0 (0%)
McGeady
0 (0%)
Lukaku
21 (36.8%)
Mirallas (Sub)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: Everton v Manchester City  (Read 21398 times)

January 07, 2015, 07:06:14 AM
Read 21398 times

Shogun

Administrator

Everton FC v Manchester City
Goodison Park
Saturday 10th January 15:00
Premier League Match #21

Everton - Last 5 domestic matches

Southampton 3-0 Everton
Everton 0-1 Stoke City
Newcastle 3-2 Everton (Kone, Mirallas)
Hull City 2-0 Everton
Everton 1-1 West Ham - FA Cup (Lukaku)

Manchester City - Last 5 domestic matches

Man City 3-0 Crystal Palace (Silva x2, Toure)
West Brom 1-3 Man City (Fernando, Toure Pen, Silva)
Man City 2-2 Burnley (Silva, Fernandinho)
Man City 3-2 Sunderland (Toure, Jovetic, Lampard)
Man City 2-1 Sheffield Wednesday - FA Cup (Milner x2)

Everton

Although Everton will have gained confidence from a late FA Cup equalizer against West Ham on Tuesday night, they go into this match bottom of the Premier League form table with just three points from their last six matches, including five defeats. Only Newcastle (14) have conceded more goals during this period than Everton (11) and only Crystal Palace (2) and Aston Villa (3) have found the net fewer times than the Toffees (5). Everton are on a run of 10 league matches without a clean sheet which is the longest in the league ahead of Newcastle ( 8 ) with their last one coming in a 0-0 draw at home to Swansea over two months ago. Romelu Lukaku scored in both fixtures against Man City last season.

To say that Roberto Martinez doesn't have a strong record against Manchester City is probably an understatement having taken just one point from a possible 33 against the Manchester side in his Premier League career, though he probably takes some solace in winning the most important match that was the FA Cup final with Wigan, not that it means much ahead of this weekend. Man City kept seven clean sheets in a row in the Premier League against Martinez's Wigan but that trend didn't continue conceding three goals to Everton in last season fixtures, despite still winning both. Everton haven't lost four league matches in a row against Manchester City since 1970-72.

Possible Line ups

Manchester City

Manchester City prevented a replay with Sheffield Wednesday in the FA Cup thanks to a last minute James Milner goal. Man City are currently on a run of 11 matches without defeat in the league taking 29 points from a possible 33 during that period, although they did throw away 2-0 leads in each of their last two matches but managed to win 3-2 against Sunderland last time out after previously drawing 2-2 with Burnley. Sergio Aguero is likely to be absent from this match after picking up an injury in the reverse fixture whilst Yaya Toure is now on international duty with the Ivory Coast. Manchester City have scored in each of their last 17 league matches stretching back to the end of August when they suffered a 1-0 defeat at home to Stoke City.

Manchester City will be without Yaya Toure who is on international duty due to the African Cup of Nations whilst top scorer Sergio Aguero is unlikely to be fit. Both of these players account for 21 of Manchester City's 44 Premier League goals scored. Manchester City's next top scorer is David Silva who has scored five goals in his last six Premier League appearances. The Spaniard's individual stats don't particularly stand out but only Frank Lampard (73%) can top his percentage of shots on target (65%) and only Jesus Navas (39) and Samir Nasri (34) have produced more 'key passes' (31) in the Manchester City set up.

Statistics & Injuries

I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

January 07, 2015, 07:33:25 AM
Reply #1

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Think we'll win this.

January 07, 2015, 08:00:51 AM
Reply #2

Shogun

Administrator
Does it seem strange that this isn't on TV?

Seems like it's always been televised in the last few seasons.

January 07, 2015, 08:58:52 AM
Reply #3

Thornton_19

Knowing the way football works. Comparing the form both teams are in there is no way we'll lose this.

January 07, 2015, 03:04:07 PM
Reply #4

Rhys

Impossible to predict his line ups but hopefully stones in for distin regardless of if distin is ok or ot. If McCarthy is ok then I'd put him in for besic and obviously if Baines is ok then back in for Oviedo. Aside from that I'd keep the rest that started the same.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 03:04:54 PM by Rhys »

January 07, 2015, 03:06:51 PM
Reply #5

bacon sarnie

Give Barry a rest. Oviedo & Besic must play.

Win 3-0 if so.

January 07, 2015, 06:24:58 PM
Reply #6

itsmyprtyanimromelulukaku

Give Barry a rest. Oviedo & Besic must play.

Win 3-0 if so.

I think we will come out flying go 3 -0 up at half time and win this 4-2
"A relegation battle doesn't start until about ten games to go and by then we won't be anyway near it" Ross 14.01.15 i fuckin hope so lad

January 07, 2015, 06:26:19 PM
Reply #7

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Drop Barry for McCarthy if fit.

Baines in for Garbutt.

Barkley central. Mirallas left. Rom right, with Naismith up front. Change if not working.
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

January 07, 2015, 08:11:19 PM
Reply #8

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Would like to see one of Barkley or Naismith dropped so Oviedo can play on the left but don't think it will happen.

January 07, 2015, 08:26:08 PM
Reply #9

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Id go with that side unless Mccarthy is fit and by fit I mean actually fit and not his hammy may go 5 mins in fit

Simply simply lovely

January 07, 2015, 08:29:12 PM
Reply #10

Cozzie

Just as long as Barkley plays centrally.

Annoyed that he once again started out on the left against West ham, he showed every time he cut inside, beat the midfielder and accelerated away that he does all his best stuff through the middle up top.

He is going to be vital to our play this game as well, played great in the 3-2 loss last season, with a great goal and I'm sure it was him who burst out from our box and set up Naismith delightfully who almost scored, think it was right at the beginning of the second half.

That is where he needs to be, his performances have been frustrating this season but its not entirely his fault, he is being wasted out left and we are not seeing his full potential.

A win in this is not beyond us but I still just can't see it, maybe if we get the early goal and get the atmosphere going and turn it into fortress Goodison then maybe.

Wins in games like these are usually turning points in seasons, but I'd take a draw if offered now, just to stop the slide in the league.

January 07, 2015, 09:01:13 PM
Reply #11

American Evertonian

I think we will come out flying go 3 -0 up at half time and win this 4-2

I think we will come out flying and go up 3-0 only to somehow manage to lose 4-2. The refs will just decide to tell us to fuck off this year.
A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are for.

January 07, 2015, 09:51:46 PM
Reply #12

edbootle

Win 1-0. Barkley. That is if he plays central.:badum: :police:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 09:54:21 PM by edbootle »
:cheers:

January 07, 2015, 10:40:34 PM
Reply #13

Django

NSNO Subscriber
Just hope the team and the crowd take some confidence from the goal last night, maybe our look is finally turning.

I'd bite your hand off for a point to be honest. But if we start right and have Stones and Jags at the back then I feel like we could win.

They haven't got a fit striker and even with the news of Aguero possibly returning, I can't see him being risked.

Robles
Coleman - Jags - Stones - Baines
          Barry - McCarthy
Mirallas                        Oviedo
                Naismith
                 Lukaku

That would be my team if McCarthy is back. I'd leave Barkley on the bench for this one - he's been too dodgy in possession of late and is wasted on the left. I'd bring him on after 60 for Naismith where he could find more space and impact the game more. Also gone with Barry over Besic as I think he's still a bit too much of a loose cannon to be risked in the more high intensity games - an early booking and you basically have to take him off at half time.

January 07, 2015, 10:45:09 PM
Reply #14

Shogun

Administrator
As I've said in my wonderful OP which no one has liked yet *cough* unappreciative, up yourselves, closet Kopite wankers! *cough* that Toure and Aguero account for almost half their goals this season so if there's a time to play them then this is it.