0 (0%)
Lukaku
1 (1.3%)
Pienaar (Sub)
1 (1.3%)
Mirallas (Sub)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: Everton v Southampton  (Read 28171 times)

December 28, 2013, 03:00:23 AM
Reply #30

dekko

People thinking of dropping Lukaku? Jesus.
As mentioned, I'd replace Barry with Barkley, and maybe try Naismith behind Lukaku.

December 28, 2013, 03:04:53 AM
Reply #31

Bluedylan

People thinking of dropping Lukaku? Jesus.
As mentioned, I'd replace Barry with Barkley, and maybe try Naismith behind Lukaku.

I like that suggestion. I'd worry a bit about Ross overplaying it in deeper areas, and possibly making one or two bad decisions against their pressing style, but I'd still prefer somebody with some physicality there than Osman.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

December 28, 2013, 03:50:24 AM
Reply #32

mikey_blue

Barkley can play any position, the lads got it all. Stick Naismith behind Lukaku. Naismith has a great instinct for goals and if we reinstate Baines, I like his chances of latching onto one of his crosses.

Very tough game. I think Martinez's positive attitude will be vital to make sure the team spring back.

COYB!

December 28, 2013, 04:03:33 AM
Reply #33

Thornton_19

I think we will have enough to beat Soton which ever 11 we put out. Thats not me underestimating Southampton, i just believe after that defeat we will get a big response from our team and we should win.

I think it will be close but we'll take it 3-1/4-2

December 28, 2013, 06:09:53 AM
Reply #34

Shogun

Administrator
Saw a stats before their match against Cardiff.

Southampton goalkeeper Gazzaniga has faced 9 shots on target this season and conceded 7 goals.
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

December 28, 2013, 08:30:52 AM
Reply #35

bacon sarnie

Would anyone drop Mirallas given how shit he has been of late?

He's out with the shits.

December 28, 2013, 01:45:35 PM
Reply #36

farnhamtoffee

He's out with the shits.

What hes out drinking with Gerrard and Suarez ??

December 28, 2013, 02:46:18 PM
Reply #37

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
This is a game for 3 at the back. Bring Stones or Alcaraz in for Barry, Barkley for Osman and Robles for Howard.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

December 28, 2013, 02:54:45 PM
Reply #38

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
I thought this was on TV?
I have to return some videotapes.

December 28, 2013, 02:58:24 PM
Reply #39

kewns23

I thought it was on tv, however its seems both clubs agreed to move it to Sunday for reasons unknown ummm lol
Ever in need of a Printer speak too me or check out our ebay shop
Blakes-Emporium
<a href = "http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Blakes-Emporium?_trksid=p2047675.l2563">

December 28, 2013, 04:16:41 PM
Reply #40

Eddie

NSNO Subscriber
MOB...

The games are officially coming all Darren Huckerby now – that’s right, ‘thick and fast’ – so once again we adopt the lazy-arse scattergun approach of talking about what’s going on, Toffee-wise, at the moment.

Systems are no substitute for intelligence

The horrendous snafuckup that blew the Sunderland game was more down to poor decision-making than the Roberto Martinez ‘method’. Granted, if you watched a lot of Wigan Athletic over the last few seasons you would be forgiven that horrific blunders at the back were an integral feature of the Spaniard’s philosophy, but the responsibility for ‘doing a Caldwell’ has to lie with the players.

After all, it’s not as if our goalies have never rolled the ball out before during the past century or so of football at Goodison.

That said, if you do it every time without fail it does become a bit predictable and maybe encourages the opposition to make that bit more effort to pressurise the outfield player receiving the ball. Again though, it’s down to the players to make the right decisions – it’s not enough to take unnecessary risks at the back and then simply shrug and say ‘the manager told me to do it’ when it all goes cigar shaped.

Incidentally, a lot of people have said that Tim Howard made a further error by bringing down the Sunderland player and getting sent off. In that split second though, his instinct will have been to stop a goal. He tried to make a save but Ki Sung-Yeung was a bit too quick for him. It’s easy with hindsight to suggest he should have allowed the Korean to walk the ball in, but could you imagine the scenes at Goodison if he had stood there and ushered him forward like a footman doing the ‘your carriage awaits’ sweep of the arm towards an open net?

We need to talk about Romelu

With 10 men you need a heroic performance from your centre-forward, unfortunately though ours is having a horrible time at the moment.

Romelu Lukaku looked like an utter phenomenon when he first arrived at Everton but in the last month he seems to have fallen apart. A key feature of Everton’s play has become brilliant moves culminating with Lukaku and Ross Barkley shaking their heads at each other and pointing at completely different areas of the pitch as the ball dribbles out for a goal kick,  even during the majestic team performances at Manchester United and Arsenal, .

We’ve said it before but the burly Belgian needs to get back to basics. He has to accept that he can’t always have 30 yards of pitch to run into with defenders bouncing off him like Jonah Lomu, and that 90% of being a centre-forward involves getting the better of the jiu-jitsu skirmishes with the centre-half and taking your lumps for the team. Drifting out to the wings and making applause-prompting loping jogs to hurry the keeper up are all well and good, if you want to be Marcus Bent, but Lukaku apparently wants to be the best striker in the world.

When Nikica Jelavic is coming on and showing you up by winning a simple free-kick you know you need to have a look at what you are doing.

When we played Arsenal and they started getting a bit of joy towards the end of the first half, it was because Olivier Giroud was standing strong on the edge of the box and the attacking midfielders were confident that they could fire a pass into his feet, make a run past him and he would hold the defender off and try and ‘turn the ball around the corner’ for them. Everton are crying out for a bit of that simple stuff at the moment, especially given how much possession they have just outside the opponents’ box.

There’s no lack of effort by Lukaku – if anything he’s trying too hard.

How will Martinez cope with his first hint of adversity?

Two games away from going the whole year unbeaten at home, facing a team bottom of the league who traditionally get prison-petted all over the place at Goodison – ka-blammo, 1-0 reverse.

Everton that.

As they say.

Apparently.

It’s not a crisis, or even a mini crisis. Hell, it doesn’t even merit the term ‘crisette’, but things have been running so smoothly this season that even one rather unlucky defeat at home feels like a bit of a blow.

Anyway, as a result of that game the new Blues’ boss now has some selection problems ahead of facing a more than decent Southampton team.

Joel Robles obviously comes straight in for Howard while presumably Leon Osman, after having a good long think about just what he did on Boxing Day, gets to try and redeem himself in midfield alongside Ross Barkley and James McCarthy.

Gareth Barry’s experience will certainly be missed against a wily sort of Saints team – the wide-waisted former England man was magnificent again organising the 10 man assault on Sunderland in the second half on Sunday. Given that he is almost certainly the slowest player in the Premier League he should be getting mugged off constantly, but his first touch, anywhere from the neck down, is so immaculate, and he shields the ball so effortlessly, that it is almost never a problem.

12 months ago you would never have imagined that we would all have a massive man crush on a player famous only for trailing in the wake of Mezut Ozil – can’t do the Umlaut – and that the form of Bryan Oviedo would have people weighing up whether a decent bid for Leighton Baines might be worth considering.

Something about Southampton

Their jowly young-Homer-Simpson-haired manager Mauricio Pochettino has essentially become the poster boy for sacking popular managers who appear to be doing ok. And for people who like to pass shite they read in the paper and hear on Match of the Day off as their own deep insights into the game – for instance that clueless Portsmouth supporter on the Football Ramble when he does his ‘but seriously now, it’s just not good enough’ voice – it’s de rigeur that you mention Saints’ ‘high pressing game’ whenever you mention them this season.

So we just have.

They have some decent players and are ‘coming off the back of’ a good win at Cardiff City. Incidentally, can you wait to see who takes over there? Or even better, listen to their first press conference when they are asked about working for Vincent Tan?

‘I know what you’re saying like, but, you know, we’ve all got to put a loaf on the table, lad’.

And that’s where this thing just sort of peters out, almost apologetically.
I'll assume you have been drinking... I live in Monterrey Mexico numb nuts

December 28, 2013, 06:37:01 PM
Reply #41

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
Breaking News:

The Southampton team bus drove past me before
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

December 28, 2013, 06:41:39 PM
Reply #42

Gash

Global Moderator
Breaking News:

The Southampton team bus drove past me before

Before what?

December 28, 2013, 06:56:20 PM
Reply #43

Sozzled

I'm reviewing my team selection

Robles

Coleman Jagielka Distin Oviedo

McCarthy Osman(lucky sod)

Mirallas Barkley Pienaar

Lukaku(got to keep faith)

December 28, 2013, 07:26:11 PM
Reply #44

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
We'll win this. Just a case of how many we'll get.
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney