3 (11.5%)
Barkley (Sub)
0 (0%)
Deulofeu (Sub)
0 (0%)
McGeady (Sub)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Tottenham v Everton  (Read 40161 times)

February 10, 2014, 01:28:19 AM
Reply #615

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
By the time he offers anything the ship might have sailed, that is if you are still hankering after a top 4 place, which I am not since I do not believe in Roy of the Rovers fairy tales.  5th or 6th or 7th will be very good all things considering.
I know but I think he was available and bob wanted him so took the risk. Fourth has long gone imo, it's about finishing as strongly as we can now

Simply simply lovely

February 10, 2014, 03:33:32 AM
Reply #616

dunleerblue

cant wait till wednesday, lessons learned from that schoolboy free kick error and osman not scoring, bring barkley back and enjoy wednesday!

February 10, 2014, 03:38:14 AM
Reply #617

toffee_scot

I find it hard to believe that Martinez was happy to go into the fight for 4th with so few options at the time. Like I said previously Martinez is a good guy who wont rock the boat. Tbh I cant say that effectively giving up on 4th by  being so tight in the transfer market was ever the sensible choice. But hey most people are happy with 6th.

Martinez's original plan was to bring in 2 players in January especially to compensate for the loss of Kone and Gibson (who are really essentially squad players) and he brought in McGeady who has the potential to be a very decent player and compete with Mirallas or Pienaar for a role on the wing and Traore may prove to be far more productive than Kone.

Please do not forget that in January we had the misfortune of suffering many injuries especially to key players like Coleman, Distin, Lukaku, Jagielka, Pienaar, Alcaraz and Oviedo at varying points in the month - many of them though being short term. So that's one of the main reasons people are upset we didn't bring in one or two more players as a panic buy. But tell me who else was available in January that we could have bought to take the club forward? Kenwyne Jones? Or we could have tried to go for Mata but where would we have got the 37m from?

February 10, 2014, 03:47:54 AM
Reply #618

toffee_scot

I'm a supporter of RM and his refreshing style of football.

...but...why does he bring in injured players?  Especially in the Jan window when we needed a fit striker?  We sold a fit striker and borrowed another unfit one.   Why would any manager do that?   EFC doesn't have deep enough pockets or a deep enough squad to have the luxury of bringing in injured players. 

And if Traore was fit enough to sit on the bench, why wasn't he given a chance today?   

Traore may not take that long to get fit, and if he does provide at least 5 goals then he will already have done much better than Lukaku's other understudies this season. The timing of Lukaku's injury was very unfortunate - just a few days before the transfer window closed! Otherwise this would not be an issue.

Traore didn't come on because we had 3 other very decent attacking players from the bench - one of whom can also play up front and is an impact player. Its just that it doesn't always work on the day unfortunately.

Traore was brought in as our 2nd choice striker, Lukaku is our first choice

February 10, 2014, 06:47:45 AM
Reply #619

goodtouchforabigman

Thought we were dead unlucky today but again lacking in the final third. On this occasion I think RM got his substitutions wrong, I'd have left both Osman & Pienaar on and just brought Deulofeu on. I thought we totally lost our shape and didn't threaten until injury time. I also thought McGeady was pretty poor, hopefully he'll get better with match fitness.