyone is being a tad pessimistic here. Suarez as good as he is,  is prone to a stupid red card. Both teams will make mistakes its up to us to take advantage. Theyre great going forward but very suspect on the back foot. If we control the game we'll win. If we are erratic we will lose.