November 14, 2018, 04:54:36 PM

Author Topic: "Always the victims"  (Read 10535 times)

February 02, 2015, 03:53:26 PM
Read 10535 times

Eddie

NSNO Subscriber
Came across this yesterday on twitter which was posted on 'westhamtillidie.com':

Yesterday’s performance at Liverpool was dismal, but the performance of some of our fans was even worse. I was shocked at the levels of racist chanting before the match in the bar beneath away supporters stand and was equally appalled at the baiting of Liverpool fans over the Hillsborough and Heysel disasters. To top it all off I witnessed one of our fans calling Joey O’Brien a square head and urging him to xxxx off back to potato land.

Now I like football banter as much as any fan, but the anti Tottenham song about foreskins ending with xxxxing Jew is not banter – it’s racist. This song was sung by around a 100 fans in the bar before the match and came in the same week as the 70th anniversary of the liberation of Aushwitz and Holocaust Remembrance Day.

Whilst I don’t think that every fan who sings this song is a Nazi, I do think every fan should consider the hatred expressed in this song is in danger of legitimising the anti semitic Nazi ideology that led to the systematic murder of over 6 million innocent men, women and children simply for being Jewish.

Moreover, the baiting of Liverpool fans about the Hillsborough and Heysel disasters is equally disgusting. The song “always the victim” disdains the memory of the 96 innocent Liverpool fans who died at Hillsborough and the 39 Juventus fans who died at Heysel. These disasters could have happened to any football fans as the deaths at Ibrox and Bradford amply show. Blaming fans for negligent policing decisions and crumbling dangerous stadia lets the authorities off the hook and protects the people who are really responsible.

I was proud as a West Ham fan to visit the Justice for the 96 campaign shop opposite Anfield with my son before the game yesterday. There we paid our respects to the dead and the bereaved. We also talked to Steve who is an Evertonian who lost his brother at Hillsborough. Nothing can bring his brother back, but the relentless campaign for the truth supported by fans in Liverpool and beyond has established the innocence of the fans on that day and also nailed the attempted cover up of the establishment and the police. Justice is coming but only as a result of the efforts of the JFT96 campaign and the solidarity shown by many others.

It is in this tradition of solidarity that we should all seek to stand. Banter is fun, bigotry is not.

Neale Williams

I felt compelled to explain to the tweeters that the song has no reference to hillsbrough or it wouldn't be sung at goodison, you can imagine the reaction.  The issue is something that really boils my piss as it seems some people are desperate to interpret it that way, as we seen with BWS on here. Equally as alarming is how heysel and hillsbrough have started to be mentioned in the same sentence...as in if you're mentioning one it somehow relates to the other.

Now I'm certainly not using heysel as a stick to beat anyone with but I've found it's been twisted by some liverpool fans to make them look like innocent bystanders and in some cases victims in relation to the incident. The fact anyone would even connect the two from a liverpool point of view is quite shocking.
I'll assume you have been drinking... I live in Monterrey Mexico numb nuts

February 02, 2015, 06:49:38 PM
Reply #1

Simon Paul

Administrator
Sickening that they combine the two. And even more sickening that there is now a generation who see no difference between the two incidents.

Heysel was caused by hooligans. Hillsborough was caused by the police and a lack of regard for human safety.

It's not a difficult distinction to make

February 02, 2015, 07:09:26 PM
Reply #2

Eddie

NSNO Subscriber
Sickening that they combine the two. And even more sickening that there is now a generation who see no difference between the two incidents.

Heysel was caused by hooligans. Hillsborough was caused by the police and a lack of regard for human safety.

It's not a difficult distinction to make

Exactly Si. The individual above is grossly misinformed of the incident at heysel if he thinks the cause was "crumbling stadia". Same goes for a lot of blues who think liverpool fans 'pushed a wall'. Deaths were caused by the crush of fans running away from liverpool fans...the wall they were crushed against eventually collapsed relieving pressure if anything.

Refusing to accept culpability for heysel and tying that incident in with hillsbrough is an injustice to the 96. At the risk of sounding crass it's amazing how they've fought for the truth for so long (rightly so) for hillsbrough yet refuse to accept any blame as well alter the true corse of events to suit them regarding heysel...much like South Yorkshire police did.

February 02, 2015, 10:53:29 PM
Reply #3

bacon sarnie

Not their fault. They have an excellent PR machine. Pride of Merseyside you know!

February 03, 2015, 03:57:02 AM
Reply #4

macko

The trouble is they always twist the always the victims song as a dig at Hillsborough,and always will.so it's probably best if it just got stopped being sung.
We shall not be moved!

February 03, 2015, 04:01:02 AM
Reply #5

Eddie

NSNO Subscriber
The trouble is they always twist the always the victims song as a dig at Hillsborough,and always will.so it's probably best if it just got stopped being sung.

Nah fuck them the self pitying twats. No dramas singing about Munich for years. They're living upto the song by twisting it that way ironically.

February 03, 2015, 04:01:16 AM
Reply #6

Major Clanger

This is fucking bang out of order, I'm not having that!
I didn't even remember I had a signature.

February 03, 2015, 04:03:01 AM
Reply #7

Eddie

NSNO Subscriber
This is fucking bang out of order, I'm not having that!

The article or the comments?

February 03, 2015, 04:05:36 AM
Reply #8

Major Clanger

Nah, neither. I just quoted the "if a kopite was the commentator"* guy for comic effect. And failed. :)

*Come to think about it, why the "if", commentators ARE usually kopites.
I didn't even remember I had a signature.

February 03, 2015, 04:05:58 AM
Reply #9

Gash

Global Moderator

The deluded commentator on YNFA. ;)

February 03, 2015, 04:06:47 AM
Reply #10

Gash

Global Moderator
I remember BWS having a bit of a meltdown trying to see it was used to get at them about Hillsborough.

February 03, 2015, 04:07:21 AM
Reply #11

Eddie

NSNO Subscriber
Ha I'm with ya...whoosh.

February 03, 2015, 04:11:43 AM
Reply #12

Eddie

NSNO Subscriber
I remember BWS having a bit of a meltdown trying to see it was used to get at them about Hillsborough.

Yeah it ultimately lead to his ban didn't it? Honestly mate the few decent reds I know realise it's not hillsbrough related and can be linked to numerous incidents over the years. Unfortunately the majority of them seem hell bent on tying it to hillsbrough, especially since the findings a couple of years ago. They are desperate for the world to be against them it seems.

February 03, 2015, 04:14:23 AM
Reply #13

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Was saying to my mates in work today about Saturday and it will only take one verse of always the victims for the mood to turn sour. They all assumed it was about hillsboro and asked why we do we sing it when we support the cause...... fucking riles me no end
Simply simply lovely

February 03, 2015, 04:18:40 AM
Reply #14

Eddie

NSNO Subscriber
Was saying to my mates in work today about Saturday and it will only take one verse of always the victims for the mood to turn sour. They all assumed it was about hillsboro and asked why we do we sing it when we support the cause...... fucking riles me no end

Yet it's stupid cunts like that who'd be the first to vilify blues. Goodison will be nasty on Saturday i reckon.