January 26, 2021, 02:39:10 PM

Author Topic: RS / Utd Breakaway talks  (Read 3962 times)

October 22, 2020, 12:24:44 AM
Reply #60

Mayor Farnum

Steve McLaren been on telly saying itís a great idea as it would mean more money trickling down to the football pyramid.

Insert your lols here - ............................. .....

Well we can rest easy. If his seal of approval doesn't put an end to it nothing will.
Ask yourself. "What would Lewis Hamilton say?"

October 22, 2020, 02:00:24 AM
Reply #61

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Steve McLaren been on telly saying itís a great idea as it would mean more money trickling down to the football pyramid.

Insert your lols here - ............................. .....

People still trying to make trickle down economics a thing?

October 22, 2020, 01:21:03 PM
Reply #62

mikey_blue

Look at the kopites and United being best buds in the boardroom. It's hard to take their "bitterĒ rivalry seriously while they're clearly in bed with each other on every shady deal imaginable.

Their top brass should get some half half scarfs on the go.

October 29, 2020, 05:20:29 PM
Reply #64

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Iím feeling that no fans at stadia for the foreseeable future is helping this project progress.

October 30, 2020, 04:04:32 PM
Reply #65

Mayor Farnum

Some form of change is coming. That's starting to look unavoidable.

October 31, 2020, 05:20:19 AM
Reply #66

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Some form of change is coming. That's starting to look unavoidable.

I can see why Real Madrid and Barcelona want it. Same with some of the older Italian teams, as both those leagues are pretty stale. I can see why PL owners would be for it too, as they don't want any threat to their revenue.

Think for anyone with experience of the current system it'd really harm football. It'd harm all other English clubs, as you don't want to have the best teams elsewhere. You want to compete with the best.

And as a spectacle, I don't want to see for example Man United play Juventus all the time. In the CL it has the feeling of a special event due to the draw, if they'd always be playing them the appeal really falls off a cliff.

Also, it would clearly put a financial strain on being an away fan. It'd probably end up being like US sports where there is really only the home crowd plus a few stragglers.

October 31, 2020, 05:09:12 PM
Reply #67

Mayor Farnum

I can see why Real Madrid and Barcelona want it. Same with some of the older Italian teams, as both those leagues are pretty stale. I can see why PL owners would be for it too, as they don't want any threat to their revenue.

Think for anyone with experience of the current system it'd really harm football. It'd harm all other English clubs, as you don't want to have the best teams elsewhere. You want to compete with the best.

And as a spectacle, I don't want to see for example Man United play Juventus all the time. In the CL it has the feeling of a special event due to the draw, if they'd always be playing them the appeal really falls off a cliff.

Also, it would clearly put a financial strain on being an away fan. It'd probably end up being like US sports where there is really only the home crowd plus a few stragglers.

I agree but I think revenue will override any concerns about 'stale' fixtures. The Group stages of the CL is already somewhat of a formality.
As for no away fans unfortunately I think the solution to that will have an effect on the domestic clubs.
Fans of clubs that never have a chance of getting into the European set up will simply adopt a foreign team to support mid week.

October 31, 2020, 09:36:28 PM
Reply #68

YankeeBlue214

NSNO Subscriber

Serie A is awesome, I love it. Very different than the flight most think still exists.

Everything else you said is spot-on though. I don't even think the supporters of these clubs would want such a league. Good-bye derbies, as just a sole example why.
NSNO's CGO. Chief GIF Officer (self-promoted).

October 31, 2020, 10:46:28 PM
Reply #69

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Serie A is awesome, I love it. Very different than the flight most think still exists.

Everything else you said is spot-on though. I don't even think the supporters of these clubs would want such a league. Good-bye derbies, as just a sole example why.

Fair enough, I don't watch enough Serie A. I did watch the last game of the previous season where there were a few in the mix for the final European spot and it was a really good game. So I guess I should give it another go.

October 31, 2020, 10:51:21 PM
Reply #70

YankeeBlue214

NSNO Subscriber
Fair enough, I don't watch enough Serie A. I did watch the last game of the previous season where there were a few in the mix for the final European spot and it was a really good game. So I guess I should give it another go.

It's like most leagues whereas there's a good number of entertaining teams, and a good number of Burnleys lol.

But the top half Serie A sides these days typically play some nice footy. Inter & Milan are re-born of late, and squads like Lazio, Atalanta, Napoli, etc. play some truly quality soccer these days. Might not still be the case, but Serie A had the most total goals scored of any top flight, adjusted for games played, even more than the Prem.
NSNO's CGO. Chief GIF Officer (self-promoted).

January 22, 2021, 01:32:52 AM
Reply #71

Gash

Global Moderator

January 22, 2021, 01:42:44 AM
Reply #72

Cereal Killer

FIFA and the 6 confederations putting the blockers on it.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/12194411/fifa-threatens-world-cup-ban-on-players-who-take-part-in-proposed-european-super-league

£400k a week or play Uzbekistan and Honduras in the first round of the World Cup?

Might not be the great show stopper they hope 🤷‍♂️

January 22, 2021, 02:13:50 AM
Reply #73

Gash

Global Moderator
£400k a week or play Uzbekistan and Honduras in the first round of the World Cup?

Might not be the great show stopper they hope 🤷‍♂️

How many are going to earn that kind of money though? You'll still have plenty players on a more 'modest' salary who will want to play for their country at World Cups, Euros, Copa Americas etc.

January 22, 2021, 02:24:03 AM
Reply #74

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
How many are going to earn that kind of money though? You'll still have plenty players on a more 'modest' salary who will want to play for their country at World Cups, Euros, Copa Americas etc.

And why would anyone give you that money, except maybe for your first contract? Once you're in the special league, there's no going back and clubs will know it.
I didn't even remember I had a signature.