November 19, 2017, 06:34:52 PM

Author Topic: Potential or Ability  (Read 904 times)

June 15, 2016, 02:26:45 PM
Read 904 times

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
With Koeman in charge now and everyone telling us he doesn't hang around do you think we will see a huge switch in our transfer policy?

Trying to sign finished articles rather than potential diamonds?

I would still like us to be looking at the future as well as signing quality players

Thoughts?

Simply simply lovely

deCoubertin

June 15, 2016, 02:43:32 PM
Reply #1

MmmBlueRamirez

Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

June 15, 2016, 02:49:01 PM
Reply #2

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
With Koeman in charge now and everyone telling us he doesn't hang around do you think we will see a huge switch in our transfer policy?

Trying to sign finished articles rather than potential diamonds?

I would still like us to be looking at the future as well as signing quality players

Thoughts?

I think our new found cash stash more than Koeman's choice will see us able to buy more finished articles that we'd previously have only had a chance of getting at the rough diamond stage.
Cordiali saluti, motherfuckers.

June 15, 2016, 02:56:43 PM
Reply #3

Gary1878

Saw a rumour that Axel Witsel was being looked at - 27 years old with one year left on contract. I think we will still be sensible, but certainly in the market for finished quality at a reasonable price.

June 15, 2016, 03:02:11 PM
Reply #4

School of Science

Agree with looking to the future like, but I think we can afford to buy both now mate, whether we can attract them is another thing.
Everton premier league champions 2014 / 15

June 15, 2016, 03:17:06 PM
Reply #5

The Analog Kid

We already have about 6 or 7 potential diamonds who could really flourish when used correctly. It's finished articles we need to begin with.

June 15, 2016, 03:19:08 PM
Reply #6

MmmBlueRamirez

Seeing a a large chunk of squad players and bench warmers have been jettisoned, and the wealth of young talent we have on board, I would favour a recruitment policy this summer largely based on getting in top quality experienced players.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

June 15, 2016, 03:45:30 PM
Reply #7

Juanito

Hopefully finished articles around 25-28.  I hope he gives some of our youth a chance, like Kenny, Connolly, Davies, blended in with more experience.  Would be a good chance to get in players mid to late 20's range, considering Osman, Piennar, Hibbert gone and Barry surely being a bit part player if that this season coming.

One thing about Koeman, he surprised everyone with the way he managed to get a host of new signings together quite quickly and help them gel.

Wonder what he thinks of Barry, McCarthy, Besic as our defensive midfielders, considering we are linked with Witsel.

June 15, 2016, 03:47:05 PM
Reply #8

The Analog Kid

I still think Barry has one more left in him, but I also don't think Koeman will rely on him as much as Martinez did and burn him out.

June 15, 2016, 05:31:04 PM
Reply #9

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
It's a tough one having players with 'potential', it's a great sign that the academy is doing well and that we are giving kids a chance.....but....
...if you take last year for example, Stones made some costly mistakes because of his inexperience (to be expected), and I don't think that would have happened if we would have had 2 experienced CB at the club, I do think he will be fantastic in the future, but I'm not sure whether it's right to wait another 12-24 months until he comes close to fulfilling his potential, as we could cash in and buy some experience.

On the flip side, if we make significant improvements in players around him (a new CB, top quality DM, and a top quality GK) then it might mean his mistakes aren't so costly and he can continue to develop with us.

It really is a tough one, especially when figures like 50m are being splashed around.
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

June 15, 2016, 05:52:20 PM
Reply #10

minty

It's a tough one having players with 'potential', it's a great sign that the academy is doing well and that we are giving kids a chance.....but....
...if you take last year for example, Stones made some costly mistakes because of his inexperience (to be expected), and I don't think that would have happened if we would have had 2 experienced CB at the club, I do think he will be fantastic in the future, but I'm not sure whether it's right to wait another 12-24 months until he comes close to fulfilling his potential, as we could cash in and buy some experience.

On the flip side, if we make significant improvements in players around him (a new CB, top quality DM, and a top quality GK) then it might mean his mistakes aren't so costly and he can continue to develop with us.

It really is a tough one, especially when figures like 50m are being splashed around.

Doesn't seem like a tough one at all. What do we have to gain with sticking with him? His value was 40m+  before last season. Playing him cost us big time- every position in the league is getting close to 2m and every position cost also potentially costing us the chance of attracting higher quality players). His value has increased negligibly if at all. If his mistakes cost us a place in Europe then we will be virtually forgotten as perennial top 6 challengers and be a genuine mid- table team nothing team like Stoke with Leicester and West Ham moving further away from us. If he has a storming season then he will just be wanted by more clubs so our chance of keeping him will be even less. Has anyone made any statements about him actually wanting to stay here long term?

June 15, 2016, 06:02:14 PM
Reply #11

Bluedylan

I want Koeman's first priority to be managing our existing squad much better than the last incumbent. I want to see improvements in organisation, fitness, positional discipline and tactical awareness.

Then, in terms of signings I'd like a mix of established ability in some key positions (goalkeeper, left attacking mid, centre half, centre mid, striker) and a couple of signings with big potential along side that (Milik being one of those).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 06:02:35 PM by Bluedylan »
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.