December 17, 2018, 01:46:13 PM

Poll

As the gaffer

Yes
104 (61.9%)
No
64 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 168

Author Topic: Koeman  (Read 119365 times)

June 06, 2016, 01:55:45 AM
Reply #750

The Analog Kid

Can't do comparisons with that league. It's fuckin' rubbish.

June 06, 2016, 01:59:50 AM
Reply #751

Thomas

Can't do comparisons with that league. It's fuckin' rubbish.

I am not, I am saying compared to Celtics choices in managers, Everton's have been heaven. Thats the simplicity of my point.

June 06, 2016, 02:04:50 AM
Reply #752

ally2

I'm not getting into this until we announce someone. There remain several good reasons why he still might decide to stay at Southampton. There hasn't been any substance to any of the stories of him coming here yet in my opinion.

June 06, 2016, 02:11:35 AM
Reply #753

Ross

Would Emery be a huge statement though?

Whose name in world football is better known?

Who used to be a world class player and a winner throughout his entire career?

Who has experience in more than one league and country?

Who can actually speak English?

I'd have Pellegrini ahead of Emery even. He's a totally unknown quantity outside of Seville.

Emery really would be statement over Koeman.

Koemans a journey man coach bumbling from job to job every few years never doing anything of note. Emery is far from that and has achieved more already in his career than Koeman has or likely ever will.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

June 06, 2016, 02:14:29 AM
Reply #754

plumber

Would Emery be a huge statement though?
Bigger than Koeman

Whose name in world football is better known?
Koeman as player, Emery as a manager

Who used to be a world class player and a winner throughout his entire career?
Who gives a fuck?

Who has experience in more than one league and country?
Koeman

Who can actually speak English?
Both

June 06, 2016, 02:15:45 AM
Reply #755

blargins

NSNO Subscriber

Koemans a journey man coach bumbling from job to job every few years never doing anything of note. Emery is far from that and has achieved more already in his career than Koeman has or likely ever will.

The three UEFA cup wins is extraordinary, for sure. However, it seems that as Martinez had lost the dressing room, one of the chief priorities of Morishi was to instill discipline again. A manager who doesn't speak a word of English is going to find that extremely difficult to do, which is one reason I think he has gone for Koeman.

Koeman's journey has been greatly different to Emery's, but it has certainly been more expansive. He has far more experience, and most importantly, already knows the prem. For the first time in ages, we are going for the near finished article as opposed to an up and coming, which frankly, Emery would be in this league.

I don't think you can say one is better than the other, you certainly cannot speak for the future, but right now, we need a Koeman more than an Emery.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

June 06, 2016, 02:15:59 AM
Reply #756

Waltzer

How is it when what i am saying is complete clear fact, that many of you cannot see it?

Moyes - Turns teams into plucky mid table also rans.
Koeman - fails in a big job (although i grant Ajax comes with pressure),wins mediocre leagues and developed 'plucky' Southampton.
= Clear paralells

Walter Smith - Got the job based on winning a mediocre league with Rangers.
Koeman - Won mediocre leagues, failed at Valencia when the standard was higher.
Struggle with your comparison really especially Walter smith. Yes he didn't do well, but I think Pep would struggle to go through what he did at the time and come out with any credit. So to have a pop based on that stint is harsh.
I think what Koeman did last year is miraculous.
Out of interest who would you have liked? Pellegrini, who spent a fortune and finished 4th despite having the best squad in the league by a distance or Emery who didn't win an away league game all season? I think it's how you quantify success and failure, I'd say Pellegrini has been more of a failure of late compared to Koeman

June 06, 2016, 02:17:21 AM
Reply #757

hill135

Emery is above our station at the moment. Simple as that.

June 06, 2016, 02:17:48 AM
Reply #758

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Celtic fans demand the treble + progress in the CL

Progress in the CL will always be difficult no matter who's in that job. I'd say the treble demands are only there due to the loss of Rangers as a Scottish force.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

June 06, 2016, 02:17:48 AM
Reply #759

Tony Clifton

Really hope we dont end up kicking ourselves if Pellegrini goes to Soton and they get to the CL.

Yep, still kicking myself over Bobby Robson here.  ::)

June 06, 2016, 02:23:56 AM
Reply #760

Bluedylan

In the immediate future, there's absolutely nothing wrong with getting us back to 6th. It would mean we're back in Europe, with hopefully a stronger, more expensive and more valuable squad, with a possible ground move on the horizon. That would be an extremely strong position.

I'd love us to jump into the Top 4 next season, but even with Emery that would be very difficult. So I have no issue with Koeman hopefully getting us back to 5th/6th next season, and maybe a cup win. It's unlikely to be a longterm appointment either way, so if Koeman's able to achieve what he did at Southampton with us in 2/3 years, we'd then be in a much stronger position to go for an elite manager, and have a long term, sustained chance at Top 4.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

June 06, 2016, 02:24:22 AM
Reply #761

Waltzer

Emery is apparently interested in every job in England but doesn't get any, got turned down by west ham last summer too. Plus his 1 stint outside of Spain ended disastrously, and I appreciate his European record is great but 5th, 5th and now 7th and getting humped in the champions league isn't really improving is it?

June 06, 2016, 02:29:09 AM
Reply #762

Danny

In the immediate future, there's absolutely nothing wrong with getting us back to 6th. It would mean we're back in Europe, with hopefully a stronger, more expensive and more valuable squad, with a possible ground move on the horizon. That would be an extremely strong position.

I'd love us to jump into the Top 4 next season, but even with Emery that would be very difficult. So I have no issue with Koeman hopefully getting us back to 5th/6th next season, and maybe a cup win. It's unlikely to be a longterm appointment either way, so if Koeman's able to achieve what he did at Southampton with us in 2/3 years, we'd then be in a much stronger position to go for an elite manager, and have a long term, sustained chance at Top 4.

I think you're spot on there, in the immediate future we really need the new stadium to solidify us as a permanent top 8 team, until that happens imo it'd be just as easy for us to fall off and become a Villa.

June 06, 2016, 02:32:01 AM
Reply #763

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I think you're spot on there, in the immediate future we really need the new stadium to solidify us as a permanent top 8 team, until that happens imo it'd be just as easy for us to fall off and become a Villa.

Exactly, people think we should be winning everything already. It's a process. It will take time. Even City had to build up before they won anything after getting their billions. We need to do this gradually, and transition otherwise we'll lose what the club is too. Like City have.

June 06, 2016, 02:49:19 AM
Reply #764

Ross

The three UEFA cup wins is extraordinary, for sure. However, it seems that as Martinez had lost the dressing room, one of the chief priorities of Morishi was to instill discipline again. A manager who doesn't speak a word of English is going to find that extremely difficult to do, which is one reason I think he has gone for Koeman.

Koeman's journey has been greatly different to Emery's, but it has certainly been more expansive. He has far more experience, and most importantly, already knows the prem. For the first time in ages, we are going for the near finished article as opposed to an up and coming, which frankly, Emery would be in this league.

I don't think you can say one is better than the other, you certainly cannot speak for the future, but right now, we need a Koeman more than an Emery.

Emery speaks English apparently, maybe not enough to be confident alone during press conferences but seemingly enough to communicate with his players.

He was also the man Valencia turned to when Koeman almost got them relegated and had players threatening legal action to get away from the club because of the manager.

As for the idea of knowing the league I'm sure he'd cope okay without the distraction of European football this season. He's clearly a talented coach and as they say the cream always rises to the top. We've got a chance to get him or at least try and get him but for some reason the new fella has decided he'll throw everything at Koeman who's got a questionable record without many pluses.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.