From an Everton point of view i'm made up about this.
Regarding development. The following are already in the pipeline regardless of the games:
- Our stadium (obviously)
- Tobacco warehouse (been ongoing for a generation, but new contractors recently)
- Increasing width/capacity on Derby Road/Great Howard street (the main 'A' road of the area)
- The "10 streets" scheme. (Didn't see confirmation of this being from Oil Street to Saltney or if it is the cluster of Carlton/Clay/Upper William to Saltney/Sherwood)
- A new Northern Line train station (if i was a betting man i'd say it was going on Boundary Street bridge area)
- Liverpool Waters itself (which is the main reason for all of the stuff above)
So don't stress about the common wealth games if you're an Evertonian from outside the region. This is great news for you.