2 (2.3%)
Osman (Sub)
0 (0%)
Mirallas (Sub)
0 (0%)
Kone (Sub)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: Everton v Manchester City  (Read 47450 times)

January 05, 2016, 08:25:30 PM
Reply #15

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
This match really is to save our season, isn't it?

[yoda voice]No, there is another.[/yoda voice]
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin

January 05, 2016, 08:34:47 PM
Reply #16

bluenose27

No, i believe that with our current league form the only thing that is sort of keeping him afloat with the fans is that we are in a semi final of a cup competition. If that goes away, there are very few reasons to be onside with the man. Personally I don't want him gone, but a cup exit I could see why a lot of fans would.
Don't remember Moyes getting sacked when we lost a quarter final at home to Wigan 4.0!

January 05, 2016, 08:38:18 PM
Reply #17

bluenose27

Think we should give the team that finished the Spurs game a start but if Jags is fit he should play and I include the GK as well. It gave us more stability and to play both Mirallas or Kone as well as Delefeou against City would be suicidal

January 05, 2016, 08:53:03 PM
Reply #18

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
I wanna go, but then I can't be assed going in my work shit as I won't have time to go home and get changed.

Top blooooo me la.

January 05, 2016, 08:56:10 PM
Reply #19

Macca77

Martinez wants the atmosphere to be similar the Bayern Munich and Fiorentina games

Not a chance

January 05, 2016, 09:03:15 PM
Reply #20

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
If we lose it'll be the manner of the defeat that matters. If we go out with heads held high, put in a top performance and only lose to the better team then so be it.

Nothing personal to you Gash, but it's sad how quickly expectations have been lowered since the Moyes days that now the general consensus is that fans are now generally pleased with getting draws against teams like Spurs and West Ham, and that losing to a top side like City is bearable as long as we go out with our heads held high.

Just somewhat ironic that a manager who explicitly set out to raise expectations, after a manager who did all he could to lower them, has succeeded in doing the exact opposite.

January 05, 2016, 09:08:39 PM
Reply #21

Bluedylan

Nothing personal to you Gash, but it's sad how quickly expectations have been lowered since the Moyes days that now the general consensus is that fans are now generally pleased with getting draws against teams like Spurs and West Ham, and that losing to a top side like City is bearable as long as we go out with our heads held high.

Just somewhat ironic that a manager who explicitly set out to raise expectations, after a manager who did all he could to lower them, has succeeded in doing the exact opposite.

I don't think he's lowered expectations in the slightest.

I think the reason people would've taken a draw against Spurs is because they are the form team in the league, and we haven't been picking up results. And I think the reason people would accept a defeat against City begrudgingly is because they are insanely wealthy and have a number of world class players, and people realise that we have no inherent right to expect a win in either situation.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

January 05, 2016, 09:12:14 PM
Reply #22

Thornton_19

Don't remember Moyes getting sacked when we lost a quarter final at home to Wigan 4.0!

It was 3-0 and he was in the process of letting his contract run out so what would of been the point.

January 05, 2016, 09:13:38 PM
Reply #23

Rhys

It was 3-0 and he was in the process of letting his contract run out so what would of been the point.

Plus we were on course for another top 6 finish in the league.

January 05, 2016, 09:22:16 PM
Reply #24

Gash

Global Moderator

Pretty much what Bluedylan says, it's not lowering expectations. On paper we shouldn't be able to compete with City, we probably will but talk of it being a make or break game are wide of the mark. Losing a cup semi to a squad with the likes of Aguero, Silva, Toure, De Bruyne, and Richard Wright in it isn't something to start calling for heads and writing our season off about.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 09:23:05 PM by Gash »

January 05, 2016, 09:41:47 PM
Reply #25

Evertonian in NC

It was said during the US broadcast of the Spurs match that RM understands the frustration of not having won anything in so long, and that he fully grasps the urgency to take home a Cup this year for it to be deemed a success (left inferred, now that Top 4 is a pipe dream and Top 6 very unlikely).

Not that I think he necessarily deserves the sack if we don't win this game or the Cup...but it will be very deflating for any hopes for a successful season if we do lose.  Or draw, really.  We have to win.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

January 05, 2016, 09:52:28 PM
Reply #26

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
Looks like Bony is set to miss the game through injury and Aguero will start instead
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

January 05, 2016, 10:00:29 PM
Reply #27

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Pretty much what Bluedylan says, it's not lowering expectations. On paper we shouldn't be able to compete with City, we probably will but talk of it being a make or break game are wide of the mark. Losing a cup semi to a squad with the likes of Aguero, Silva, Toure, De Bruyne, and Richard Wright in it isn't something to start calling for heads and writing our season off about.

On paper that's true but, until Martinez came along, we used to make City our slutty little bitch on a regular basis.

Anyway I agree I don't think we should be calling for Martinez's head based on this game. In fact the idea that any one game, whether it's a cup final or title decider, should be the basis for sacking a manager is stupid.

January 05, 2016, 10:40:05 PM
Reply #28

blob

now that gives me hope :)

January 05, 2016, 10:48:05 PM
Reply #29

Snipellis11

Will be a tough game this but it was always going to be tough against city, I feel we have to get a win in the home game and could do with winning by two goals to take a bit more of a lead into the away tie. Nervous and excited about this game but it's class to be involved in these types of big games, it's what it's all about. We have to have a right go at them and leave everything on the pitch for both games, lets be positive. COYB!!!!!