October 15, 2019, 07:11:17 PM

Author Topic: Ched Evans  (Read 12794 times)

October 09, 2014, 05:27:34 PM
Read 12794 times

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 03:29:34 AM by Gash »
I didn't even remember I had a signature.

October 09, 2014, 05:34:21 PM
Reply #1

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Simply simply lovely

October 09, 2014, 05:37:22 PM
Reply #2

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
Whats worse? Death or Rape?

Admittedly neither should be committed

???

October 09, 2014, 05:48:41 PM
Reply #3

Bluedylan

Assuming you mean is it worse to be raped or to be killed, I'd have to say it's much worse to be killed (without wishing to trivialise rape).

On the Ched Evans thing, I don't think it's completely clear cut. Obviously what he was convicted of doing was beyond awful, but once he's served a prison sentence, in theory at least, shouldn't he be entitled to take up whatever job he can get (including football, given that that's where his abilities are)? I know rape is a very emotive subject, and I'm not getting into the rights and wrongs of his sentence and whether we punish it severely enough. There are occasions in life where people do really bad things, and change completely afterwards. But is that already too late, once they've done the thing they've done?

(Just to clarify I'm not defending rape or Ched Evans' actions under any circumstances. I'm just talking about the wider issue of rehabilitation).
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 05:51:02 PM by Bluedylan »
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

October 09, 2014, 06:00:52 PM
Reply #4

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
I think the grief is that he will be entering a position of a role model for youngsters. He's a goal scorer so will be looked up to by young fans of the game more than other players in whatever team he plays for. I imagine my mum would be gutted if a 11 yr old bob was throwing a tantrum because she wouldn't let me have Evans on the back if my shirt.

October 09, 2014, 06:02:59 PM
Reply #5

Bluedylan

I think the grief is that he will be entering a position of a role model for youngsters. He's a goal scorer so will be looked up to by young fans of the game more than other players in whatever team he plays for. I imagine my mum would be gutted if a 11 yr old bob was throwing a tantrum because she wouldn't let me have Evans on the back if my shirt.

Yep, fair point. The public eye/role model element of being a footballer is a crucial difference.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

October 09, 2014, 06:34:39 PM
Reply #6

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber

Yep, fair point. The public eye/role model element of being a footballer is a crucial difference.

Yeah I thought if mention it as I was pretty much coming to the conclusion you were and was putting it down to people being unhappy a rapist could be earning X and being famous. Then for some reason I went to the buying a shirt analogy and then called it a day because that's just about as rational as I can be in one sitting.

October 09, 2014, 06:47:17 PM
Reply #7

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Wasnt very clear obvious there was I

Didnt they let Lee Hughes play again despite him causing someones death?
Simply simply lovely

October 09, 2014, 06:55:40 PM
Reply #8

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber

I see. Yeah, they did. As far as I can remember, supporters weren't happy about that either.

I think the difference is that what Evans did is still seen by a lot of people as simply being "a bit of a lad". And by all means he should be allowed to have a job, but any job? There are plenty of jobs that are restricted to people who haven't been convicted of certain crimes: teacher, lawyer, even probably bus driver.

October 09, 2014, 07:14:49 PM
Reply #9

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
I see. Yeah, they did. As far as I can remember, supporters weren't happy about that either.

I think the difference is that what Evans did is still seen by a lot of people as simply being "a bit of a lad". And by all means he should be allowed to have a job, but any job? There are plenty of jobs that are restricted to people who haven't been convicted of certain crimes: teacher, lawyer, even probably bus driver.

I agree with everything thats being said, its genuinely no surprise to see them stick up for him tho, they have previous and have set precedence to some level with Hughes!
Simply simply lovely

October 09, 2014, 07:23:33 PM
Reply #10

Toddacelli

It's quite clear to me.

He did the crime. He served the time. No-one should interfere with his right to earn a living - after all, he may be thoroughly repentant.

Now it's down to who wants to employ the scummy little weasel. I hope the only job he gets is as a mop-boy in some seedy wank-pit cinema where he is regularly subjected to flying STD's.

Just because he has finished his pathetically short sentence (think about that girl living with it every single day of her life and how it could affect all future relationships including how she see's herself), doesn't mean anyone would want to employ him.

The other thing that really gets me about this article is "football would seize the chance to send a strong message condemning sexual violence against women" & "They need to send a strong message that rape and sexual violence - and violence against women and girls more broadly - will not be tolerated within football."

Is it just me being over-sensitive or is this like when Thatcher implied that all football fans were uneducated, beer-swilling, wife-beating hooligans?

They are quick to jump on football supporters as the everyman, the lowest rung of society, the beer-bellied, unemployed dregs where all of societies problems lie. How can this be at all true with ticket prices what they are today?

And correct me if I'm wrong but the recent institutionalised abuse stories have featured politicians, police and members of the middle-to-upper classes.

Maybe they should ask Golf or fucking Polo to send out a strong fucking message.

Pricks.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

October 09, 2014, 09:11:34 PM
Reply #11

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber

I think either his comeback game or his first game against a big club since his release was against us.

October 09, 2014, 09:22:30 PM
Reply #12

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
I think either his comeback game or his first game against a big club since his release was against us.

Oldham in the FA cup I think
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

October 09, 2014, 11:57:12 PM
Reply #13

macko

Let's face it. If he was an ordinary worker,rather than a pro footballer,He'd be looking at a lifetime of unemployment now.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 11:57:46 PM by macko »
We shall not be moved!

October 10, 2014, 12:37:21 AM
Reply #14

blob

what difference does the job make?

a bus driver killed a friend of mine, after he'd tried to rape her.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1468499/Bus-driver-killed-girl-who-refused-him-sex.html

the bastard has now been released.