1 (2.9%)
Joel (Sub)
0 (0%)
Barkley (Sub)
3 (8.8%)
Jelavic (Sub)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Everton v Sunderland  (Read 27629 times)

December 23, 2013, 10:26:34 PM
Reply #30

cantoffee

It's way too tight in the league to think about essentially forfeiting the cup.

I agree, we are only 6 points above 8th and you would expect Man U to get better as the season progresses.

The Cup should still be considered important, even though resting a couple of players would not be a big deal against QPR I would think.

December 23, 2013, 10:33:53 PM
Reply #31

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
It's way too tight in the league to think about essentially forfeiting the cup.

I know, but the cup always annoys me when we're doing well in the league. I love watching us climb.
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin

December 23, 2013, 10:38:21 PM
Reply #32

The Good Citizen

I know, but the cup always annoys me when we're doing well in the league. I love watching us climb.

Yeah me too. I think for QPR we should look to rest a few players, as if they get crocked from over playing they're no use in either the league or the later rounds of the cup. This year more than others, there has to be a bit of rotation at the right time I think.
I cast a shorter shadow with every passing day

December 23, 2013, 10:50:22 PM
Reply #33

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I'm not against making a few changes in the Cup.

Just the idea of people not being as "bothered" about it this year.

We were in about this position last year - no-one was happy to forget about it then.

December 23, 2013, 11:15:36 PM
Reply #34

The Good Citizen

This was the league table after 17 games last year (quite a handy site actually):

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2012-2013/table/2012-12-17

We had 7 less points at that stage, with 34 we would have been third and 5 points clear of 4th!

It was Cheltenham last year and we played a pretty strong team if I remember, Bolton then Oldham before losing to Wigan. We tailed off a bit in the league and ended 6th but 9 adrift of Spurs in 5th.

That wasn't really in answer to anything. Looking at the final standings most teams had a fairly even points balance between the first and second half the season, only Arsenal with 33pts then 40pts saw much of a difference. We had 33 and 30 points.

..I would love an identical points balance second half this time round! :)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 11:24:19 PM by The Good Citizen »
I cast a shorter shadow with every passing day

December 24, 2013, 12:28:58 AM
Reply #35

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
That Sunderland forum is genius. Get on them shogun, poor lads.

December 24, 2013, 12:31:00 AM
Reply #36

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Some of our fans don't half say some stupid things. The fa cup should never be sacrificed just because we're doing well in the league. Unless you draw and have to play a replay, the cup doesn't get in the way of the league

December 24, 2013, 12:42:36 AM
Reply #37

Shogun

Administrator
Been trying to sign up, can only sign up with your ISP address and I've no idea what mine is.
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

December 24, 2013, 01:29:17 AM
Reply #38

Shogun

Administrator
They absolutely hate Alan Stubbs on there by the way
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

December 24, 2013, 01:39:05 AM
Reply #39

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Didn't they get Thomas myre from us?

December 24, 2013, 02:32:41 AM
Reply #40

Eddie

NSNO Subscriber
MOB....

Big wheel keep on turning.

This is being written dead late by which time you’ve read every last match report online or if you’ve not got a computer you’ve at least been to the barbers especially to read all their papers. That last bit obviously only applies to subscribers reading via the TINF semaphore service.

Anyway, given that so much time has expired, and the Arsenal game’s coming on the telly in a bit, this whole bit is going to be smooshed together with the Sunderland preview and the whole ungodly mess is going to be diced into bite-sized Parmentiers.

The term you are reaching for here is ‘phoning it in’.

Roberto Martinez warns about over-hyping Ross Barkley.

And rightly so. The midfielder scored a brilliant free kick and had another powerful run and shot, but some of the reaction in the press after the game was way over the top. By the standard Barkley set in the derby and at Old Trafford and the Emirates his overall performance here was way below par, to the extent that he looked like he was carrying an injury for most of the first half.

Anyone who writes about matches can’t help but have their report take shape while the game’s in progress and when he slipped when put in by Steven Pienaar the old faithful crutch of saying, ‘summed his afternoon up’, loomed large.

It would seem from now on though that much of the tabloid media have got their story where Everton are concerned.

Barkley doesn’t practise free kicks.

Firstly, why not? What else has he got to do that’s so pressing that he can’t have a little go now and again?

Have a word, Roberto.

Anyway, practise or not, what a timely humdinger this one was.

The top players nowadays – and we think Barkley is one, if you’ve got a bit of a titty lip about saying he wasn’t quite as divine in this game as the papers reckon – kicking these NASA footballs with their isosceles boots, seem to approach free kicks from improbable, post-modern angles. It’s almost as if they aim for an imaginary goal set at 30-odd degrees to the posts. Which is problematic for goalkeepers who are notorious for dealing almost exclusively in reality.

Anyway, whatever plane Barkley was operating in he struck the ball such that it arced viciously, like a mis-hit Swingball, but instead of striking a French exchange student in the neck it caromed off the slick underbelly of the crossbar and crossed the line in rain-sodden triumph. For a ball.

Seamus Coleman’s goal wasn’t bad either.

In fact it was utterly sensational, and no more than his performance deserved.

Coleman has always been popular just for his sheer enthusiasm and endless energy, but he just seems to improve all the time in every aspect of his game. In interviews he always comes across as level-headed and all that, but on the pitch he is utterly fearless and respecter of no reputation. No matter who he is up against his attitude seems to be, ‘Sound, dead skilful are you? Well today I am planning on running up and down here like fuck until someone tells me to stop. Care to join me, you bad jockey? Well let’s dance.’

‘Why didn’t David Moyes buy Barkley instead of Marouane Fellaini?’

Loads of observers are saying that. And the simple answer is ‘because only one of them was for sale’.

The same applies to Arsenal fans who keep assuming that they can just have Coleman as a replacement for Bacary Sagna.

Until they all inevitably spunk it up the wall on players’ wages the bigger-than-expected telly deal has given everyone a bit of financial leeway, at least to the extent that clubs like Everton, for so long scratching around to keep paying their three points over the vig every month, no longer have to cast a desperate eye over their prettiest daughter whenever the light is blocked through the pane of glass on the front door and those heavy knuckles begin knock, knock, knocking.

In short, fuck off.

Something about Sunderland.

We nearly always batter them at Goodison but this season has shown plenty of clubs that if you take any opponents for granted then you can very well come unstuck where you least expect it. They are bottom of the league for a reason though, i.e. because they are cack.

Their manager, Gus Poyet, comes across as something of a crank – one that looks a lot like a cartoon wolf who drives a car in an old, vaguely racist Disney feature.

His suggestion last week that the FA should consider having the season running to coincide with the school terms was an absolute doozy that never really got as much attention as it deserved.

Essentially it boiled down to, ‘Yeeeeeeaaaah, you think being in football is good like, but the holidays are shite. Not like them teachers, fucking hell…’

None of the reports confirmed whether he then went on to say something about ‘lazy frigging firemen. They’ve all got second jobs doing building and that, you know’.

Or whether he whistled as an attractive lady walked past, prompting his beating heart to literally protrude a foot out of his chest and his massive tongue to loll all the way to the floor.

He probably never, in fairness.
I'll assume you have been drinking... I live in Monterrey Mexico numb nuts

December 24, 2013, 02:36:50 AM
Reply #41

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
I'm never gonna read that. Anything more than a paragraph is to much

December 24, 2013, 02:37:41 AM
Reply #42

Eddie

NSNO Subscriber
I'm never gonna read that. Anything more than a paragraph is to much

It is worth it to be fair. He's quite funny.
I'll assume you have been drinking... I live in Monterrey Mexico numb nuts

December 24, 2013, 02:49:12 AM
Reply #43

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
Was guna go to this but no fucking trains ugh
I have to return some videotapes.

December 24, 2013, 03:04:47 AM
Reply #44

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
It is worth it to be fair. He's quite funny.

That was brilliant
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...