December 01, 2020, 06:38:20 PM

Author Topic: Laugh along with those loveable Reds...  (Read 496707 times)

October 20, 2020, 04:21:04 PM
Reply #150

Bluedylan

Personally, I don't have an issue with Liverpool fans being devastated about their best player (arguably), and possibly the best centre half in the world, being injured for a long time. There's also the possibility that he's never the same player again. Of course that's a massive deal.

I'm delighted they're without their best player for a long time (he's never missed a Premier League game through injury since he signed for them apparently) from a rival perspective. At the same time, now that I've calmed down, and the game is over, I don't have a massive issue with Van Dijk as a player or what I've seen of him as a fella, and it's sad for him to miss a year of his career at his peak on a personal level.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

October 25, 2020, 02:39:15 PM
Reply #151

Bluedylan

It's more about entitlement than injuries for me, the mentality of entitlement.

When they were nowhere near winning the league for years they used to tell themselves that they were cheated every season by referees etc, like they were a small club, despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary, and despite being overwhelming beneficiaries of decisions favouring the big clubs.

Now they have a winning team, they convince themselves that everyone wants to stop them being in their rightful place (as they see it).

If you were doing a psychological profile of a person with the same mentality, you'd think of it as a persecution complex. In with that, you then have stuff they're justifiably angry about (Hillsborough), and stuff they should be ashamed of but aren't (Heysel, defending Suarez's overt racism).

The sense of entitlement coupled with the persecution complex makes for quite an unpleasant collective mentality in their fanbase, and as others have said, it becomes quite exhausting as their neighbours and rivals, just putting up with their hissyfits and desire for attention.

As difficult as following Everton can be at times, with it's own psychological challenges, I'm eternally grateful that we're a bit more grounded and that we actually reside on Earth.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.