October 17, 2018, 07:35:02 AM

Author Topic: Director of Football might be appointed...  (Read 30373 times)

May 22, 2016, 06:27:36 AM
Reply #60

Ross

Daily Mail saying we are considering Big Joe and Marc Overmars for the position.

Probably guesswork like.

Ignore them until they can spell Mark properly
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

May 22, 2016, 02:54:50 PM
Reply #61

KingdingalingNL

Marc Overmars is actually a sensible dof, he has a proper business mind. He became one of the richest Dutch ex/footballers through investing his money!

May 22, 2016, 03:15:51 PM
Reply #62

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

Daily Mail saying we are considering Big Joe and Marc Overmars for the position.

Probably guesswork like.

A bit of a polarised choice.

May 22, 2016, 03:20:42 PM
Reply #63

Bluedylan

Be well up for taking Ajax's DoF, if we're going down that route. That's a club that knows how to utilise that role, and an incoming candidate from Ajax would bring extensive knowledge and experience of what the role entails, and would hopefully be able to hit the ground running.

Giving Royle the job feels a bit like giving one of your family members who's half decent at maths the job of doing your accounts, and locking him in an office with a load of textbooks while he learns what he's got to do.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

May 22, 2016, 04:14:43 PM
Reply #64

Trowel

Always find it odd that the club's official Twitter account promotes gossip... unless...

https://twitter.com/Everton/status/734310362225344512
www.footballitk.com | Football news from those In The Know

Latest Everton transfer news

May 22, 2016, 04:43:03 PM
Reply #65

Tinga

Always find it odd that the club's official Twitter account promotes gossip... unless...

https://twitter.com/Everton/status/734310362225344512

Our whole media part of the club is complete amateur hour anyway.

May 22, 2016, 04:46:07 PM
Reply #66

ally2

Our whole media part of the club is complete amateur hour anyway.

Totally agree. The app is beyond useless. This is not difficult stuff.

May 22, 2016, 05:06:53 PM
Reply #67

Mayor Farnum

Doesn't help that in the above picture Joe seems to be saying, "Director of What?"

May 22, 2016, 05:37:16 PM
Reply #68

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
Love that the app was updating the shites goals in the derby about 20 mins after they went in hahaha
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lá Everton!

May 22, 2016, 05:50:44 PM
Reply #69

toffee_scot

Giving Royle the job feels a bit like giving one of your family members who's half decent at maths the job of doing your accounts, and locking him in an office with a load of textbooks while he learns what he's got to do.

Agreed. You never know though, Royle could have the makings of a good DoF plus he knows the club very well. But I'd rather we went for someone with very good experience of that role and knows how to manage the division of responsibilities. The person has to be a little business savvy, whether Royle is, I do not know.

May 22, 2016, 06:06:55 PM
Reply #70

hill135

Obviously the role is quite protean and different in different contexts, but the person specification for a DoF:

Wide-ranging knowledge of players and the transfer market, as well as other football people (managers etc.)

Extensive network of contacts within football including agents and people at other clubs and networking ability to grow this

Long term business and footballing vision (as in some countries the DoF is just that: a director, who sits on the board.)

accounting ability to balance the books from transfers

Ability to act as an ambassador for the club to other football parties and possibly the public

Ability to take responsibility for all footballing aspects of the club, ensure they are working together towards the club's vision.

We all love Big Joe but how many of these boxes does he tick? One?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 06:21:57 PM by hill135 »

May 22, 2016, 08:21:32 PM
Reply #71

van der Meyde

It's interesting how common the there is here that the Director of Football should have an extensive personal knowledge of players here.

Given that football clubs tend to have an extensive network of scouts, with a scout for each country/region, I'm not sure how realistic that is. Would Marc Overmars, coming from a stint as an academy coach, have had this knowledge when he became Ajax's director of football? I doubt it.

It'll be interesting to see just how hands on whoever comes in will be and how the responsibilities are spread between the manager, the director of football and, say, a chief scout/head of recruitment.

It's important that there's a clear structure in place and until we actually know what that is, it's difficult to say what the most important qualities will be.

What I'd personally like to see is a long-term appointment of somebody with a long-term vision for the club from the academy up. Somebody whose main role is to identify and appoint managers that fit our style/identity. Somebody who can sit down with the manager, the head scout and whoever else to draw up a list of possible players, but with the manager giving the final say on players brought in.

Fuck knows who that could be, though.

May 26, 2016, 01:51:11 AM
Reply #72

Toddacelli

I like the idea of a Director of Football, but have no idea who would be good at it.

I'm also not exactly sure what one would do. I get that they are responsible overall for the direction of all things 'football' within the club, but what individual responsibilities does that boil down to and how is that different from what Moshiri will be doing?

Anyway. Suggestions please. I'll start first.

Howard Wilkinson.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 01:51:37 AM by Toddacelli »

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

May 26, 2016, 01:53:17 AM
Reply #73

sirblue57

I like the idea of a Director of Football, but have no idea who would be good at it.

I'm also not exactly sure what one would do. I get that they are responsible overall for the direction of all things 'football' within the club, but what individual responsibilities does that boil down to and how is that different from what Moshiri will be doing?

Anyway. Suggestions please. I'll start first.

Howard Wilkinson.

Just fuck off.

Immediate ban please.

Howard fucking Wilkinson?  Would rather have martinez or Moyes.  :headbang:

I'm the "trophy husband" from the game my wife regrets playing.

May 26, 2016, 01:57:21 AM
Reply #74

Redartin

Moyes

If it means he doesn't get the manager's job.