October 22, 2018, 04:03:54 AM

Poll

As the gaffer

Yes
104 (61.9%)
No
64 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 168

Author Topic: Koeman  (Read 114107 times)

June 07, 2016, 06:47:59 PM
Reply #975

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Do you think that is part of the reason we want Koeman?  To help convince Stones to stay?  I know that won't be the sole reason, but perhaps the reason Moshiri wants him over Emery?

If that's the case Moshiri would've done well to consider what Lovren and Shaw thought about staying at Southampton after Koeman was announced.

June 07, 2016, 06:52:58 PM
Reply #976

MIG

I don't feel like it's dragging on or it's a saga or whatever. Koeman's not long got back from his holiday.

It takes time to sort out getting someone out of a contract, the same with some of the backroom staff.

I really feel like most of this 'drama' is in people's heads. Chill out, enjoy the weather, enjoy other stuff in your life and let things take their course.
Compare it to Mourinho to United and this is practically flying through.

June 07, 2016, 06:55:34 PM
Reply #977

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Though, to be fair, when Koeman got that phone call from Liverpool about Lovren he must’ve thought he’d hit the jackpot managing in the PL:

“So Lovren, Lallana, and Lambert… How much do you want?”
“err, fifty pence?”
“sorry the line’s not great Ron, was that fifty million? call it forty-nine and it’s a deal”.

*Liverpool transfer committee all pat each other on the back about their amazing negotiating skills*

At least there can be no doubt our manager knows what a bunch of fucktards they are across the park.

June 07, 2016, 07:10:21 PM
Reply #978

MIG

"If Ronald Koeman makes his expected move north to Everton, eight of the ten clubs that finished between fourth and 13th in the Premier League last season will begin this summer transfer window with a different manager than 12 months ago. Of the five under-achieving clubs who ended the season unhappy with their league position, Koeman is taking over the team with the most enviable resources and the least pressure. Everton are the Premier League’s ultimate blank canvas in a league of new managerial starts; it’s little wonder that the Dutchman was tempted by a move five places down the table.

Pep Guardiola and Jose Mourinho will be given more money but significantly higher expectations, Jurgen Klopp will need to deliver more than failure in cup finals and Antonio Conte – without the distraction of European football – will see the top four as a minimum requirement for Chelsea. And then there is Koeman at Everton, who will reportedly be given £100m to buy half a new team and then deliver what should actually be par for the club: A top-eight finish and a modicum of entertainment.

Koeman has quietly worked small miracles at Southampton. As I have written elsewhere, ‘it seems absurd that Southampton could in two seasons sell – deep breath – Rickie Lambert, Dejan Lovren, Adam Lallana, Luke Shaw, Callum Chambers, Nathaniel Clyne and Schneiderlin – and not just survive, but thrive’. Each time it seems like Southampton have looked up at a glass ceiling and got dizzy, they have taken a small hammer and made a crack just wide enough to squeeze through.

There will always be those who question the logic of Koeman joining a club further down the table (presumably the same people who scoff at Jamie Vardy potentially leaving the champions for Arsenal), but the combination of a bigger transfer budget, a larger fanbase, the promise of a new stadium and a squad already containing three young footballers valued at more than £40m would tempt all but a handful of Premier League managers. In this job, Koeman will need no hammer because the ceiling is far, far above where Everton are sitting uncomfortably close to Swansea and Watford.

Everton could sell one or perhaps even two of their crown jewels – it looks increasingly like Ross Barkley will be the man left behind – and Koeman would still have the money to create a team to compete with Stoke, West Ham and Southampton rather than trail in their wake like a sulking child. He could build a side with a view to a weak top-four challenge in three seasons’ time and become a hero at a club desperate for a manager to deliver more than ‘phenomenal’ words.

For all the plaudits piled on Barkley, John Stones and Romelu Lukaku, Everton’s fans are so disillusioned that the last two players anointed Player of the Year were Phil Jagielka and Gareth Barry, now 33 and 35. The message is clear: All that glitters is not gold. They have heard enough bulls**t and watched enough predictable football that steady, quiet progress will be welcomed and appreciated. Evertonians will not expect to win a trophy in the next two seasons but they do expect not to be laughed at or ignored.

Everton could conceivably start the season with not just a new manager but six or seven new first-team players, which will be a relief to all those who watched Arouna Kone start 16 Premier League games last season. Even their 18-goal striker and the next Rio Ferdinand leaving the club will not prick the balloons of those celebrating the exit of a naked Spanish emperor and the injection of real money unlikely to be spent on a £13.5m striker from Russia who barely looks like a footballer.

Nil satis nisi optimum? Right now, most Everton fans will settle for better rather than best. Those reduced expectations, coupled with significant resources, make this a very attractive proposition for an ambitious manager ready to put down his hammer, pick up a paintbrush and start making marks on that vast blank canvas."

Sarah Winterburn
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 07:13:06 PM by MIG »

June 07, 2016, 07:11:25 PM
Reply #979

Ari

I'm tired of waiting.  Is it happening.  Is Koeman koming?  :)

June 07, 2016, 07:24:13 PM
Reply #980

MmmblueBernard

I'm tired of waiting.  Is it happening.  Is Koeman koming?  :)

Yes, of course he is coming, unless your name is @Confucius. Who refuses to believe it.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

June 07, 2016, 07:24:27 PM
Reply #981

Trowel

www.footballitk.com | Football news from those In The Know

Latest Everton transfer news

June 07, 2016, 07:58:43 PM
Reply #982

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I don't feel like it's dragging on or it's a saga or whatever. Koeman's not long got back from his holiday.

It takes time to sort out getting someone out of a contract, the same with some of the backroom staff.

I really feel like most of this 'drama' is in people's heads. Chill out, enjoy the weather, enjoy other stuff in your life and let things take their course.

I don't feel it's a saga, everything is being done properly. Just ready to move on with the next phase is all.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

June 07, 2016, 08:02:42 PM
Reply #983

plumber

June 07, 2016, 08:15:34 PM
Reply #984

BlueBeagle

After his Wayne Hennessy (sp?) shout the other day, I'm trying not to take notice of anything Nev says for the time being.

June 07, 2016, 09:03:13 PM
Reply #985

Bluedylan

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/everton-have-accepted-mediocrity-too-long-looks-a-new-age-ambition#:IEdLyY4ab5N9UA

Interesting article on Koeman in 4-4-2, with a few select passages:

...the Dutchman is a manager in high demand. It's aggressive and, for the first time in a generation, it shows Everton behaving in a predatory way.

Ambitious clubs take what they want, they don't just gather low-hanging fruit; this is a big club's move and one which makes a muscular statement.

It's also very astute from a technical standpoint. Before recommending Koeman's appointment in 2014, Les Reed diligently analysed his performance at Feyenoord. What he saw was a manager who overachieved in spite of the financial dysfunction at De Kuip and who, over three years, developed a reputation for building rigidly organised teams in spite of high player turnover.

He was ideal. At the time, Southampton were the victims of a dispiriting talent drain and, as the last two seasons have proved, Koeman's training ground acumen and drill sergeant discipline were the perfect mastic for the club's fractured parts.

Those qualities will be just as valued by his new employer. Who better to cure the club's continual defensive weakness than a manager who, in his only two years in English football, created two of the Premier League's stingiest backlines? While Martinez had the talent available to theoretically deliver on the Champions League promise he made to Bill Kenwright, he was never able to build the encasing structure which would have allowed him to cash that cheque.

Koeman, you suspect, has a far greater chance. His organisational qualities are superior and it's not a coincidence that Nathaniel Clyne, Ryan Bertrand and Jose Fonte all became international defenders under his direction. Not that he employs an overly negative approach either: Sadio Mane has developed into a far more consistent player over the last two years, Graziano Pelle performed well enough to earn his first caps for Italy, and Shane Long is currently playing the best football of his career.

In addition to enhancing existing resources, he's also the right head coach to guide Everton along their likely future course. With new ownership have come bold promises of investment and, with personnel issues to solve in almost every area of the pitch, this could be one of the most ambitious summers in memory.

If that is the case – if a wholesale upgrade is initiated – Koeman's ability to forge a cohesive team in a short space of time will become relevant again. Rival supporters will continue to argue over the merits of leaving Southampton or over what he might have been able to achieve had he stayed, but from Everton's perspective there's no clear downside.

Unlike with Moyes and his cautious football or Martinez and his known fragilities, this appointment isn't a trade-off between good and bad, and the club aren't just employing a coach who has a lack of better options. This Everton – the one making bold moves to suit their purposes – can be reconciled with that glowing history and begin to reconcentrate their diluted culture.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

June 07, 2016, 09:06:52 PM
Reply #986

Evertonian in NC

The "blank canvas" theory is one that I can get behind.  If Rom and Stones both leave, as I expect they will (I think a better chance that Rom stays one last year, only because we are set up for a Stones bidding war and I am not sure anyone will meet our price on Rom), then Koeman will have upwards of 200m to create his own vision here, and ample time to see it come together.

We certainly have enough "bones" in place to be mid-table no matter the growing pains, so we can afford to be ambitious and creative.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

June 07, 2016, 09:18:10 PM
Reply #987

Waltzer

The "blank canvas" theory is one that I can get behind.  If Rom and Stones both leave, as I expect they will (I think a better chance that Rom stays one last year, only because we are set up for a Stones bidding war and I am not sure anyone will meet our price on Rom), then Koeman will have upwards of 200m to create his own vision here, and ample time to see it come together.

We certainly have enough "bones" in place to be mid-table no matter the growing pains, so we can afford to be ambitious and creative.

I agree although within this im a little fearful, yes Koeman has transferred Southampton twice having sold a majority of his squad but I worry if we lost Lukaku and Stones even with 200 million it would be a massive step to satisfy some, and the negativity of finishing 8th or 9th after spending so much would be seen as failure, despite the huge rebuilding work that was done. I think Koeman is just what we need but I think the real proof will be in his second season and there will be ups and downs this coming season.

For me I think we need a new keeper, 2 CBs (if Stone leaves), right back cover, centre mid to replace Barry, left winger and 2 strikers if Rom goes,1 if he stays. Thats a big transition for anyone.

June 07, 2016, 09:23:54 PM
Reply #988

Lxxx

It's only when you strip it down that you realise it's a pretty sizeable rebuilding process the new manager will have on. A load of experienced heads are out of contract, two of our most talented youngsters have expressed a desire to leave in the past 9 months and if they go what you are left with are experienced players heading towards the end of their career, a load of youngsters and a big pot of cash. Arguably there's only Coleman, McCarthy, Funes Mori and Mirallas who you would say were in or around their prime years. It might take the new man a few transfer windows to get the squad he wants.

June 07, 2016, 09:31:59 PM
Reply #989

Bluedylan

Still think we should and will keep Stones.

Big Ronald'll have him defending like a boss in no time.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.