16 (40%)
Osman (Sub)
2 (5%)
Heitinga (Sub)
0 (0%)
Gueye (Sub)
1 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Stevenage v Everton  (Read 26222 times)

January 21, 2014, 08:06:31 PM
Reply #45

sharpattack

Although I think some rotation against a League 1 side is ok, some respect must be shown.

We can't afford to throw away the chance of winning the Cup.
We rotated against Leeds and Fulham in the CC and got beaten on both occasions.
NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
The Board might forget, we don't

January 21, 2014, 08:10:03 PM
Reply #46

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

We did but they're totally different propositions to Stevenage. Also they were the League cup where it is, rightly or wrongly, more acceptable.

I'm not advocating changes that would jeopardise our place in the cup - far from it - but some chances will be inevitable.

January 21, 2014, 08:10:30 PM
Reply #47

Rhys

We rotated heavily and ludicrously at Leeds though, bringing in junior for his debut, Oviedo when he had just arrived etc. still don't know how moyes thought giving junior his first outing in a professional game against someone like Michael brown was a good idea.

Bringing in people like Oviedo for Baines, Naismith for mirallas and mcgeady if he could start and play an hour to rest someone like mirallas would be ok in my opinion. But don't have the squad to make 5 or 6 changes anyway!

January 21, 2014, 08:18:43 PM
Reply #48

sharpattack

It might be a heresy to suggest it but the reality is we can afford to lose a league game but not a cup match. As people never tire of telling me teams have setbacks in the league and despite the opponents in the next league match, winning (or not losing as some people consider that a positive) would not outweigh losing in the cup. Our next fixture is the most important.
NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
The Board might forget, we don't

January 21, 2014, 09:10:45 PM
Reply #49

Fellainis Hairdresser

joel
stones jagielka alcaraz Oviedo
Naismith barry McCarthy mcgeady
mirallas vellios

more than enough there
We're Forever Evertonnnnn!!

January 21, 2014, 10:49:41 PM
Reply #50

edbootle

Fancy us to get beat 1-0. Lukaku own goal. lolol
:cheers:

January 21, 2014, 10:51:57 PM
Reply #51

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Fancy us to get beat 1-0. Lukaku own goal. lolol

haha
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

January 21, 2014, 10:57:15 PM
Reply #52

Zoolander

I'd be tempted to go  three at the back and rest both Baines and Oviedo, both need to be 100% for Tuesday with the others that are out.
I'd also play Lukaku from the start as he's not looking tired - just out of form and some goals v these may be what he needs.

January 22, 2014, 12:55:17 AM
Reply #53

toffee_scot

We won't be able to rest many key players for the derby. We could give Stones a run out and Naismith too, maybe even Vellios and Gueye (if he is still there). Dare I say it but Hibbert could do with some minutes too as he will probably be needed for the merseyside derby so this is good for sharpness.

It concerns me a bit that we don't have a lot of central midfield options, if either Barry or McCarthy get injured then that's Osman guaranteed the vacant position for the next while.

January 22, 2014, 04:01:03 AM
Reply #54

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
I want 4th.  I want the Derby win.  Start Vellios and whatever flotsam needed to ensure we are 100% for the Shite.  If we lose, we lose.

Don't be daft. We can win this thing
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

January 22, 2014, 04:03:40 AM
Reply #55

Gash

Global Moderator
I want 4th.  I want the Derby win.  Start Vellios and whatever flotsam needed to ensure we are 100% for the Shite.  If we lose, we lose.

Contrary to rumour, next Tuesday isn't "our cup final".

January 22, 2014, 04:42:59 AM
Reply #56

Bally

Administrator
It might be a heresy to suggest it but the reality is we can afford to lose a league game but not a cup match. As people never tire of telling me teams have setbacks in the league and despite the opponents in the next league match, winning (or not losing as some people consider that a positive) would not outweigh losing in the cup. Our next fixture is the most important.

this
It's the roll I way

January 22, 2014, 07:30:33 PM
Reply #57

Evertonian in NC

It's quite probable that I'm just emotionally invested in the chase for 4th now.  I think if you do the probability math, though - winning a "knockout" competition is less likely than finishing 4th.  I don't think we have the depth to seriously challenge for both.  We could stretch ourselves thin chasing the Cup, lose in, say the semis - and in turn end up 7th in the league.  That would leave me pretty gutted.

It's sort of the flip side of what Moyes did, conserving resources for the Cup when it was plain that it would be almost impossible to finish better than 7th.  Although I'm sure that was...ahem, a tad controversial at the time (I wasn't clued into this forum yet).

Of course, we may in truth not have enough healthy flotsam to properly rest our squad for the Shite anyway.  So this is likely just an academic discussion. Got to kill time until Saturday somehow, right?
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

January 22, 2014, 07:41:11 PM
Reply #58

Big Nev

NSNO Subscriber
Contrary to rumour, next Tuesday isn't "our cup final".

Totally agree with this.

We are playing well and will do well against both Stevenage and RS.
Rotterdam \'85
I was there!!!

January 22, 2014, 10:37:45 PM
Reply #59

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
It's quite probable that I'm just emotionally invested in the chase for 4th now.  I think if you do the probability math, though - winning a "knockout" competition is less likely than finishing 4th.  I don't think we have the depth to seriously challenge for both.  We could stretch ourselves thin chasing the Cup, lose in, say the semis - and in turn end up 7th in the league.  That would leave me pretty gutted.

It's sort of the flip side of what Moyes did, conserving resources for the Cup when it was plain that it would be almost impossible to finish better than 7th.  Although I'm sure that was...ahem, a tad controversial at the time (I wasn't clued into this forum yet).

Of course, we may in truth not have enough healthy flotsam to properly rest our squad for the Shite anyway.  So this is likely just an academic discussion. Got to kill time until Saturday somehow, right?

We got to a cup final and finished 5th a few years back with a smaller squad.
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney