4 (4.8%)
Galloway (Sub)
0 (0%)
Mirallas (Sub)
0 (0%)
Osman (Sub)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Author Topic: Everton v Sunderland  (Read 36004 times)

October 31, 2015, 10:05:01 AM
Reply #15

minty

That is a decidedly average looking back 5. We really need our proper full backs back if we want to move up the league. It really makes no sense to be playing 2 holding midfielders if we have Galloway and Browning playing who don't get forward very effectively.

October 31, 2015, 02:23:23 PM
Reply #16

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I'd leave Deulofeu in the team now for a long run of games, and give him the chance to develop and get more consistency the way we did with Ross and Stonesy. He's never going to make the leaps forward that we're hoping for if we keep chopping and changing him.

I think we have to accept that he'll have off days, as with did with other talented young players. Giving him that confidence and support will reap benefits for us in the near future.

He looks to be developing a good relationship with Lukaku.

If that flourishes we'll score goals no matter how dull and ponderous the rest of the play is.

As you say, keep him in.

October 31, 2015, 03:29:17 PM
Reply #17

Trowel

That is a decidedly average looking back 5. We really need our proper full backs back if we want to move up the league. It really makes no sense to be playing 2 holding midfielders if we have Galloway and Browning playing who don't get forward very effectively.
Too soon for this game, but Baines returned to training yesterday \o/
www.footballitk.com | Football news from those In The Know

Latest Everton transfer news

October 31, 2015, 06:10:23 PM
Reply #18

ally2

Hadn't thought of it that way but I would agree. Maybe an effective strategy would be to not ask the full backs to venture too far and drop one of the defensive two midfielders for another attacker/winger. A bit old school but would be interesting (and see a fair amount of re-training no doubt). Perhaps:

Goalkeeper + back 4
McCarthy
Deulefeu-Gibson-Barkley-Mirallas
Lukaku

October 31, 2015, 06:26:41 PM
Reply #19

GrantyBoy78

Their actually looks better on paper than I though it would. I'd start Kev and Gerry and have them that their Championship standard full-backs.

October 31, 2015, 08:28:43 PM
Reply #20

Evertonian in NC

Good shouts re Deulofeu.  ESPECIALLY with Cleverley coming back.  I really want to see if there's any magic to be had with the foursome of Rom/Ross/Clev/Deulofeu on the pitch together.  And I want to see them attack defenses from the jump, not scamper from behind the last 30 minutes (which does not play to Barkley and Cleverley's strengths, in my opinion).
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

October 31, 2015, 09:30:21 PM
Reply #21

cantoffee

Think we've got to  go 4-1-4-1 and have Barry sit in front of the back four to provide extra support against the long-ball and play more side-to-side as opposed to box-to-box. Have McCarthy and Barkley play beside each other to provide more late runs.

Mirallas should start on the left. He provides the support coming off the left for Lukaku that we are sorely lacking at the moment, keep Deulofeu on the right.

It would be a bit ambitious, but we have essentially four centerbacks and Barry and Barkley should have no problem linking defence and attack, with McCarthy providing the box-to-box running.

I consider this a must-win. I fucking hate playing Allardyce teams though and Sunderland have deserved to go down for years so hopefully we can help them on their way.

October 31, 2015, 09:34:45 PM
Reply #22

Evertonian in NC

At least we aren't playing the Black Cats on Halloween.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

October 31, 2015, 09:49:07 PM
Reply #23

Simon Paul

Administrator

October 31, 2015, 09:52:23 PM
Reply #24

Rhys

Would hope Mirallas started this. Maybe Mirallas & Lennon in the side, rest Deulofeu a bit, bringing him on with 20/30 mins to go. I think he does better this way. If we dont use him, then he does little else.

Deulofeu has to play for me. Given we won't get much or anything from browning going forward and Lennon doesn't seem to be the player he used to be years ago at getting to the line and putting mixed level of crosses in so we need to have someone out there who doesn't need support from a full back to operate. Deulo will hold his position and attack the full back.

Plus as @Bluedylan says he just needs to be given consistent chances now. When he is on the pitch, even in his worst games, there is a chance he can do something so for me I'd give him freedom to play how he wants, let him have the confidence the fans manager love him and even though he can be frustrating just let him play and develop into a really good winger we know he could become.

October 31, 2015, 10:22:11 PM
Reply #25

ally2

Thought Barry was suspended

October 31, 2015, 11:11:40 PM
Reply #26

Big Nev

NSNO Subscriber
Thought Barry was suspended

He is if it was a straight red......someone will enlighten us soon.
Rotterdam \'85
I was there!!!

October 31, 2015, 11:12:50 PM
Reply #27

Shogun

Administrator
It was two yellows, served it midweek.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 11:13:01 PM by Shogun »
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

November 01, 2015, 12:59:24 AM
Reply #28

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
watching the 7-1 & 4-1, shit Pienaar really was fucking good. I miss him :(
I have to return some videotapes.

November 01, 2015, 01:43:56 AM
Reply #29

Thomas

I'd like to see Delofeu and Mirallas in the same team. Although Kev was piss poor vs Norwich.