November 24, 2017, 08:36:09 PM

Author Topic: Transfer Speculation 2016  (Read 545916 times)

March 27, 2016, 04:40:39 PM
Reply #15

Makis

We should aim to find a player who replaces Barry who the team can be built around. Carrick is not that player.

March 27, 2016, 04:50:58 PM
Reply #16

Lxxx

I do think our next midfield signing needs to be a mainstay of the team and a dominant figure. I know these cost big money but we'll have big money to spend in the summer if all these departures are to be believed, so we need to be building a strong spine now moving forwards.

March 27, 2016, 04:55:03 PM
Reply #17

Bluedylan

Yeah I don't think anyone's saying we should build a midfield around Carrick. We do need to spend properly if we want genuine quality.

But as a squad player, a great passer and a winner, on a free, I think it would be a smart signing.

Just cos we've now got plenty of money doesn't mean we should sack off clever little signings.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

March 27, 2016, 05:03:31 PM
Reply #18

Makis

United are apparently willing to sell Schneiderlin, rather go for him.

We still have Barry, Barkley, McCarthy, Besic and Cleverley even when Gibson and Osman leave. And it would be nice if one of the youngsters got some playing time as well. Do we really want to add TWO central midfielders more? Because that's what you are saying, unless you think our current lot + Carrick would be sufficient.

March 27, 2016, 05:06:58 PM
Reply #19

Bluedylan

United are apparently willing to sell Schneiderlin, rather go for him.

We still have Barry, Barkley, McCarthy, Besic and Cleverley even when Gibson and Osman leave. And it would be nice if one of the youngsters got some playing time as well. Do we really want to add TWO central midfielders more? Because that's what you are saying, unless you think our current lot + Carrick would be sufficient.

Depends how much money we've got like. I'd just get Carrick as a squad option. I'd sell McCarthy and buy a better version of him, that can do more on the ball.

He's been here for three seasons now, and the development hasn't happened and isn't going to happen (imo). If it was ever gonna happen, it would be under Martinez who values technical training over physical training.

March 27, 2016, 05:12:58 PM
Reply #20

Makis

Well, of course if you are willing to recycle players things are different. Problem would still be that we'd have two 35 or so old midfielders we rely on. Not exactly building for the future.

March 27, 2016, 05:18:23 PM
Reply #21

Gash

Global Moderator
Just cos we've now got plenty of money doesn't mean we should sack off clever little signings.

Of course not but it also means we don't need to be chasing 35 year old out of contract squad fillers.

March 27, 2016, 05:20:28 PM
Reply #22

Bluedylan

Of course not but it also means we don't need to be chasing 35 year old out of contract squad fillers.

Yeah point taken. Like I say, he'd be very much a squad option for me, playing occasionally. I wouldn't chase him either. Just offer him a contract, and if he's not arsed, sound.

March 27, 2016, 05:36:18 PM
Reply #23

Lxxx

Midfield is an area we've lacked in for years now. Barry was a cute signing who did a good holding job but now's the time to look to future-proof the position for years to come. A Besic and McCarthy combination isn't the answer in my opinion, they are an either/or option, and with Cleverley and Barkley in the mix then a real top draw, first choice player needs to be the next signing.

March 27, 2016, 06:05:07 PM
Reply #24

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
Imagine Carrick and Barry sitting deep in the midfield and us being the least physically fit side in the league and the team who does the least amount of pressing

In fact you don't need to do that much imagining, just picture Michael Carrick in a blue shirt!

Not that it would be Carricks fault, but he's not the answer to our problems
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

March 27, 2016, 06:07:44 PM
Reply #25

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
I would like a deep lying playmaker if we are going to have Mc Carthy or Besic in there though. Barry has a go at being the sort of player we need there, Gibson had his moments in the past but we need someone much more inventive back there if we are going to persist with the sort of systems we regularly play.

March 27, 2016, 06:11:46 PM
Reply #26

Ross

When need a couple of players in their prime adding to the squad not ones who are past theirs.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 06:12:03 PM by Ross »
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

March 27, 2016, 06:13:07 PM
Reply #27

plowman2

Carrick and Valencia's second choice keeper! Lazy journos haven't got their heads round the fact we have a bit of cash now. Still making up the stories they did when we were skint.
 I demand out of respect they make up stories about more expensive, younger and higher quality players!!
He's been devastingly underwhelming at goodison and seems to have developed a belief he can run straight through solid objects.
(Sunderland fan's fume at possible signing of McGeady on loan)

March 27, 2016, 06:15:19 PM
Reply #28

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Us having money doesn't mean we won't look for bargains who can strengthen the squad. I certainly hope not anyway.

March 27, 2016, 06:39:46 PM
Reply #29

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
If we're going to persist with the same shite half-arsed lob-sided system we've been failing with now then Carrick is a great replacement for Barry for a couple of years.

If we're going to try something new to get the best out the players who don't leave in the summer then its an emphatic no from me.
Cordiali saluti, motherfuckers.