2 (2.3%)
Osman (Sub)
0 (0%)
Mirallas (Sub)
0 (0%)
Kone (Sub)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: Everton v Manchester City  (Read 47394 times)

January 05, 2016, 06:13:20 PM
Read 47394 times

Shogun

Administrator

Everton FC v Manchester City
Goodison Park
Wednesday 6th January 19:45
Capital One Cup Semi Finals 1st Leg

Everton's last 5 matches

Norwich 1-1 Everton (Lukaku)
Everton 2-3 Leicester (Lukaku, Mirallas)
Newcastle 0-1 Everton (Cleverley)
Everton 3-4 Stoke (Lukaku x2, Deulofeu)
Everton 1-1 Tottenham (Lennon)

Man City's last 5 matches

Man City 2-1 Swansea (Bony, Iheanacho)
Arsenal 2-1 Man City (Yaya Toure)
Man City 4-1 Sunderland (Sterling, Yaya Toure, Bony, De Bruyne)
Leicester 0-0 Man City
Watford 1-2 Man City (Yaya Toure, Aguero)

Everton

Everton's 1-1 draw against Tottenham at the weekend means that the Toffees have now gone four matches without a victory at Goodison Park (D2,L2), although they did avoid a third consecutive defeat at home. To be honest, it's so difficult to find cup stats about this competition, especially considering we've competed dreadfully over the years that I'm going to tell you that should Leon Osman score 14 goals in the potentially three remaining fixtures during this competition then he'll become our joint highest league cup goalscorer, equaling Bob Latchford who notched 19 goals in just 28 appearances. No Premier League player under the age of 23 has completed more successful passes than Ross Barkley has completed in the league this season, his 915 successful passes tops the list ahead of Emre Can who has 870. Since making the final in 1984, Everton have made the semi finals of the competition just twice and they lost all four legs (Arsenal 1987/88 & Chelsea 2007/08).

Raheem Sterling became the most expensive Englishman of all time with his 49m move from Liverpool in the summer whilst Everton completely a somewhat complicated deal with Gerard Deulofeu for around 45m less than that. As things stand, the Catalan has been the more productive player in the premier league having contributed directly to two more goals, created a greater number of chances when on the pitch and producing a much improved dribbling success figure.  Sterling is yet to taste defeat against Everton in five appearances against the Toffees but he is also yet to score and only has one assist to his name. Deulofeu has fallen to defeat in all three of his meetings against Man City and is yet to register an assist or goal in the fixture.

Possible Line-Ups

Manchester City

Manchester City managed to comeback from a one goal deposit against Watford in their last match as they turned the match around in the final 15 minutes to take all three points at Vicarage Road. Only Leicester City (23) have managed to score more league goals in the second half of matches than Man City (21) this season, with Everton (16) in third place. However, they have only managed to avoid defeat in two of the seven league matches when they've fallen behind this season. Manchester City have won the league cup three times in their history with the most recent of those successes coming two seasons ago when they beat Sunderland in the final. Previous league cup meetings between both sides ended 2-0 with Everton and Man City winning a match each.

Manchester City's record against sides managed by Roberto Martinez is one of the most ridiculous one sided stats in football with the current Everton manager tasting victory just once, in the famous cup final victory with Wigan in 2013. Man City have managed to keep a total of nine clean sheets against Martinez in just 14 fixtures and they have taken 35 points from a maximum of 39 possible. On a positive note for Evertonians, the four goals of the six goals scored against Man City by a Martinez side has came in the five matches with Everton whilst Martinez's only win did come in a cup competition. On the other hand, Man City have averaged 2 goals against Everton since the manager took over and have won four of the five fixtures.

Statistics & Injuries

I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

January 05, 2016, 07:12:26 PM
Reply #1

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
dreading this, absolutely bricking it. No idea what to expect, just praying we get a win.

Hope we play like we did v Wolfsburg. Hit them on the counter. But we arent good enough defensively to soak up that much pressure so i dont know.

I had a dream we won 4-2 though, by playing counter attacking.
I have to return some videotapes.

January 05, 2016, 07:29:45 PM
Reply #2

Evertonian in NC

This match really is to save our season, isn't it?
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

January 05, 2016, 07:38:29 PM
Reply #3

Thornton_19

If Martinez fails to get us through here, his job has to be up for discussion.

January 05, 2016, 07:51:17 PM
Reply #4

Gash

Global Moderator
This match really is to save our season, isn't it?

No.

If Martinez fails to get us through here, his job has to be up for discussion.

Why, for failing to beat Man City over two legs?

If we play shite and get hammered then fair enough but if the performance is decent and we give them a good battle then that's all we can ask. And it's over two legs, the game is far from over after tomorrow.

Dagenham and Redbridge on Saturday, now that's a different matter.  ;)

January 05, 2016, 07:55:12 PM
Reply #5

Thornton_19

No.

Why, for failing to beat Man City over two legs?

If we play shite and get hammered then fair enough but if the performance is decent and we give them a good battle then that's all we can ask. And it's over two legs, the game is far from over after tomorrow.

Dagenham and Redbridge on Saturday, now that's a different matter.  ;)

No, i believe that with our current league form the only thing that is sort of keeping him afloat with the fans is that we are in a semi final of a cup competition. If that goes away, there are very few reasons to be onside with the man. Personally I don't want him gone, but a cup exit I could see why a lot of fans would.

January 05, 2016, 07:56:39 PM
Reply #6

Bluedylan

I am convinced we'll do them tomorrow. Go at them, and they are soft as fuck at the back. No holding back, Goodison under lights. Don't play with the handbrake on, as we did in the league. Teams that beat them tend to win because they have attacked them.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

January 05, 2016, 07:59:59 PM
Reply #7

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
I cant see a win for us

Simply simply lovely

January 05, 2016, 08:00:29 PM
Reply #8

Shogun

Administrator
I am convinced we'll do them tomorrow. Go at them, and they are soft as fuck at the back. No holding back, Goodison under lights. Don't play with the handbrake on, as we did in the league. Teams that beat them tend to win because they have attacked them.

Then lose 3-0 in the 2nd leg
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

January 05, 2016, 08:04:35 PM
Reply #9

Bluedylan

Then lose 3-0 in the 2nd leg

Haha. We'll attempt to cross that bridge when it comes collapses under us.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

January 05, 2016, 08:05:08 PM
Reply #10

Macca77

They will score, that's for certain

January 05, 2016, 08:11:08 PM
Reply #11

Gash

Global Moderator
No, i believe that with our current league form the only thing that is sort of keeping him afloat with the fans is that we are in a semi final of a cup competition. If that goes away, there are very few reasons to be onside with the man. Personally I don't want him gone, but a cup exit I could see why a lot of fans would.

If we lose it'll be the manner of the defeat that matters. If we go out with heads held high, put in a top performance and only lose to the better team then so be it.

Unfortunately the way things are at the moment it won't matter what happens and some peoples feelings will continue to get more toxic.

January 05, 2016, 08:14:06 PM
Reply #12

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Amazed that there are tickets left for this.

January 05, 2016, 08:16:34 PM
Reply #13

Eddie

NSNO Subscriber
Amazed that there are tickets left for this.

A few people have said its not even close to selling out, not sure if that's bollocks or not.
I'll assume you have been drinking... I live in Monterrey Mexico numb nuts

January 05, 2016, 08:24:00 PM
Reply #14

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
A few people have said its not even close to selling out, not sure if that's bollocks or not.

Away leg already sold out despite not knowing whether it would be worth it so a bit of disparity there!

Although it often seems to be like that with cup matches.

We'd take 10,000 to a local team (if allowed), Preston say, but probably only get 20,000 at home.