August 15, 2018, 12:29:26 AM

Author Topic: Director of Football might be appointed...  (Read 29235 times)

May 18, 2016, 09:29:47 PM
Reply #45

kramer0

I'm definitely saying no!

They're average at best and most of  them were pretty well known before hand.

It doesn't look good when you list the names. His best ever signings (in terms of overall career after the time he signed them) are Ashley Williams, Angel Rangel, James McCarthy, and Victor Moses.

Edit: And Romelu Lukaku. And probably Gerard Deulofeu. He hasn't unearthed a real unknown gem since he was managing Swansea.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:31:29 PM by kramer0 »

May 18, 2016, 09:49:18 PM
Reply #46

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

It doesn't look good when you list the names. His best ever signings (in terms of overall career after the time he signed them) are Ashley Williams, Angel Rangel, James McCarthy, and Victor Moses.

Edit: And Romelu Lukaku. And probably Gerard Deulofeu. He hasn't unearthed a real unknown gem since he was managing Swansea.

Yes.

Of those, Williams and McCarthy are the best.

McArthur and Rangel ok for the level of teams they are at and their initial cost.

May 18, 2016, 10:11:36 PM
Reply #47

Ridge

Sporting directors or Directors of football are there either at a managers behest to have influence at board level in transfers or to restrict managers excesses or short term approach as they have to swim or sink. The former tend to resign when the manager goes and the latter don't hand around long.

I think directors of football can be too stubborn in their profile and they often end up paying too much for each player. The manager has to adopt every player as his own and it's easier for both player and manager if they are demonstratively wanted by the manager.

You hear far more success stories associated with head scouts or heads of recuitment than you ever do about sporting directors.

May 18, 2016, 10:28:39 PM
Reply #48

Dr. Sponge

Continuity is the idea behind a DoF, so what's the point in appointing someone who could be easily poached by another club if he does well, such as Overmars.

It should be someone with a strong Everton background. Someone like Royle for example.

May 18, 2016, 10:36:43 PM
Reply #49

kramer0

Please read this article if you're a DoF skeptic.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/17/sevilla-monchi-liverpool-europa-league-final

Choice quote:

“Sixteen people cover a series of leagues. For the first five months we watch a lot of football but with no particular aim: we’re just accumulating data. Every month we produce an ideal XI for each league. Then in December we start watching players who appeared regularly in different contexts – home, away, international – to build the broadest possible profile.”

Monchi pulls out his phone and, carefully reducing the image so the names can’t be seen, says: “That gives us this.” A colour-coded spreadsheet shows players by position. Around 250 potential targets, in all positions. “The manager says: ‘I want a left-back who averages 11km a game, runs 800m at full speed, uses both feet.’ And from these, 10 will fit.”

That's what I want for Everton. But maybe I'm crazy.

May 18, 2016, 10:41:44 PM
Reply #50

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/17/sevilla-monchi-liverpool-europa-league-final

Choice quote:

I fail to see how this isn't a good idea.

Yes you need to get this appointment right but that's no different from anything other appointment.

For instance we need a keeper.

We need one whether RM had stayed or we appoint Mourinho or any other manager.

With DoF they have all this available to allow New Manager to set out the criteria and there'll be a list of players to choose from.

Yes a manager can do this but they also have lots of other jobs too. But more importantly they can take all this with them if they bugger off.

May 18, 2016, 11:49:42 PM
Reply #51

Evertonian in NC

Choice quote:

ABSOLUTELY.  And no matter how avid a football fan a manager might be, there's NO FUCKING WAY he can keep track of personnel in a global sport like this.  Again, coaches running personnel doesn't work at the NFL level, and that's a MUCH narrower universe of prospective players, even with the German lad getting drafted by the Vikings this year.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

May 18, 2016, 11:59:06 PM
Reply #52

Evertonian in NC

And having read Kramer's article, it's clear to me that in 20 years, EVERYBODY will be doing this.  The question is...will Everton reap the advantages of being on the cutting edge early (in the UK), or not?
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

May 19, 2016, 12:13:25 AM
Reply #53

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
I want to be one of those fellas who collects the data and just goes and watches loads of footy matches

I would also collect data on what the pies are like at each ground
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

May 19, 2016, 12:40:23 AM
Reply #54

Ridge

He also signed Diame didn't he? Or was that Bruce because he now has him at Hull? The guy who said the women of Wigan only look good by night  :snigger:

Wigan was a more appealing prospect for players than Swansea was. His transfers were profitable at both clubs though, he only paid over £4m twice, for Boselli and Ramis, they couldn't adapt. But always thought Bruce had the better transfer and league record at Wigan.

He got decent fees for Valencia, Cattermole, Moses and N'Zogbia and could have got decent fees for Diame, Rodellega and possibly Di Santo and Figueroa at some points. But players were always on shorter contracts and I think it meant they had a very limited shelf life.

May 19, 2016, 12:49:45 AM
Reply #55

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
I want to be one of those fellas who collects the data and just goes and watches loads of footy matches

I would also collect data on what the pies are like at each ground

If you need someone to cover your holidays in this new job then I'll volunteer.
Cordiali saluti, motherfuckers.

May 19, 2016, 01:00:58 AM
Reply #56

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

He also signed Diame didn't he? Or was that Bruce because he now has him at Hull? The guy who said the women of Wigan only look good by night  :snigger:

Wigan was a more appealing prospect for players than Swansea was. His transfers were profitable at both clubs though, he only paid over £4m twice, for Boselli and Ramis, they couldn't adapt. But always thought Bruce had the better transfer and league record at Wigan.

He got decent fees for Valencia, Cattermole, Moses and N'Zogbia and could have got decent fees for Diame, Rodellega and possibly Di Santo and Figueroa at some points. But players were always on shorter contracts and I think it meant they had a very limited shelf life.

Diame, Valenica etc were all signed by Bruce, yes.

May 19, 2016, 02:09:29 AM
Reply #57

Evertonian in NC

Where's the Lukaku/Stones money, Sir Stealth??

May 19, 2016, 05:18:47 AM
Reply #58

toffee_scot

This Monchi fella from Sevilla has done a great job. But:

Arouna Koné was our most expensive signing and scored two in 41; he goes to Levante, a ‘weaker’ team, and scores 17.”

May 22, 2016, 05:15:47 AM
Reply #59

hill135

Daily Mail saying we are considering Big Joe and Marc Overmars for the position.

Probably guesswork like.