August 15, 2018, 09:46:51 AM

Author Topic: Crystal Palace v Everton  (Read 46946 times)

April 14, 2016, 04:24:41 AM
Reply #540

sam of the south

Who the fuck is boaty?

I think it's a variation on 'boaty mcboatface' but I can't be certain
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

April 14, 2016, 04:24:46 AM
Reply #541

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
I do think that there is an argument that Lukaku, given his body build, is probably not going to be able to press like some of the other players you mentioned all game long (though I am sure he can do more than he is currently). That might mean, however, that he is not the sort of striker you need in the modern game.
He needs someone up with him to do the running.  Having him and Ross just doesn't give us enough legs.
Cordiali saluti, motherfuckers.

April 14, 2016, 04:24:47 AM
Reply #542

Thornton_19

Lukaku is heavier than Kane though and a bit taller. His body might not be able to cope with doing that as well as Kane so it does make a difference. It's like my fitness level is different as a front rower to a back rower. Both got to last a game, but if I'm expected to run around too much from ruck to ruck and maul to maul my effectiveness in the s rum is gone.

Don't bring logic into this debate mate it is frowned upon.

April 14, 2016, 04:26:50 AM
Reply #543

howard1334

He needs someone up with him to do the running.  Having him and Ross just doesn't give us enough legs.

Does Ross look more labored this season than in the past? I feel like he just looks bigger and less quick across the ground on a regular basis.

April 14, 2016, 04:27:00 AM
Reply #544

Lxxx

I do think that there is an argument that Lukaku, given his body build, is probably not going to be able to press like some of the other players you mentioned all game long (though I am sure he can do more than he is currently). That might mean, however, that he is not the sort of striker you need in the modern game.

Lukaku, great as he has been, is not playing at the peak of his physical fitness. Barkley neither. Both full of muscle but both playing within their athletic capabilities. I'd love to see what they could be like under Tottenham's fitness coach for example. In fact all our squad.

April 14, 2016, 04:27:38 AM
Reply #545

Simon Paul

Administrator
Does Ross look more labored this season than in the past? I feel like he just looks bigger and less quick across the ground on a regular basis.

he's always had times in the season where he looks like he's wading through custard

he suffers quite badly (or did as a teenager) from asthma so I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

April 14, 2016, 04:28:22 AM
Reply #546

howard1334

Lukaku, great as he has been, is not playing at the peak of his physical fitness. Barkley neither. Both full of muscle but both playing within their athletic capabilities. I'd love to see what they could be like under Tottenham's fitness coach for example. In fact all our squad.

Yeah, I do wonder if both are too muscular. Muscle is nice and all but it can also be a liability.

April 14, 2016, 04:28:41 AM
Reply #547

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

If we pressed I would have so, so much more confidence, and it would be one less stick to beat Martinez with.

But that said, for a largely static team off the ball, we get pulled apart like BBQ pork, and teams seem to be able to find space in the 10 position between the lines like nobody's business...so I have no idea what the fuck we would look like trying to close down.

Then again, the first 10 after McCarthy went off we closed down like animals and they were all over the shop so once again, like so often this season - I don't know what to think!

Look at the Chelsea game.

If the opposition has less time to lift their heads and spot clear passes/runs we're much less likely to be carved open.

Most of the rest of the time the opposition can have a survey drawn up of the pitch and our players' positioning so it's no wonder that we can be pulled apart.

April 14, 2016, 04:28:43 AM
Reply #548

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
The thing is for me is that the 3 losses wasn't the rot that needed stopping; they were against teams in the top 6.

It's that stat of 17 points from 19 games that's the real issue.

(Actually just looked it's 20 points from last 19 games.)

As that covers all the table.

So we're not pulling out of a short, say 6 game slump, where any sort of positive results are what's needed.

This is long term poor form.

2 draws against teams that are worse than us isn't something we should remotely be clinging on to.
It's wank form
I can't imagine anyone can defend it (obvs some will try) but I for one am just glad we didn't lose
I hate how things are, I love Everton. I don't wanna see us lose, I hate it. Martinez isn't the answer, I think a vast majority agree with this but wanting Everton to lose??? Not for me

Simply simply lovely

April 14, 2016, 04:29:30 AM
Reply #549

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber

2 draws against teams that are worse than us isn't something we should remotely be clinging on to.

Remember at the end of Titanic and everyone is clinging onto whatever bits of shite they can that floats?  That's me now.  I'm fed up of the depression so trying to take whatever miniscule positives I can.
Cordiali saluti, motherfuckers.

April 14, 2016, 04:30:28 AM
Reply #550

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
He looks scared again

There was a run in the second half were he took 3 midfielders out the game like only he can... He needs to get back to that imo
Simply simply lovely

April 14, 2016, 04:30:52 AM
Reply #551

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

Lukaku is heavier than Kane though and a bit taller. His body might not be able to cope with doing that as well as Kane so it does make a difference. It's like my fitness level is different as a front rower to a back rower. Both got to last a game, but if I'm expected to run around too much from ruck to ruck and maul to maul my effectiveness in the s rum is gone.

Kane doesn't have Lukaku's turn of pace/power either.

Overall though I think we obviously could be fitter.

April 14, 2016, 04:31:14 AM
Reply #552

Klown-Shoes

Remember at the end of Titanic and everyone is clinging onto whatever bits of shite they can that floats?  That's me now.  I'm fed up of the depression so trying to take whatever miniscule positives I can.

http://www.nsno.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=50846.msg1070315#msg1070315

April 14, 2016, 04:31:15 AM
Reply #553

Simon Paul

Administrator
It's wank form
I can't imagine anyone can defend it (obvs some will try) but I for one am just glad we didn't lose
I hate how things are, I love Everton. I don't wanna see us lose, I hate it. Martinez isn't the answer, I think a vast majority agree with this but wanting Everton to lose??? Not for me

I don't think anyone has said it's good form or tried to defend it

I do think some people are imagining that some others have done that though, and then conjured up a fume because of it

We didn't lose.  Life is always a little bit better when Everton don't lose.  Not as good as when we win, but better than when we lose.  The form we're in at the moment, then a clean sheet is an improvement (obviously) although some will claim it's as bad as getting beat, which it isn't.

To be honest though, after the text the wife sent me this afternoon, even if we'd lost I was going to bed with a smile on my face.

April 14, 2016, 04:31:56 AM
Reply #554

Lxxx

Yeah, I do wonder if both are too muscular. Muscle is nice and all but it can also be a liability.

That's exactly what I say to the missus when she asks me why I don't get off my arse and go to the gym.