0 (0%)
Lukaku
25 (50%)
Kone (Sub)
2 (4%)
Deulofeu (Sub)
3 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: Everton v Manchester United  (Read 24548 times)

October 15, 2015, 03:56:18 AM
Read 24548 times

Shogun

Administrator

Everton FC v Manchester United
Goodison Park
Saturday 17th October 15:00
Premier League Match 9

Everton's last 5 matches

Everton 3-1 Chelsea (Naismith x3)
Swansea 0-0 Everton
Reading 1-2 Everton - Capital One Cup (Barkley, Deulofeu)
West Brom 2-3 Everton (Lukaku x2, Kone)
Everton 1-1 Liverpool (Lukaku)

Manchester United's last 5 matches

Southampton 2-3 Manchester United (Martial x2, Mata)
Manchester United 3-0 Ipswich - Capital One Cup (Rooney, Pereira, Martial)
Manchester United 3-0 Sunderland (Depay, Rooney, Mata)
Manchester United 2-1 Wolfsburg - Champions League (Mata Pen, Smalling)
Arsenal 3-0 Manchester United

Everton

Everton recorded their fourth draw of the premier league campaign in the Merseyside derby before the International break with the match ended with a goal each. Everton have won this fixture in each of the last three seasons without conceding a goal which is a stark contrast to the past as they had won just three of the previous 20 matches against Manchester United at Goodison Park prior to the current run. Everton were the last top flight team to win four home matches in a row against the Red Devils (1984-87) whilst the last team to win four matches in a row with four consecutive clean sheets was West Brom (1976-79). Gareth Barry is likely to make his 550th Premier League appearance in this match which will leave him 21 appearances behind the all time appearance leader David Whopper James.

Prior to joining Everton, Roberto Martinez had an abysmal record against Manchester United and conceded 29 goals in just seven of their  eight matches and taking just 3 points from a possible 24. However, Everton have won three of the four fixtures since Martinez joined and those nine points are the second most any Everton manager has taken from Manchester United in the premier league (Kendall - 3/15 points, Walker - 0/6 points, Royle - 4/15 points, Smith- 1/24 points, Moyes - 16/66 points). Interestingly, only one of the 12 fixtures has seen both sides score a goal (one for the gamblers). Everton have scored from a set piece in each of the three consecutive victories against Man United at Goodison Park but are the only premier league side yet to score from one this season.

Possible Line-Ups

Manchester United

Manchester United came crashing back down to Earth as they were thumped 3-0 by Arsenal last week, Arsenal! even Moyes didn't lose to Arsenal with them. Manchester United's away from under Van Gaal is quite poor and he's only won 8/23 league matches away from home whilst Moyes had a record of 10/18 victories on the road, though Man United have improved a lot at Old Trafford. Bastian Schweinsteiger is a doubt for the game but that could turn out to be a blessing in disguise as they've won all four league matches in which the German world cup winner hasn't started and failed to win in three of the four matches he has started. Wayne Rooney hasn't scored in any of his last six appearances at Goodison Park with his last goal in this fixture coming in 2007.

John Stones is likely to return from injury in time for this fixture and he scored his only Everton goal in the 3-0 victory at Goodison Park last season. Chris Smalling is (wrongly) seen as England's best centre back which means the performances of both players will be a subplot on Sunday. The stats above aren't much of a surprise with Stones better with the ball at his feet and showing greater anticipation than Smalling who excels aerially with his slight height advantage. We all know Phil Jones is the real England star though.

Statistics & Injuries

I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

October 15, 2015, 04:23:13 AM
Reply #1

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
good to have the Blues back this weekend. Expecting a win which has been strange thinking that the past two years.
I have to return some videotapes.

October 15, 2015, 04:25:43 AM
Reply #2

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Difficult game, a draw be decent

Simply simply lovely

October 15, 2015, 04:43:28 AM
Reply #3

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
We're Utds bogey team now. 3-1 to us.
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

October 15, 2015, 04:49:57 AM
Reply #4

Zoolander

Can't believe this isn't on the box this weekend.
Tough game but we can win this

October 15, 2015, 05:00:07 AM
Reply #5

Gash

Global Moderator
Can't believe this isn't on the box this weekend.
Tough game but we can win this

Strange considering there's only one game on on Sunday. Spoke to a Utd fan and he'd heard that it was due to BT already having Spurs v Liverpool on Saturday lunchtime and Utd are away in the CL on Wednesday night so didn't get the tea time kick off on Saturday, not that away to Everton would mean a dead late night in Saturday. Not sure how much truth is in that though?

October 15, 2015, 05:18:52 AM
Reply #6

Bluedylan

Be gutted with anything less than a win. Don't rate them, don't think their manager has done a good job at all since he joined, and think their position in the table is a false one. They've got a harder run of games now, and I think they'll drop down the table.

Cracking infographic, Shogs.

I'd start Deulofeu above Lennon, personally. Utd haven't got a proper LB, and I could see him terrifying Rojo/Young/Blind (whoever gets the nod).

I would bring Kev back in though. He's played well against them, likes the big stage and must be itching to put a performance in after what happened last time out.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

October 15, 2015, 06:50:46 AM
Reply #7

kramer0

I can't say I share the same confidence as others. United aren't what they once were and Van Gaal has done anything particularly brilliant with this group but Rooney, Mata, and now Depay and Martial can all win a match with a moment of class.

If we play well, they're there for the taking. Still, we need to be wary of them setting up to stifle us (a strategy they used often against top of the table teams last season) and looking to win with some piece of individual brilliance. I'd say a draw looks the most likely outcome although I'd love to be proven wrong (obviously).

October 15, 2015, 08:35:29 AM
Reply #8

Evertonian in NC

I think we can really pick them apart if we get the first goal and press the advantage.  Feeling REALLY confident, especially if Seamus is fit.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

October 15, 2015, 12:56:55 PM
Reply #9

indiantoffee1975

Why hasn't this fixture moved to a different time on police grounds?

October 15, 2015, 01:31:37 PM
Reply #10

Rhys

Strange considering there's only one game on on Sunday. Spoke to a Utd fan and he'd heard that it was due to BT already having Spurs v Liverpool on Saturday lunchtime and Utd are away in the CL on Wednesday night so didn't get the tea time kick off on Saturday, not that away to Everton would mean a dead late night in Saturday. Not sure how much truth is in that though?

Also a possibility the police didnt want a Saturday evening kick off, don't think there has been a Saturday home 5.30 game against them since the battle of everton valley?

October 15, 2015, 02:28:43 PM
Reply #11

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
Great stuff @Shogun

I feel strangely confident for this game which means we will almost certainly be beaten so I apologise in advance

Mirallas tends to do quite well against these, could imagine him returning with a goal
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

October 15, 2015, 06:15:34 PM
Reply #12

Bluedylan

Just listened to RM's pre-match press conference, and not convinced Stones will make it from his answers.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

October 15, 2015, 06:28:24 PM
Reply #13

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Just listened to RM's pre-match press conference, and not convinced Stones will make it from his answers.
What did he say pal? Not heard or read owt yet

Simply simply lovely

October 15, 2015, 06:42:53 PM
Reply #14

Everton Mint

More from Everton boss Roberto Martinez, who says full-back Leighton Baines is not far away from a return to full fitness.

He says: "Leighton is not far off at all. We had a very good two weeks work and he is ready to rejoin the group. I'd say two weeks more." 

He adds that John Stones will train with the squad and a decision will be made on whether to select him for the Manchester United game.

Full info: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-fc-news-transfer-rumours-10257085
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 06:46:03 PM by Everton Mint »