0 (0%)
Barkley (Sub)
0 (0%)
Mcgeady (Sub)
0 (0%)
Thank fuck for that
18 (27.7%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: Sunderland v Everton  (Read 29320 times)

April 09, 2014, 04:10:34 PM
Reply #60

Shogun

Administrator
Shame their attitude towards Hillsborough let's them down.
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

April 09, 2014, 06:11:45 PM
Reply #61

The Good Citizen

In fairness it's mainly one nobhead and the rest calling him for it.
I cast a shorter shadow with every passing day

April 09, 2014, 06:34:47 PM
Reply #62

74Blue

Like many fans of other clubs outside the city, their opinions are formed from what they read in the newspapers back in '89. Back then, the lies that were printed in the red tops were gobbled up as gospel by the masses. That is just one of the reasons why the families of the victims have fought so hard for so long for the whole case to be reviewed and have sought for the truth about what actually happened that day to be made public and responsibility to be taken by the culpable parties. Hillsborough was a disaster waiting to happen and it could just as easily have been 96 Everton fans who lost their lives that day, had the semi final draw been in a different order. Having known one of the victims and his family quite well growing up, I may be a little bit biased about the whole affair, as I saw first hand the pain and suffering that his nearest and dearest have gone through just to get this far. If nothing else, a full judicial review will offer them some closure and will help with coming to terms with their loss. 25 years on and they still don't know the whole truth about the events of that day. I wish them well in their pursuit of justice and closure and pray that the forthcoming months in court will finally help some of the families to come to terms with their tragic loss and provide some reassurance that those who lost their lives did not do so in vain. Football Stadia in the top leagues of English football are now a much safer place to be, thanks to the lessons learned from tragedies such as Hillsborough and the Bradford fire in '85. Nobody deserves to die over a game of football, but when they do, the only thing that we can do is learn lessons from it and ensure that the risk of re-occurrence is eliminated, or at the very least mitigated. That is the least that we owe those who lost their lives in such tragic circumstances.

April 09, 2014, 08:42:03 PM
Reply #63

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Personally I don't really see the need in having every game played at 15:07

April 09, 2014, 08:54:29 PM
Reply #64

Gash

Global Moderator
It's every game in the league that's doing it, so even the 5 o'clock FA Cup game kicks off at 7 minutes past and the 12.15 lunchtime game in the Championship is 12.22 etc. I don't see the problem, it's just the same as if a famous England player dies there's usually some form of tribute at most grounds around the country.

April 09, 2014, 10:06:15 PM
Reply #65

The Good Citizen

It's a minute out of a football fans time to remember the worst sporting disaster this country has witnessed but you always get the odd idiot. Everyone of a certain age remembers where they were when those events were unfolding and in many ways it changed the face of football as a legacy. I still can't fathom why the Bradford fire disaster is so seldom remembered, I also vaguely remember witnessing that as a kid and it was terrifying. 56 lost their lives but a lot of younger fans are not even aware of it. Personally I think that's wrong.

April 09, 2014, 10:44:35 PM
Reply #66

The Analog Kid

It's a minute out of a football fans time to remember the worst sporting disaster this country has witnessed but you always get the odd idiot. Everyone of a certain age remembers where they were when those events were unfolding and in many ways it changed the face of football as a legacy. I still can't fathom why the Bradford fire disaster is so seldom remembered, I also vaguely remember witnessing that as a kid and it was terrifying. 56 lost their lives but a lot of younger fans are not even aware of it. Personally I think that's wrong.

The Bradford fire was in the same month as the Heysel disaster, Bradford fans celebrating being promoted that season in their final home game, they showed it on Grandstand. It was shocking.

Regarding Hillsborough, I'll observe whatever silence, etc they have for it, as my mate and his arl fella died in it.

April 10, 2014, 12:10:17 AM
Reply #67

Bluedylan

It's just a recognition of something important that affected a lot of people and that is still ongoing. I'm a bit obsessed (like most on here) by my footie, but it's not a terrible thing to remind people that there's certain things in life which are more important than footie.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

April 10, 2014, 12:24:57 AM
Reply #68

ally2

I'm not belittling commemorations because we can learn from history, and we are human, we are emotional. But there are too many. Barely a week goes by without some former player or national treasure passing away. It's sad but it's normal. Take Munich - that was 1958 for gods sake.

April 10, 2014, 12:38:09 AM
Reply #69

74Blue

I think that the fact that it's the 25th anniversary makes it even more significant this year, particularly as the judicial case is finally starting and there is finally some hope for the families who lost loved ones that they may soon get some closure. What is seven minutes of your life to remember people who lost their lives in one of football's darkest hours. As far as the Bradford fire is concerned, I would be just as happy to observe some sort of tribute to the victims of that tragedy too. So sad when people lose their lives at an event as trivial (in the grand scheme of things) as a football match.

April 11, 2014, 03:00:02 AM
Reply #70

Simon Paul

Administrator

April 11, 2014, 05:56:06 AM
Reply #71

MRB85

Football Stadia in the top leagues of English football are now a much safer place to be, thanks to the lessons learned from tragedies such as Hillsborough and the Bradford fire in '85. Nobody deserves to die over a game of football, but when they do, the only thing that we can do is learn lessons from it and ensure that the risk of re-occurrence is eliminated, or at the very least mitigated. That is the least that we owe those who lost their lives in such tragic circumstances.

Was there much of an enquiry over Bradford?  Or Ibrox? Or indeed Heysel?  Or were they all investigated to only a relatively cursory level since they were only seeking confirmation that they were essentially the results of circumstance? Presumably the thing that makes Hillsboro different and still under investigation, is the cover-up issue.

April 11, 2014, 04:47:46 PM
Reply #72

The Good Citizen

Was there much of an enquiry over Bradford?  Or Ibrox? Or indeed Heysel?  Or were they all investigated to only a relatively cursory level since they were only seeking confirmation that they were essentially the results of circumstance? Presumably the thing that makes Hillsboro different and still under investigation, is the cover-up issue.

I'm not looking to accuse, but I'm suprised that Bradford passed without much of an enquiry. It was an old dry wooden stand sat above a 20 year old litter tip underneath, which acted as kindling so all it took was a cigarette. Unbelievable by today's health and safety stands but I supposed today's safeguards were built upon these sorts of disasters.

This is all completely off topic off course but maybe spare a though for those Bradford fans this Saturday too.

April 11, 2014, 08:35:15 PM
Reply #73

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
http://www.sunderlandworld.com/2014/04/opponents-talk-everton-home-2/

I did a Q&A with one of their websites this week

didnt know your mum was a sunderland fan Si!!!
I have to return some videotapes.

April 11, 2014, 09:25:56 PM
Reply #74

Simon Paul

Administrator
didnt know your mum was a sunderland fan Si!!!

she's not, she's from Sunderland though and her dad supports them