October 19, 2019, 09:33:15 AM

Author Topic: Crystal Palace v Everton  (Read 62905 times)

April 14, 2016, 04:17:22 AM
Reply #525

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
"2nd Yellow was very harsh" apparently?

The word is "stupid".

It was only harsh in the light of what that cunt Cabaye was allowed to get away with.
I didn't even remember I had a signature.

April 14, 2016, 04:17:51 AM
Reply #526

charlatan

No, it wasn't.  2nd yellow was a yellow all day, and McCarthy knew it.  All the more frustrating because he had time to think about hat he was getting ready to do, and went through with it anyway.

Indeed, and nowhere near the first time we've seen one of our players get carded for completely unprofessional 2nd yellows.  Reeks of piss week management letting them get away with it to me

April 14, 2016, 04:18:09 AM
Reply #527

Lxxx

I can only assume we either arent fit enough to do it. Or he doesnt want the likes of Barkley and Lukaku doing it as he wants them to conserve energy for when they get the ball, and rather have mccarthy or barry win it back and release the forward players. Or he is asking them to do it and Barkley/Lukaku etc dont have the desire to do it and carry out his instructions.

Cant think of any other reason why do it so infrequently. I saw a graph the other week and we are down the bottom with newcastle and sunderland for least amount of pressing per game in the league. If they arent fit enough it thats ridiculous, if its because he wants to conserve energy i understand the idea but as shown by the top teams around at the moment they all press and dont leave individuals out of it. And if it's the final one then it's poor management to let them get away with it.

Whatever it is, not really good enough!

The 'conserving energy' argument holds no water whatsoever. Kane works his nuts off every game and still bags 20 a season. Vardy similarly. So does Eriksen, Alli....

Football has moved on, being at the peak of your physical fitness for 90 minutes is where it's at now. Not just using your athleticism in short bursts.

April 14, 2016, 04:18:22 AM
Reply #528

charlatan

The word is "stupid".

It was only harsh in the light of what that cunt Cabaye was allowed to get away with.

I was thinking more "unprofessional"

April 14, 2016, 04:19:47 AM
Reply #529

howard1334

The 'conserving energy' argument holds no water whatsoever. Kane works his nuts off every game and still bags 20 a season. Vardy similarly. So does Eriksen, Alli....

Football has moved on, being at the peak of your physical fitness for 90 minutes is where it's at now. Not just using your athleticism in short bursts.

I do think that there is an argument that Lukaku, given his body build, is probably not going to be able to press like some of the other players you mentioned all game long (though I am sure he can do more than he is currently). That might mean, however, that he is not the sort of striker you need in the modern game.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 04:22:00 AM by howard1334 »

April 14, 2016, 04:20:20 AM
Reply #530

Klown-Shoes

Woeful, let the defenders of Boaty defend him.

#Misery

April 14, 2016, 04:20:32 AM
Reply #531

Rhys

I agree. However I do think some people are naturally more able to do it consistently for longer periods whereas others are built for longer bursts but fewer of them. Someone like Toure can run quickly for 60 yards but then thats him done for a bit. Whereas Vardy, Suarez can do short bursts most of the game.

I definitely dont think Lukaku or Barkley are near being at peak fitness though, which is baffling.

April 14, 2016, 04:20:38 AM
Reply #532

Bluedylan

No i don't think it does really, but it is quite a nice witty comment and I'm sure it will get some likes.

Wasn't witty at all, I feel like the argument for the defence has been unbelievably weak. I don't see you putting any constructive arguments together. A lot of 'beep' action like. Loads of that.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

April 14, 2016, 04:21:29 AM
Reply #533

sam of the south

Indeed.

In fact the most talented and most successful sides work and press the hardest; Barcelona, Bayern et al..
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
Henry David Thoreau

April 14, 2016, 04:21:29 AM
Reply #534

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
What's the beep thing about?

April 14, 2016, 04:22:42 AM
Reply #535

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
If we pressed I would have so, so much more confidence, and it would be one less stick to beat Martinez with.

But that said, for a largely static team off the ball, we get pulled apart like BBQ pork, and teams seem to be able to find space in the 10 position between the lines like nobody's business...so I have no idea what the fuck we would look like trying to close down.

Then again, the first 10 after McCarthy went off we closed down like animals and they were all over the shop so once again, like so often this season - I don't know what to think!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 04:23:01 AM by brap2 »
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

April 14, 2016, 04:22:48 AM
Reply #536

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Who the fuck is boaty?
Simply simply lovely

April 14, 2016, 04:22:58 AM
Reply #537

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
The thing is for me is that the 3 losses wasn't the rot that needed stopping; they were against teams in the top 6.

It's that stat of 17 points from 19 games that's the real issue.

(Actually just looked it's 20 points from last 19 games.)

As that covers all the table.

So we're not pulling out of a short, say 6 game slump, where any sort of positive results are what's needed.

This is long term poor form.

2 draws against teams that are worse than us isn't something we should remotely be clinging on to.

April 14, 2016, 04:23:29 AM
Reply #538

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber

Lukaku is heavier than Kane though and a bit taller. His body might not be able to cope with doing that as well as Kane so it does make a difference. It's like my fitness level is different as a front rower to a back rower. Both got to last a game, but if I'm expected to run around too much from ruck to ruck and maul to maul my effectiveness in the s rum is gone.
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

April 14, 2016, 04:24:05 AM
Reply #539

Klown-Shoes