December 12, 2018, 05:42:04 PM

Poll

As the gaffer

Yes
104 (61.9%)
No
64 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 168

Author Topic: Koeman  (Read 119014 times)

June 07, 2016, 11:05:37 AM
Reply #960

montanatoffeefan

And that's fine. He's using us and we're using him, and for him to be able make that bigger move he'll have to impress and deliver some degree of 'success'. And if he doesn't do it, Moshiri's actions so far lead me to think he'll move him on, and aim to find someone else who can.

It's a professional relationship. We don't need to be madly in love with each other to make it work.

If he uses Everton the way Mourinho used Porto, Chelsea and Inter, then he can have the chuckles and salary and steal the silver candlesticks on his way out the window. 
Everton forever.

June 07, 2016, 12:19:37 PM
Reply #961

GoodisonPk

Did someone say something about Foster coming along as well?

Me but i based it on nothing other than a hunch

June 07, 2016, 01:28:30 PM
Reply #962

Alanvideo

.......from The Guardian.........
GOING DUTCH
The Fiver has heard a lot about the future of managers and coaches over the past few days, what with Roy Keane claiming clubs with USA! USA!! USA!!! owners would rather a coach “who’s got the whistle around his neck, a clipboard and a tan, and really white teeth” instead of, presumably, a man more likely to grapple players in his office and get the team to take shots at him in an attempt to embarrass a goalkeeper already lacking morale.

Still, this tendency to appoint a coach completely different to the last failure brings to mind Everton, who after sacking a man unable to teach his players how to defend – despite having the Future of Defending, John Stones, in his team – are hoping to replace him with one of the best centre-halves of all time. Ever since Bobby M went through the door marked Do One last month, driving an imaginary car to a backing track of Jason Derulo, Ronald Koeman has been marked as Farhad Moshiri’s No1 target. And with confirmation imminent it all looks to be a good fit – except, perhaps, for one member of the Dutchman’s backroom staff. Poor Sammy Lee. Almost 200 appearances and several seasons spent as a coach at Anfield will not endear you to those at Goodison, but even by the Fiver’s scanty standards that infamous “Sammy Lee drinks his own [Snip! – Fiver lawyers]” banner from the 2009 FA Cup final was below the belt.

It is hard not to feel a tad sorry for Southampton during all this, too. After losing Mauricio Pochettino to Tottenham two years ago, they are being fleeced again. Victims of their own undoubted success, they will not keep appointing successful replacements and there will also be immediate conjecture about which players will follow Koeman to Merseyside. All the usual names are in the mix to replace him – from André Villas-Boas to, er, Egil Ostenstad. Bournemouth’s Eddie Howe is the bookmakers’ favourite but to gauge how much that means it is worth recalling one particular gambling chain excitedly announcing their market for the next Celtic manager was closed because so much money was put on Keane. And who got that job? A man with glistening skin and a sparkling smile. A lesson, if nothing else, that sometimes veiled barbs can be a tad too obvious.
We are special ,we are Everton.

June 07, 2016, 04:47:28 PM
Reply #963

Trowel

Sky saying Koeman will be announced today.
www.footballitk.com | Football news from those In The Know

Latest Everton transfer news

June 07, 2016, 05:10:12 PM
Reply #964

Lxxx

Lots of people getting their knickers in a twist with the whole 'bigger club' debate. It's irrelevant. Premier League football is now a global brand and you're now only as 'big' as how rich your owners are and your previous few seasons performances unfortunately.

Chelsea were a nothing club until 2003 when seemingly their 'new' history started and now they're included in discussions about European Super Leagues. At that time another 'big' club, Leeds United, were in the Premier League but were just about to implode and now they're a million miles away from the Champions League semi final nights they had under O'Leary.

Everton and Southampton both have billionaire owners and neither have troubled the silverware engravers for a long time. We're both in the same bracket now and it's only really die hard fans of either team who think their is any difference in the clubs.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 05:11:23 PM by Lxxx »

June 07, 2016, 05:20:48 PM
Reply #965

Bigjmill

REMOVED FOOTER TO SHUT Sir Stealth Up !

June 07, 2016, 05:33:03 PM
Reply #966

Lxxx

It's easy to forget how big a deal Koeman is in world football. The guy was a legend internationally for both club and country and the knowledge he must have picked up along the way puts him in a different league to anything we've had previously. If Stones wants to learn anything in which to improve and build his career their wouldn't be many better mentors to choose.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 05:40:15 PM by Lxxx »

June 07, 2016, 05:39:43 PM
Reply #967

Ross

This Koeman threads gone all father ted.

"Big club near far away club small..."
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

June 07, 2016, 05:47:25 PM
Reply #968

Gary1878

It's easy to forget how big a deal Koeman is in world football. The guy was a legend internationally for both club and country and the knowledge he must have picked up along the way puts him in a different league to anything we've had previously. If Stones wants to learn anything in which to improve and build his career their wouldn't be many better mentors to choose.

There aren't many top flight managers around today that were as good as Koeman was as a player, and certainly none defensively. Stones has an ideal opportunity to learn from the very best in his position.

June 07, 2016, 05:50:46 PM
Reply #969

MIG

Do you think that is part of the reason we want Koeman?  To help convince Stones to stay?  I know that won't be the sole reason, but perhaps the reason Moshiri wants him over Emery?

June 07, 2016, 06:00:08 PM
Reply #970

Gary1878

Do you think that is part of the reason we want Koeman?  To help convince Stones to stay?  I know that won't be the sole reason, but perhaps the reason Moshiri wants him over Emery?

I don't think Stones is the sole reason, but rather a small example of what the man himself is able to provide. Koeman is an instantly recognisable football name which has gravitas and weight. His experience and ability as a player is a huge and combining that with his record at Southampton, you can see why he was Moshiri's first choice.

June 07, 2016, 06:04:35 PM
Reply #971

Lxxx

I think they probably had previous as it was an open secret he was in the thinking for Wenger's job when he goes, so Moshiri would probably have been party to those discussions as a shareholder and mate of Usmanov's.  I don't think the Stones angle is a consideration at all.

June 07, 2016, 06:35:00 PM
Reply #972

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
It feels such an anti climax now. Glad we're getting Koeman, but it's dragging on so much that the moment is kind of lost. Still, we should have plenty of awesome moments over the summer with players coming in.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

June 07, 2016, 06:39:43 PM
Reply #973

plumber

I think they probably had previous as it was an open secret he was in the thinking for Wenger's job when he goes, so Moshiri would probably have been party to those discussions as a shareholder and mate of Usmanov's.  I don't think the Stones angle is a consideration at all.

All that Koeman to Arsenal talks are a bit silly.
It was an 'open secret' not so long ago that Martinez was in the thinking for Barcelona manager's work.

June 07, 2016, 06:45:08 PM
Reply #974

Bluedylan

I don't feel like it's dragging on or it's a saga or whatever. Koeman's not long got back from his holiday.

It takes time to sort out getting someone out of a contract, the same with some of the backroom staff.

I really feel like most of this 'drama' is in people's heads. Chill out, enjoy the weather, enjoy other stuff in your life and let things take their course.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.