September 24, 2019, 12:26:54 AM

Author Topic: Crystal Palace v Everton  (Read 61447 times)

April 14, 2016, 04:00:37 AM
Read 61447 times

Lxxx

Two draws against Watford and Crystal Palace is a step in the right direction? WTF!?

April 14, 2016, 04:07:35 AM
Reply #1

Lxxx

2 points out 15 being a step in the right direction is exactly the kind of attitude that belongs in the last ownership of the club, not the present one, if we have any aspirations whatsoever.

April 14, 2016, 04:18:09 AM
Reply #2

Lxxx

I can only assume we either arent fit enough to do it. Or he doesnt want the likes of Barkley and Lukaku doing it as he wants them to conserve energy for when they get the ball, and rather have mccarthy or barry win it back and release the forward players. Or he is asking them to do it and Barkley/Lukaku etc dont have the desire to do it and carry out his instructions.

Cant think of any other reason why do it so infrequently. I saw a graph the other week and we are down the bottom with newcastle and sunderland for least amount of pressing per game in the league. If they arent fit enough it thats ridiculous, if its because he wants to conserve energy i understand the idea but as shown by the top teams around at the moment they all press and dont leave individuals out of it. And if it's the final one then it's poor management to let them get away with it.

Whatever it is, not really good enough!

The 'conserving energy' argument holds no water whatsoever. Kane works his nuts off every game and still bags 20 a season. Vardy similarly. So does Eriksen, Alli....

Football has moved on, being at the peak of your physical fitness for 90 minutes is where it's at now. Not just using your athleticism in short bursts.

April 14, 2016, 04:27:00 AM
Reply #3

Lxxx

I do think that there is an argument that Lukaku, given his body build, is probably not going to be able to press like some of the other players you mentioned all game long (though I am sure he can do more than he is currently). That might mean, however, that he is not the sort of striker you need in the modern game.

Lukaku, great as he has been, is not playing at the peak of his physical fitness. Barkley neither. Both full of muscle but both playing within their athletic capabilities. I'd love to see what they could be like under Tottenham's fitness coach for example. In fact all our squad.

April 14, 2016, 04:31:56 AM
Reply #4

Lxxx

Yeah, I do wonder if both are too muscular. Muscle is nice and all but it can also be a liability.

That's exactly what I say to the missus when she asks me why I don't get off my arse and go to the gym.

April 14, 2016, 04:23:24 PM
Reply #5

Lxxx

does the saints game confirm the worst home record in our history? if it goes to 'form' that is.

Martinez talked about learning from the past to create history in his first press conference in the job with Bill. He might just do that.