September 18, 2019, 01:53:50 AM

Author Topic: [News]Bramley Moore Dock update  (Read 462333 times)

December 21, 2018, 12:43:39 PM
Reply #75

Bluedylan

A few points about this:

1) It's perfectly reasonable for people to express their disagreement with this decision/proposal, without them being accused of 'moaning', being involved in 'dick swinging contests' etc. It's a complex issue, and whatever your opinion, it's not unreasonable to think we should aim for higher than we are, so let's swerve any ridiculing of opposing opinions please. (I'm not saying that to the majority on here, who are making reasoned arguments btw).

2) Ultimately, sport is about competition, whether that is on or off the pitch. So yes, it does matter what other teams are doing, in relation to what we are doing. We don't exist in isolation. It's right to compare with our competitors. I just don't get the point that gash made saying 'who cares what other clubs' capacities are?'. Of course we should care and it should be relevant. It shouldn't be the only consideration, but it has to be part of our thinking and of the decision making process.

3) We need to get away from this mentality of 'I only want diehard Evertonians in the ground, and sod outsiders/daytrippers/casual fans'. If we go along that route, we never grow and we get left behind. Football is a global market, and if you're not embracing that as much as you can, you're losing to your competitors. We should always be proud of our heritage and our roots and we always need to maintain that connection with L4 and the city generally, but this insular, small minded attitude is ultimately counter productive. If we're going to be successful, we need to open ourselves and sell ourselves to new people from different places. I know that's uncomfortable for some people, given that we use it as a stick to beat the other lot with, but it's just the reality of the situation.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

December 22, 2018, 09:58:04 PM
Reply #76

Bluedylan

I imagine Meis (or any architect designing such an iconic structure) doesn't want his final creation changing or expanding.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

July 17, 2019, 07:08:42 PM
Reply #77

Bluedylan

Just as an aside, chorizo's well better than salami.

July 18, 2019, 10:54:49 PM
Reply #78

Bluedylan

Really enjoyed that clip. Never watched Sopranos. Think I need to change that soon - it's been on the list for a while.

Does anyone think that the increase in sponsor revenue is because we're being run better on the money side of things? Or is it just the growing influence of money pervading into new levels of the game?

The most important thing you just said, is that you haven't watched the Sops. Get it done.

July 26, 2019, 01:16:16 AM
Reply #79

Bluedylan

July 26, 2019, 07:49:13 PM
Reply #80

Bluedylan

Imagine designing something to pretty much universal acclaim. Especially with us lot, and how arsey we can be.

July 27, 2019, 07:11:08 PM
Reply #81

Bluedylan

.......................to be fair i didn't think it was too bad , having a go at football in general rather than Everton alone. The writer calls the plans for Goodison 'genuinely impressive '.

Yeah, think he's just a bit cynical and fed up with football generally, nothing against us. He's alright and I don't think he's a Liverpool fan. He's more coming at it from a social benefit perspective, which isn't unreasonable, and he does concede at the end that we're more likely to consider the social good than pretty much any other club he can think of.