0 (0%)
Kone (Sub)
35 (57.4%)
Oviedo (Sub)
0 (0%)
Naismith (Sub)
1 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: Everton v Watford  (Read 56894 times)

August 05, 2015, 08:42:17 AM
Read 56894 times

Shogun

Administrator

Everton FC v Watford FC
Goodison Park
Saturday 8th August 15:00
Premier League Match 1

Everton Pre-season:

Swindon 0-4 Everton (Mirallas x2, Lukaku, McAleny)
Everton *0-0 Stoke City (5-4 Pens)
Everton 1-3 Arsenal (Barkley)
Hearts 1-3 Everton (Lukaku, Lukaku Pen x2)
Dundee 0-2 Everton (McAleny, Barkley Pen)
Leeds United 2-0 Everton
Everton 1-2 Villarreal (Browning)

Watford Pre-season:

St Albans City 0-4 Watford (Ighalo x2, Deeney, Smith)
AFC Wimbledon 2-2 Watford (Ighalo, Forestieri)
SC Verl 1-4 Watford (Ighalo x2, Anya, Dyer)
Paderborn 0-2 Watford (Vydra, Ighalo)
Dundee United 0-1 Watford (Deeney)
Cardiff 2-1 Watford (Deeney)
Watford 0-1 Sevilla

Everton

Whether it be another season of perpetual torture or an Everton reemergence, the 2015/16 Premier League season is just a matter of days away and no doubt all eyes will be on Man United v Tottenham Everton v Watford come Saturday. It's not been a busy Summer for Everton who brought in Gerard Deulofeu and Tom Cleverley early in the window and are yet to sell anyone, despite John Stones and Arouna Kone's high demand. For the second season in succession, Everton face a newly promoted side in their first fixture after drawing 2-2 to Leicester on the opening day, last season. Everton have a pretty wretched opening day record over the last 11 seasons (3 wins, 2 draws & 5 defeats) and that's without taking into account the home defeat to QPR following the postponement of Tottenham away a few season ago. The Toffees' last meeting against Watford at Goodison Park came on the opening day of the 2006-07 season in which the home side won 2-1, infamous for a pretty woeful penalty decision in favour of Everton.

The upcoming season will be important for a lot of Everton players after a whole host of underwhelming performances in the previous campaign. Ross Barkley was one of the promising players who under-performed last season, although he wasn't the only one. His season didn't get off to the best of starts with the midfielder picking up a training injury just days before the season began which kept him sidelined for a couple of months and like the rest of the team, not a lot of success followed. Certain stats suggest that his decision making may have improved with a significant hike in the chances created area and he even managed a couple of assists but there's plenty a lot to suggest that Barkley was wary to go at teams during last season as he recorded fewer shots on goal and fewer successful dribbles per90.

Possible Line-Ups

Watford

The upcoming season is Watford's first Premier League campaign for nine seasons and the Hornets haven't actually lost an opening day fixture (Won 5, Drawn 3) since losing to Everton at Goodison Park when they were last in the Premier League. Unusually for a promoted side, Watford go into this season with a new manager after they appointed former Atletico Madrid manager Quique Flores, who won the Europa League i n 09/10 with the Spanish outfit. Slaviska Jokanovic was the last of four managers who played a part in leading Watford to promotion last season but the club couldn't agree personal terms with Flores' predecessor. The Hornets won more matches in the championship than any other side last season but were held to a draw on the final day which prevented them from taking the title and thus having to settle for second place.

Watford have certainly had a busy summer after signing what could be a whole new XI into their squad. A big part of Watford's promotion last season came from their attacking options as Troy Deeney and Odion Ighalo both hit 20 Championship goals and Matej Vydra notched 16 league goals which is why they've bought the latter from Udinese. Perhaps surprisingly, Watford have saved Etienne Capoue from the midfield graveyard that is Tottenham Hotspur with a club record transfer fee and have also signed former West Ham midfielder Valon Behrami to make up their midfield duo. Miguel Britos has also joined the club but our Napoli correspondent on the forum informs us he's not very good.

Stats

If you're not angry, you're not listening.

August 05, 2015, 09:10:48 AM
Reply #1

pjk

NSNO Subscriber
If we draw this first one or lose? Sack Roberto's staff.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 11:59:39 PM by pjk »
As Tacitus said: "To plunder, butcher, steal, these things they misname empire: they make a desolation and they call it peace."

August 05, 2015, 09:20:15 AM
Reply #2

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber

August 05, 2015, 10:37:20 AM
Reply #3

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
I will cry if it's barry and McCarthy again.
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lá Everton!

August 05, 2015, 11:04:45 AM
Reply #4

GrantyBoy78

Almost guaranteed

August 05, 2015, 12:03:49 PM
Reply #5

TSGun

It's always difficult to analyse the first game with so many unknowns. Watford, of course, will be totally pumped and bring a fearless element but we more than match them for quality.

As long as we show the desire and self belief for 90 mins we should produce a favourable result.
Nothing ever happens, nothing happens at all. The needle returns to the start of the song and we all sing along like before.

August 05, 2015, 12:53:40 PM
Reply #6

Cassius

NSNO Subscriber
About time Shogs.

But great work as usual.

Regardess of their new boys settling in, I think this will be tough for us. New players and a new manager and an expectation thst we will be underestimating them means they'll be pumped.

However the result will boil down to what Everton turns up on the day. Excited but nervous.

August 05, 2015, 01:52:25 PM
Reply #7

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Better get plenty of tissues in then
Simply simply lovely

August 05, 2015, 02:01:45 PM
Reply #8

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
With the tough fixtures comeing up after this, this match has that sort of must win feeling that you normally only get later in the season.

I think because of this and last year's struggles the atmosphere is going to be a bit weird for an opening game.

You normally hope that there is a good amount of leeway in terms of mistakes made in the first couple of weeks of a new season.

However I can't see there being anything other than a pretty critical eye being cast.

August 05, 2015, 02:02:13 PM
Reply #9

Macca77

Ooh excited now, coyb

August 05, 2015, 02:38:53 PM
Reply #10

Rhys

With the tough fixtures comeing up after this, this match has that sort of must win feeling that you normally only get later in the season.

I think because of this and last year's struggles the atmosphere is going to be a bit weird for an opening game.

You normally hope that there is a good amount of leeway in terms of mistakes made in the first couple of weeks of a new season.

However I can't see there being anything other than a pretty critical eye being cast.

Yes if it's Barry and McCarthy in the middle with Barkley and Naismith out wide that will wind people up, even if no alternatives! And then if drawing or losing, not looking like scoring and we end up taking a short corner/free kick and ends up back with Howard the place will go into meltdown unusually so for a first game.

Sadly all or most of that scenario seems fairly likely right now!

August 05, 2015, 02:55:27 PM
Reply #11

Paddockoldie

And so it begins... This is a must win game if you look at what follows. Still no signings to kick off with barring Cleverly who i think will do a good job for us. Fingers crossed Rom doesn't get a knock.. a draw i think.

August 05, 2015, 03:25:32 PM
Reply #12

School of Science

Feel Barry should only be used off the bench now to shore things up, Barkley, Cleverley and Besic should precede him. One thing I find worrying Nomadski has not done his prediction league, is this tactical ? Is he going to put it out last minute so everyone else misses it and he gets a lead ?  :whistle: The league doesn't start until we have the prediction league, no dirty tricks pal  ;D
Everton premier league champions 2014 / 15

August 05, 2015, 04:04:47 PM
Reply #13

Gash

Global Moderator
Can't wait, Lower Bullens, view like a letter box, Saturday 3pm kick off just like football should be. :)

August 05, 2015, 04:25:40 PM
Reply #14

The Analog Kid

Fuck it, couple of pre-match pints and it'll be hunky dory.