0 (0%)
Naismith (pick this answer) (sub)
38 (76%)
Osman (sub)
0 (0%)
Deulofeu (sub)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: Everton v Swansea  (Read 19656 times)

February 14, 2014, 09:14:51 AM
Read 19656 times

Shogun

Administrator

Everton v Swansea City
Goodison Park
Sunday 16th February 13:30
FA Cup 5th round

Everton's last 5 domestic results:

West Brom 1-1 Everton (Mirallas)
Stevenage 0-4 Everton - FA Cup (Naismith x2, Heitinga, Gueye)
Liverpool 4-0 Everton
Everton 2-1 Aston Villa (Naismith, Mirallas)
Tottenham 1-0 Everton

Swansea's last 5 domestic results:

Birmingham 1-2 Swansea - FA Cup (Bony x2)
Swansea 2-0 Fulham (Shelvey, O.G)
West Ham 2-0 Swansea
Swansea 3-0 Cardiff (Routledge, Dyer, Bony)
Stoke 1-1 Swansea (Chico)

Everton

Everton are likely to go into this game fresher than their opponents as their match at home to Crystal Palace was called off just half an hour prior to kick off. However it does mean Everton are still mulling over a harsh defeat to rivals Tottenham for that European spot. Everton have a rich history with the FA Cup. In the 1933 final, Everton players wore shirts numbered 1-11 which was the first major competitive game ever to have the players' shirts numbered. The 1966 final was the first time a team had come back from 2 goals down against 11 men to win the FA Cup as Everton defeated Sheffield Wednesday 3-2 in a final overshadowed by the World Cup Final.

Everton's defence is having a superb season so far having conceded just 26 goals in 25 games in the premier league which is bettered only Chelsea have conceded fewer goals (21). However the clean sheets have been few and far between recently having failed to keep out the opposition in their last 4 matches. On a positive note, Everton have won 3 home games in a row after defeating Southampton 2-1, Norwich 2-0 and Aston Villa 2-1 at Goodison Park. Everton's previous 2 FA Cup matches ended in 4-0 victories for the Toffees.

Possible Line Ups

Swansea City

Unlike Everton, Swansea were able to play a game in midweek. Although they probably wouldn't have minded a night off given that away to Stoke on a wet and windy night isn't the most enticing prospect along with the fact they are hosts to Napoli on Thursday night in their Europa League tie. Garry Monk followed up his début managerial win over rivals Cardiff with a point at the Britannia as Chico Flores scored his second of the season to secure a point for the Jacks.

The Europa League and FA Cup may come as a welcome distraction for Swansea as their league form this season has been nothing to write home about. They've had very little to shout about in matches against the top teams in the Premier League having taken just 4 points from a possible 36 from the current Top 9 thanks to a 2-2 draw against Liverpool and a 3-0 win over Newcastle at the Liberty Stadium in December.

Stats & Injuries

Everton are without long term injuries Darron Gibson, Arouna Kone and Bryan Oviedo whilst Romelu Lukaku has a foot injury and Anolin Alcaraz is suffering from muscle fatigue with both set to return at the start of March. Swansea will be without Michu who is still a week away from recovery whilst Jonjo Shelvey is also a doubt.

I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

February 14, 2014, 10:49:28 AM
Reply #1

American Evertonian

Them having Shelvey and Michu still out will be a nice help for us. Finally good to play a team without their influential players like we have been for a bit.
A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are for.

February 14, 2014, 07:36:10 PM
Reply #2

Shogun

Administrator
Mad they have never beaten us in 18 attempts.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 07:46:25 PM by Shogun »
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

February 14, 2014, 07:44:59 PM
Reply #3

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Mad they have never beaten us in 17 attempts.
Oh well in shogs

Simply simply lovely

February 14, 2014, 07:45:05 PM
Reply #4

The Good Citizen

Great opportunity to progress to the next round with only 2 teams left above us in the league.

I cast a shorter shadow with every passing day

February 14, 2014, 08:13:33 PM
Reply #5

Evertonian in NC

American blues get very lucky with TV coverage - our game is on FS1 (which everybody gets), as opposed to the other Prem heavyweight Cup games, each of which is on FS2 (which almost nobody gets).
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

February 14, 2014, 10:39:59 PM
Reply #6

charlatan

Oh well in shogs

Didn't Wigan have a similar stat last season?

February 15, 2014, 12:09:39 AM
Reply #7

Alanvideo

Great opportunity to progress to the next round with only 2 teams left above us in the league.

..........and then draw Wigan at home in the 6th. What could possibly go wrong ?
We are special ,we are Everton.

February 15, 2014, 01:02:00 AM
Reply #8

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
We'll smash these.

February 15, 2014, 01:51:36 AM
Reply #9

Redartin

Them having Shelvey and Michu still out will be a nice help for us. Finally good to play a team without their influential players like we have been for a bit.

Michu might make an appearance

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26195617
He is a Moyes dressed up in Ancelotti clothes.

February 15, 2014, 02:35:14 AM
Reply #10

Bacarelle

We'll smash these.

What was your prediction for the Wigan match last year ?

Let's hope that our returning injured players are really recovered enough to make a difference.
The elephant is a pretty bird
It flits from bough to bough
It makes its nest in a rhubarb tree
And whistles like a cow

February 15, 2014, 02:39:33 AM
Reply #11

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
American blues get very lucky with TV coverage - our game is on FS1 (which everybody gets), as opposed to the other Prem heavyweight Cup games, each of which is on FS2 (which almost nobody gets).

Nice one. Didn't know that.

We'll smash these.

Just a question of how many.
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

February 15, 2014, 03:58:52 AM
Reply #12

blueski

hate playing teams with new managers, we have a real tendency to bottle it against relegation fodder on a new manager

there will be no excuses though; with no midweek fixture our team will be strong and on paper should win handily
Nil Satis

February 15, 2014, 04:14:49 AM
Reply #13

bluegrant

hate playing teams with new managers, we have a real tendency to bottle it against relegation fodder on a new manager

there will be no excuses though; with no midweek fixture our team will be strong and on paper should win handily
should do mate,but were on itv live we always cock it up in cup games when were on tv live ,hope not this time

February 15, 2014, 02:57:11 PM
Reply #14

howlin wolf

Big game for us. Important that we play a strong team and don't rest key players unless there's a very good reason. I want to see Deulofeu starting. This is a cup tie, we should be getting at them from the off, and giving Deulofeu an hour to run his legs off could be just what he needs and what the team needs.