September 19, 2019, 11:44:33 AM

Author Topic: Crystal Palace v Everton  (Read 60766 times)

April 14, 2016, 04:11:48 AM
Reply #510

Trowel

I am excited about the potential of this squad.
www.footballitk.com | Football news from those In The Know

Latest Everton transfer news

April 14, 2016, 04:12:10 AM
Reply #511

Simon Paul

Administrator
It's better than 2 defeats.

Granted it's not exactly hardon material.

and coming from where we've been (the three defeats in a row) it's a start

you can't underestimate the confidence a clean sheet will give defenders (no matter how gash the opposition were in front of goal)

it's something to build on into the next game, which is what everyone should be hoping for - a win against Southampton to build some confidence and momentum for the next two games

April 14, 2016, 04:12:53 AM
Reply #512

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
This is also against a team that have lost more games at home than we have.

Take that in, more than our 8 losses.

2 more, in fact.

April 14, 2016, 04:13:05 AM
Reply #513

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
According to some we're on the up. Wow.

Sometimes you have to stop the rot first. Then make moves in the right direction. I think a lot of people at the moment, because they want RM out, are looking for negative after negative. I only saw bits of the game because my stream was shit but I think there are signs that there is a bit of fight and a willingness from the players to do something about it. I've been in these situations and after a set run you take any positives and build on them.
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

April 14, 2016, 04:13:05 AM
Reply #514

Evertonian in NC

Crap game all round, only real positive was that we kept a clean sheet but even that was due to Adebayor's piss poor finishing. Can see Southampton giving us a beating on Saturday, not even contemplating what the Shite will do to us a week today

I worry about Soton more than the Shite, to be honest.  When they kick it into 5th gear, they can really give a proper hiding.  And Goodison will turn, and turn viciously.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

April 14, 2016, 04:13:14 AM
Reply #515

charlatan

"2nd Yellow was very harsh" apparently?

What about the other 2 challenges before that he could (and probably should) have walked for Bobby?

More phenomenal excuses

April 14, 2016, 04:13:44 AM
Reply #516

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
You could probably paint the last 2 performances as being decent if they formed part of a season that was good in general.  If we were mostly winning games but had the odd lethargic away performance against a poor side then you'd take that.

But the fact is that the last 2 performances represent a genuine improvement over a lot of what we've seen of late, yet taken on their own merits were poor performances.  It really is a symptom of how bad we've been that anyone can take much in the way of positives out of them.

April 14, 2016, 04:14:14 AM
Reply #517

Rhys

This is also against a team that have lost more games at home than we have.

Take that in, more than our 8 losses.

2 more, in fact.

And they've still got more points than us at home!

April 14, 2016, 04:14:24 AM
Reply #518

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

The real stat is that we have won 3 of our last 19 league matches.
We have drawn 8 and lost 8.
Wins in cup games have glossed over this startling fact - we are Wigan.

What 17 points from 19 games?

No wonder it's depressing!

April 14, 2016, 04:14:57 AM
Reply #519

Evertonian in NC

Sometimes you have to stop the rot first. Then make moves in the right direction. I think a lot of people at the moment, because they want RM out, are looking for negative after negative. I only saw bits of the game because my stream was shit but I think there are signs that there is a bit of fight and a willingness from the players to do something about it. I've been in these situations and after a set run you take any positives and build on them.

Fair enough.  Then again...it's hard to fall off the floor.  Then again, for the first 10-15 minutes today, it looked like we were gonna lose 5-0.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

April 14, 2016, 04:15:01 AM
Reply #520

howard1334

I can only assume we either arent fit enough to do it. Or he doesnt want the likes of Barkley and Lukaku doing it as he wants them to conserve energy for when they get the ball, and rather have mccarthy or barry win it back and release the forward players. Or he is asking them to do it and Barkley/Lukaku etc dont have the desire to do it and carry out his instructions.

Cant think of any other reason why do it so infrequently. I saw a graph the other week and we are down the bottom with newcastle and sunderland for least amount of pressing per game in the league. If they arent fit enough it thats ridiculous, if its because he wants to conserve energy i understand the idea but as shown by the top teams around at the moment they all press and dont leave individuals out of it. And if it's the final one then it's poor management to let them get away with it.

Whatever it is, not really good enough!

Fair analysis. Perhaps a combo of all three.

Probably no coincidence that three teams that do the least pressing are all towards the bottom end of the table. We would likely be in the relegation zone too if we were just not significantly more talented than the other squads.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 04:17:55 AM by howard1334 »

April 14, 2016, 04:15:04 AM
Reply #521

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

And they've still got more points than us at home!

Ha, yes so they have :(

April 14, 2016, 04:15:27 AM
Reply #522

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
10 men for nearly half a game, it's hardly surprising.

If we played against someone like Spurs, yes, but this was far worse than what you usually see from a team after playing half the game with 10.
I didn't even remember I had a signature.

April 14, 2016, 04:16:13 AM
Reply #523

Evertonian in NC

"2nd Yellow was very harsh" apparently?

What about the other 2 challenges before that he could (and probably should) have walked for Bobby?

More phenomenal excuses

No, it wasn't.  2nd yellow was a yellow all day, and McCarthy knew it.  All the more frustrating because he had time to think about hat he was getting ready to do, and went through with it anyway.

April 14, 2016, 04:16:17 AM
Reply #524

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Seems to me like it does from some of the arguments being put forward on other threads.

No i don't think it does really, but it is quite a nice witty comment and I'm sure it will get some likes.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.