December 16, 2018, 12:06:47 AM

Poll

As the gaffer

Yes
104 (61.9%)
No
64 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 168

Author Topic: Koeman  (Read 119247 times)

June 02, 2016, 06:09:39 PM
Read 119247 times

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Was my 1st choice, especially with the managers we were being linked with first.

But then pellegrini was linked and I thought we were going for an established, top end manager.

We were told it was daft to consider the best so Emery and pellegrini seemed like the 2nd best options. Proven winners but but of "the big one".

So koeman looks distinctly average in comparison.

Probably just as well then, can't have us getting ideas above our station lads.

June 02, 2016, 06:28:52 PM
Reply #1

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Wonder if this is anything to do with Moshiri believing Koeman might be Arsenal's target as Wengers replacement.

Bit of ego getting in the way and he's making Koeman his top choice with an offer he can't turn down? Because if its really just between them two now I just can't see why we'd be so set on him over Emery given their records.

I've genuinely been trying to formalise the feeling of hat into a legible sentence for a little while now.

June 02, 2016, 08:54:14 PM
Reply #2

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
He will also be off to arsenal the second Wenger goes.
So we're going to be here next year with a decent chance of a shallower market of available managers.

@ross, I am worried about the more insidious option. That he's doing arsenal a favour of giving koeman a year trial at a club with more money to spend than Southampton, hence bigger egos and bigger expectations.

June 02, 2016, 09:38:23 PM
Reply #3

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Bit weird that a fortnight ago Koeman was first choice for many (including myself), yet off the back of Emery winning one game on the telly he now comes across as an anti-climax for many (err, including myself...)

For some maybe.

Others are more aware of the fact he has won 3 uefa cupa on the bounce with a team that would struggle to be considered in the 3rd rung of European teams for the majority of its history

June 03, 2016, 12:30:21 AM
Reply #4

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Hiring koeman tells our players and potential targets we are aiming for 7th and hoping the cups go to better teams so we squeeze into the Europa cup.

De Boer shows we are rolling the dice and we would be relying on his name as a player.

Signing emery or pellegrini shows our players and targets we have serious intentions on champions league football.

We won't get the tier above that - the mourinhos and someone's of the world. Nobody is daft enough to consider we have a chance of fighting for the league in the next 5 years.

June 03, 2016, 06:28:38 AM
Reply #5

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
There's been civic sniping between the two cities for the last few years.
Coupled with the fact the rest of the country still thinks of Liverpool as the place ~Harry Enfield's scousers are from and the fact Southampton as a club feel they have proven themselves as a top 10 side and want some recognition points to them not reacting well to this news.

I went the year before last (the 2-0 abject loss) and spoke to a few of them down there (massive lack of boozers). There's been no rivalry between the clubs as they have been none-entities for a long time. That has led to a liking of each other.
Same with City originally.
But as soon as a team becomes a rival or is considered immediately above you in the tiers you start to find reasons not to like them.
They were starting to feel that towards us 2 or 3 years ago apparently. We hadn't noticded the existed at that point.

Seems we still havent as popping down and just taking their manager seems perfectly obvious to us. Why wouldnt he leave them?
That's the attitude they will be railing against at the minute

that's not including the money we recoup from player sales.
It sort of is.
The current attitude is we have 100m to spend.
The 165m figure is after the sale of Lukaku.
I genuinely dont see anybody else leaving for a significant sum of money.

June 04, 2016, 03:09:28 AM
Reply #6

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Slightly off topic, but does anyone remember his retaken free against England? "He's gonna flick one, he's gonna flick one"

Fast forward to 1:50

How good were dutch teams in the day>
It's a crime no major honours were won.

June 06, 2016, 03:43:09 PM
Reply #7

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
I think people need to start to realise our squad wasn't "the best in 30 years" and that the players aren't going enough to be challenging for champs league/the league.

It may just be that we bought into the utter drivel spouted by the manager.
Now, after he has failed miserably (and he did Ross), in the cold light of day you can look at the squad and think maybe he was bragging everybody (and maybe helped his downfall).
No keeper. An injured/way past his best left back with no cover. No left flank at all in fact. A kid failing to live up to his potential. A handful of right wingers that wouldn't make the starting 11 for the top 6.

We have a right back that can only play in 1 system. A decent heart of a defence. 2 old man in the middle (1 we see 1 we don't) and 2 lads who have gaping holes in their game.

1 world class striker.

June 09, 2016, 06:17:04 AM
Reply #8

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
The Gilvary rumour comes from one solitary person asking if he was an Evertonian based on 1 solitary reference he made in a stock call.

I fucking hate Twitter most of the time.

June 09, 2016, 09:30:37 PM
Reply #9

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
If it was my solitary family holiday and I had a job that required as much commitment as a football manager does, then my new/old/prospective employers could suck a bag of dicks before I cut it short by so much as 30 minutes.

June 13, 2016, 06:38:04 PM
Reply #10

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
the only element of this story which is concerning to me is the possiblity that Koeman doesn't want to be here

who cares if Mane thinks Koeman is an asshat or plays long ball at times?

I remember a manager who had players from time to time think he's an ass hat, also one who played direct at times

his name was alex ferguson

Yeah. You don't have to like your boss - just to do what they say.

In regards to the "poaching" contract. No, there is no legal grounds on behalf of the players.
But part of an agreement to allow Koeman to void the last year of his contract (and to allow us to speak to him whilst under contract) can include a stipulation saying we wont bit. (different than they wont sell). That's perfectly above board.

June 14, 2016, 04:35:39 PM
Reply #11

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Good news and done in plenty of time before preseason starts.

People might complain about the whole holiday issue but his holidays might have been planned before at a time when he was certain he would still be Soton manager - plus May/June is the only time many football personnel get to go on holiday and he would have had his agent negotiating on his behalf during that time.

I'm looking forward to seeing how things go under Koeman and whether he can change the mentality of the team. Welcome to Everton Ronald.

This is quite important. Not even the team - the entire club.

We seem to have forgotten how to win things. We consider it "typical" when we choke. The people older than me have began to accept it, my generation have fully bought into it and the kids have known nothing else.