1 (1.4%)
2005 - Goal v Man United at Goodison
34 (49.3%)
2005 - Final Goal v West Brom at Goodison
0 (0%)
Other
1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Author Topic: Everton v Villarreal  (Read 43555 times)

August 02, 2015, 11:10:44 PM
Read 43555 times

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
I looked at our team and thought blimey, is it 2004 already?
I didn't even remember I had a signature.

August 02, 2015, 11:17:21 PM
Reply #1

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
He carries the bibs balls and cones and is not allowed to shout instructions from the bench.  He has no experience at all and had a terrible attitude as a player.

So now we know what it takes to become a good manager: the magical ability to shout instructions from the bench and a good attitude as a player.

August 02, 2015, 11:30:04 PM
Reply #2

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
Am I suffering from sunstroke or has this thread gone completely mad?

August 02, 2015, 11:53:36 PM
Reply #3

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
Both of you are talking out of your respective arses. (Which admittedly is better than talking out of each other's arse. That's proper weird. Don't do that.)

Of course Ferguson is unlikely to turn out to be a good manager, but not because of what he was like as a player or whether he's allowed to shout bollocks from the bench, that's ridiculous. The reason he's unlikely to be a good manager is simply that very few people are.

But unfortunately there is absolutely no reliable indicator of who has what it takes, if there was, do you think Roy Keane would've been given so many chances? Or one, for that matter. Lobanovskiy was a flamboyant and uncontrollable player with a terrible attitude. He ended up becoming one of the best managers of his generation, and one of the strictest disciplinarians too, even going as far as pioneering computer modelling of football. Who would've thought it? Nobody.

Then you have Garry Monk who had done virtually no coaching in his life, he went straight from being a player to being a Premier League manager and he doesn't seem to be fazed by it much. We could also list lots of good coaches who proved to be hapless managers. (Terry Connor, anyone?) So coaching experience isn't a good indicator either.

Maybe there's something in the personality, but again, personality is incredibly difficult to judge, and of course people can change immensely when they're under pressure: some will become stronger, others will crumble.

So yeah, Ferguson probably won't be Everton's next great manager, but only because of numbers.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 11:54:22 PM by Major Clanger »

August 03, 2015, 05:06:12 AM
Reply #4

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
There is no smooth transition from coaching to management. Some people just naturally take to management, others don't. You still need to gain experience in management to become a truly brilliant one but you can only do that on the job, you can't convert X years of coaching into Y management years.