November 24, 2017, 12:48:53 AM

Author Topic: Everton v West Brom  (Read 38528 times)

February 12, 2016, 11:35:10 PM
Read 38528 times

Shogun

Administrator

Everton v West Bromwich Albion
Goodison Park
Saturday 13th February 15:00
Premier League Match #26

Everton's last 5 matches

Chelsea 3-3 Everton (O.G, Mirallas, Funes Mori)
Manchester City 3-1 Everton - Capital One Cup (Barkley)
Carlisle United 0-3 Everton (Kone, Lennon, Barkley)
Everton 3-0 Newcastle United (Lennon, Barkley Pen x2)
Stoke City 0-3 Everton (Lukaku Pen, Coleman, Lennon)

West Brom's last 5 matches

West Brom 0-0 Aston Villa
West Brom 2-2 Peterborough - FA Cup (Berahino x2)
West Brom 1-1 Swansea City (Rondon)
Newcastle United 1-0 West Brom
Peterborough 1-1 (3-4 Pens) West Brom - FA Cup (Fletcher)

Everton

Everton recorded their third successive 3-0 victory last weekend thanks to three first half goals against Stoke City at the Britannia Stadium. Those three goals in the opening 45 minutes means that no Premier League side have scored more first half goals than Everton this season (23, Joint with Spurs). Joel Robles has now kept a clean sheet in his last five consecutive Premier League matches for Everton which is a streak he'll be looking to extend this weekend, though Everton have conceded 22 goals at Goodison Park this season and that is the worst record of any club in the top five European leagues, alongside newly promoted Serie A side, Frosinone. Romelu Lukaku scored a personal best of 17 league goals in 35 appearances during his loan spell at West Bromwich Albion and should he score his fourth goal in four matches against the Baggies then he'll equal the same tally on Saturday. Despite beating Newcastle United in their last home match, Everton go into this home fixture bottom of the form table (home matches only) with just five points from their last six matches at Goodison Park.

Everton's back to back Premier League victories means that they're now in a much stronger psotition than at this stage last season and considering that the Toffees took just one point from the three matches that followed at this stage last season, then Everton have the opportunity to extend their eight point lead further. Despite scoring 15 more goals than last season and rising four places in the table, the main statistics aren't much different in numbers. Everton average the same amount of possession, they've hit the same percentage of shots on target and won the same percentage of tackles. The only significant difference is that they're creating more chances during matches whilst they've still conceded a similar amount of goals. The main difference this season has come in away fixtures as Everton have taken exactly the same amount of points after 13 matches at Goodison Park as they did last season (16) whereas only Leicester (28), Arsenal (24) and Tottenham (23) have taken more points than the Toffees (19) away from home this season.

Possible Line-Ups

West Brom

Statistics & Injuries

« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 12:41:40 AM by Shogun »
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

February 12, 2016, 11:36:06 PM
Reply #1

Shogun

Administrator
I'll fill this in later but I thought with less than 24 hours until the match, it'd probably be best to put a thread up before @Bluedylan has a bitch fit.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 11:36:40 PM by Shogun »

February 12, 2016, 11:58:49 PM
Reply #2

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Seemingly think this every week but it's an interesting game for us. (I suppose that's what comes with being inconsistent)

Obviously Carlisle weren't great being a League 2 side. But that was exacerbated by them trying to play football (set pieces aside) as this played into our hands much more than a good old fashioned kick and rush team might have done.

Newcastle started off with an open looking side and only went even more so after half time, which again suited us playing Lennon and Cleverly.

Similarly Stoke no longer employ the good old welly too often and in fact comfortably had more possession than us. Again this suited our new found solidity in that we were able to exploit the wide spaces when we won the ball back.

This game however will be a test for the team (and Lennon and Cleverly as individuals) in that they will sit behind the ball.

There'll be the pressure on us to make the match interesting so we will have to be careful to not leave ourselves exposed if we commit too many forward.

Also the defence will have plenty of possession in this one. Again going against the recent grain of being able to put their foot through it more frequently.

Could well be a game for the subs.

February 13, 2016, 12:07:51 AM
Reply #3

hill135

I'm going for a grim 1-1 draw.

February 13, 2016, 12:10:59 AM
Reply #4

Thornton_19

They will be goosed after playing 120 minutes on Wednesday. No excuses here. Need to put this one to bed early and comfortably

February 13, 2016, 12:27:29 AM
Reply #5

Shogun

Administrator
Top 4?

Everton manager Roberto Martinez: "Where we drop too many points is at home, and we're embracing that as a real challenge.

"We want to aim high, we want to be involved in the latter stages of every competition and we want to get into the top four."

West Brom head coach Tony Pulis: "They've got some fantastic players, it's most probably the strongest Everton squad that the club has had for a long time.

"We know how difficult it's going to be, they're a good side and it's going to be tough, but we have to go there and make sure we put a show on."

February 13, 2016, 12:33:17 AM
Reply #6

Alanvideo

A Pulis team is always difficult to beat . We need to score first and make them come out.
We are special ,we are Everton.

February 13, 2016, 12:36:17 AM
Reply #7

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
These matchday threads are getting later and later, is this so shoggy can get a team right?

Simply simply lovely

February 13, 2016, 12:39:14 AM
Reply #8

Shogun

Administrator
These matchday threads are getting later and later, is this so shoggy can get a team right?

Have you seen West Brom's injuries? I've them playing two attacking full backs away from home in a Pulis team. inconsiderate bastards.

I hope that is their team, it looks dreadful.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 12:42:36 AM by Shogun »

February 13, 2016, 12:50:16 AM
Reply #9

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

Top 4?

Everton manager Roberto Martinez: "Where we drop too many points is at home, and we're embracing that as a real challenge.

"We want to aim high, we want to be involved in the latter stages of every competition and we want to get into the top four."

West Brom head coach Tony Pulis: "They've got some fantastic players, it's most probably the strongest Everton squad that the club has had for a long time.

"We know how difficult it's going to be, they're a good side and it's going to be tough, but we have to go there and make sure we put a show on."

To be fair I think he's talking generally here.

Or he should be to distract from where we are/have been for 18 months!

February 13, 2016, 12:59:23 AM
Reply #10

TSGun

Despite the Pulis factor this is the most confidence I've fealt all season.

If we can keep building on the past few weeks, and not get frustrated, all should end well. We seem to be playing them just at the right time.

February 13, 2016, 01:19:07 AM
Reply #11

Bluedylan

Easy win against a tired, depleted team.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

February 13, 2016, 01:40:41 AM
Reply #12

Evertonian in NC

Taking my kid on a university visit, so it will be a Saturday night game (US time) on the DVR for me, and I will probably be the last voter for MotM.  But I won't cheat and read the thread first.

We are, believe it or not, the main NBCSN match, so should be plenty of streams for you guys at least.  COYB!!
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

February 13, 2016, 01:45:22 AM
Reply #13

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
think we will hammer them.
I have to return some videotapes.

February 13, 2016, 02:11:25 AM
Reply #14

hill135

Should do a sweepstakes on how many centre backs Pulis will have in the lineup.

I vote six.